PDA

View Full Version : Ski Shots

skiboy
05-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Let's see some shots of everyone working hard :rolleyes:

André
05-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Skiing outside the course that wasn't line up yet...

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Andre at least put some effort into it...geez!! ;)

André
05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I know I know...Don't you think the handle is too high,not at the hip too ?

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm not one to speculate. My offside turn isn't much better. But, if I was Andy Mapple I'd say: "sure Andre get that handle on your hip chap." ;)

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 04:06 PM

André
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Nice shot Brian! Will you stay that low through the wakes ?

X2M
05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
My hubby. :love: Skiing it up.

Mag_Red
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Nice shot Brian! Will you stay that low through the wakes ?YOU know he does..........Brian's an ANIMAL!!! :headbang:

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 05:10 PM
You won't catch me posting pictures of my wake crossings (all finishing the turn shots for me). Watched some video my wife took of my first couple of runs through our new course. All was missing was the Benny Hill theme in the background. Living and learning.

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Nice shot Brian! Will you stay that low through the wakes ?

Thanks, I'll probably get a little lower in that pull. My onside crossing is very strong. I actually am probably to agressive. I sometimes pull so hard I pull myself forward on the ski. Muscles aren't always the answer. My offside turn needs some work. I get over but feel like I'm on the back of the ski to much. I consciusly tell myself to push down on my front foot like on a gas pedal. It's coming, but my onside turn is head and shoulders above my offside.

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
You won't catch me posting pictures of my wake crossings (all finishing the turn shots for me). Watched some video my wife took of my first couple of runs through our new course. All was missing was the Benny Hill theme in the background. Living and learning.

Well Doug, you need to get a quarter go to the gas station and use the air hose to pump up your stones buddy!! You paid big money for a boat, perfect pass, a ski, the course. Don't get scared lean, and pull. Lean and pull. What's the worst that can happen you fall??? Come on man you've had that boat 3 or 4 years. We want to see some progress. You've got it in you. Seriously, if your not falling your not learning.

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
First, I object to paying for air on general principal. Second, there has been progress, which is easy to see on the video. Notice I said the first time though the course. I failed to mention that I hadn't changed the baseline which was set for 24 mph. Slower is not always better. At 26.x mph later that day, there was some slight improvement.

I got my whole life to improve. And I'm fallin'. You look up OTF in the dictionary and that's me. When you see a guy come out of his ski and instinctively put his hands behind his head, to keep the ski from leaving a mark, he's done that before.

But like you and most of us, the handle could always get down further.

Nice pics by the way.

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
This is so Brian can tell me to get the handle down. ;)

stevo137
05-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Offside fall. Just couldn't hold this one.

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 06:50 PM
This is last year.

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
This is so Brian can tell me to get the handle down. ;)

I didn't tell anyone to get anything down or anything else. I have no buisness giving anyone slalom advice. I'm just a lowly weekend warrior looking for some smooth water and the sound of the wind in my ears.

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey, don't overlook the little winking guy in my post. You can tell me to get the handle down. I need to hear it!

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I saw it, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't upset you. You know it's a kindler gentler TMC TT these days. You can't say Ski ******* or ****** without someone's shorts riding up. ;)

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey, leave my shorts out of it! ;) ;) ;)

I was just about to ring your phone and say "Okay, I'm at the gas station. How the hell do I hook the air nozzle up to this thing."

Unfortunately, I don't have your number. My cell phone would probably die after a minute or two anyway.

I'll take all the advice I can get. Believe me, you're not going to hurt my feelings. I could stand to lengthen the return spring on the chicken switch. After my last OTF, my main concern was not getting blood all over the other guy's Nautique (cuz that would just be rude).

And it must be a kinder gentler TMCowners.com, because nobody has called me out on that second picture yet.

Ric
05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Skiing outside the course that wasn't line up yet... andre, that position looks new school to me. If you are looking at the boat, you'd have it

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Offside fall. Just couldn't hold this one.

Man, with that slack, I hope you didn't try (or at least had a shock tube.

Ric
05-23-2005, 07:03 PM
This is last year.
East TX Ross

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 07:04 PM
East TX Ross

No. I can't remember who it was. I took that picture at the South-central regionals last year. Afterall, I just said "last year." Didn't say it was me. All recent pictures are at home anyway. You guys have seen what I have at work.

LakePirate
05-23-2005, 07:05 PM
And it must be a kinder gentler TMCowners.com, because nobody has called me out on that second picture yet.

It speaks for itself.

:uglyhamme

stevo137
05-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Man, with that slack, I hope you didn't try (or at least had a shock tube.
It wasn't slack Doug, if you look closely, the handle just flew out of my hands. It's tough when you're 90 degrees and tired. You can see the handle flying.

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Cool shot Stevo. :cool:

stevo137
05-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks Bri, my son only seems to get my good falls!
Bought a new camera this year, now if I can only find some decent water!

André
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
andre, that position looks new school to me. If you are looking at the boat, you'd have it
Thanks Ric,coming from you i'll gladly take it.
I did work on opening shoulders up to the boat last year and found a big difference,easier and more stable.I try to take a look at the back of the boat so my head is open as my shoulder.
Is it the proper way to do it?
Do you actually try to look at the back of the boat when getting in position for the acceleration ?
Man,i really want to improve this year...At 41 soon,i just want to proove myself that i can get better at this thing and that my body can give it to me...Anybody know this feeling ?

BriEOD
05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
At 41 soon

Wow man that sucks the better part of your life behind you and all. Have you thought of investing in a burial plot yet? :purplaugh

André
05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Spilled wine...LOL

6ballsisall
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
This is last year.

Thats a sweet pic ETS!! :headbang:

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Just to iterate, that's not me. But thanks for the compliment on the pic. With a borrowed SLR digital, I shot about 100 pictures. 5 were spectacular, i.e., there was a skier in them. 95 were deleted.

6ballsisall
05-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Just to iterate, that's not me. But thanks for the compliment on the pic. With a borrowed SLR digital, I shot about 100 pictures. 5 were spectacular, i.e., there was a skier in them. 95 were deleted.

Hey we would have never known that wasn't you! You didn't want to show that guy up right?

Crash
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Andre, I like the view of your pic...right down the rope, looks cool.

Here's me getting speed accross the wake, once I'm accross I often have too much speed and "crash". Which is why my kids like watching me ski...for my crashes.

rmckee47
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
I've been skiing, on and off, for (gulp) as many years as Andre admitted he has almost reached. But never got as technical as you guys sound. Never had a MC before either. Any suggestions for an intermediate ski and a video or book to study? It's never too late to improve.

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 02:10 AM
I've been skiing, on and off, for (gulp) as many years as Andre admitted he has almost reached. But never got as technical as you guys sound. Never had a MC before either. Any suggestions for an intermediate ski and a video or book to study? It's never too late to improve.

Andy Mapples newest video w/ Gordon Rathbun is pretty good. It's a little dry at points but great instructional

jimmer2880
05-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Andre, I like the view of your pic...right down the rope, looks cool.

Here's me getting speed accross the wake, once I'm accross I often have too much speed and "crash". Which is why my kids like watching me ski...for my crashes.

I had to look very, very close. I would have sworn that you stole one of my pic's.:D

BriEOD
05-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Hey we would have never known that wasn't you! You didn't want to show that guy up right?

I knew it wasn't you for two reasons. You don't ride a HO ski. Secondly, that dude has way different color and stlye hair than the photo of you sitting on the back of your boat.

Crash
05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
I had to look very, very close. I would have sworn that you stole one of my pic's.:D

I thought this was pretty similar to your pic :)

P.S. BriEOD, yes I know it looks like I'm bending at the waist-but it must be the camera angle as I have perfect form :purplaugh

ski_king
05-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Andy Mapples newest video w/ Gordon Rathbun is pretty good. It's a little dry at points but great instructional
I have that DVD and have tried to watch it thru a few times. I think it is impossible, I always fall asleep it is so dry.
But the info it contains is great. I plan to go back to it once I start skiing for the summer.

skisix@38
05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
East tx..... Do you think anyone else but me caught onto the fact that the skier in that picture is being pulled by a RLXi(the other boat that starts with M and ends in bu). That looks like Lago Sante Fe too.

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I knew it wasn't you for two reasons. You don't ride a HO ski. Secondly, that dude has way different color and stlye hair than the photo of you sitting on the back of your boat.

Brian, actually, I've been on an HO CDX for the last year. Of course, that's where the similarities end. But even in the strongest turns, my forearms don't look like that.

East tx..... Do you think anyone else but me caught onto the fact that the skier in that picture is being pulled by a RLXi(the other boat that starts with M and ends in bu). That looks like Lago Sante Fe too.

Well, it was red and an OB, so I figured I could get away with it. Each of the big 3 boat makers were represented that day. Not Santa Fe though. Lakes at Cypress Hills. Beautiful site.

A couple more pictures in this thread. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43&highlight=regionals)

skisix@38
05-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Brian, actually, I've been on an HO CDX for the last year. Of course, that's where the similarities end. But even in the strongest turns, my forearms don't look like that.

Well, it was red and an OB, so I figured I could get away with it. Each of the big 3 boat makers were represented that day. Not Santa Fe though. Lakes at Cypress Hills. Beautiful site.

A couple more pictures in this thread. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43&highlight=regionals)

I just didn't want you getting in trouble with the MC police. Good picture though.

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I think they were distracted by my other post when I posted those. :o

ktn_cmu
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Me last year when I still had the Glastron.

Ric
05-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks Ric,coming from you i'll gladly take it.
I did work on opening shoulders up to the boat last year and found a big difference,easier and more stable.I try to take a look at the back of the boat so my head is open as my shoulder.
Is it the proper way to do it?
Do you actually try to look at the back of the boat when getting in position for the acceleration ?
Man,i really want to improve this year...At 41 soon,i just want to proove myself that i can get better at this thing and that my body can give it to me...Anybody know this feeling ?
no way, I am a hack. I have no idea if I'm looking at the boat or not. I know that you should open your shoulders and face the boat and counter-rotate at the ball but I just muscle out each pass. my form is, let's just say, not pretty, We'll call it a work in progress.

skisix@38
05-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I'll try a picture.....

André
05-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Nice pix Greg!
I'm sure you could answer my question in Ric 's post just above your pic.

BriEOD
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Is that at Okeeheelee Park in WPB?

skisix@38
05-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Is that at Okeeheelee Park in WPB?

Yep! I love those lakes. This was the second year in a row that MC got to pull M3. That's been 175-185 skiers that they pull in one day on two lakes.

Andre, I find that head and shoulders is a fine tune thing that helps my consistancy going from lake to lake. If you feel that you are a hack I'd say you more in the course adjustment area. There I teach skiers to focus on keeping their elbows in tight to your hips through the wakes and all the way out to the bouy until you reach. If you do this properly, the ski will naturally swing under you maintaining its outward direction and get more angle with less speed. If you don't do this properly what you will feel is that you have to turn sharply and while you are still going fast because the ski doesn't swing under you. You loose your angle from the second wake out to the bouy.

Hope that helps!

BriEOD
05-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Yep! I love those lakes. This was the second year in a row that MC got to pull M3. That's been 175-185 skiers that they pull in one day on two lakes.

That place was well designed. For those of you that haven't been there it's a county park with baseball fields, football fields, roller hockey courts, basketball courts, food stands and the lakes around the perimeter. My wife's family is in WPB and my nephew plays baseball there. I always get in trouble because I'm supposed to watch the games and my eyes are on the lakes...DOH!

tcubrian
05-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Just thought I would join the fun...

Ric
05-25-2005, 12:24 PM

Andre, I find that head and shoulders is a fine tune thing that helps my consistancy going from lake to lake. If you feel that you are a hack I'd say you more in the course adjustment area. There I teach skiers to focus on keeping their elbows in tight to your hips through the wakes and all the way out to the bouy until you reach. If you do this properly, the ski will naturally swing under you maintaining its outward direction and get more angle with less speed. If you don't do this properly what you will feel is that you have to turn sharply and while you are still going fast because the ski doesn't swing under you. You loose your angle from the second wake out to the bouy.

Hope that helps!
Man that speaks volumes! Now all I have to do is make this happen on the water!
Skiid yesterday evening, by the way. Girlfriend is learning to drive the course quite well. I need to improve my skiing as I cannot blame it on the driver or the boat!

André
05-26-2005, 12:22 AM

Hope that helps!
Thanks! will work on it .
I actually had that feeling twice last year at the end of the season,where you actually feel the ski swing under you ,both on my offside turns.I have the feeling in my memory of very good and easy turns with lots of angle.

Leroy
05-26-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm sure this has been posted in the past but reading this is really good and getting me interested in a ski DVD. Which ones are the best for learning and improving your skiing? My kid are all interested in learning and nothing like textbook work to start with. Thanks!

I found couple of guys with temp course out Tuesday morning on Morse in a beat up Malibu, but they were taking it down when I arrived.

erkoehler
05-26-2005, 02:13 AM
I'll be heading up to Minocqua, WI this weekend, so hopefully the weather is half-way decent and I can get some pics.

tex
05-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Welcome-Always good to have more Fort Worth!

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM

Tcubrian, where is that?

Ric
05-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm sure this has been posted in the past but reading this is really good and getting me interested in a ski DVD. Which ones are the best for learning and improving your skiing? My kid are all interested in learning and nothing like textbook work to start with. Thanks!

I found couple of guys with temp course out Tuesday morning on Morse in a beat up Malibu, but they were taking it down when I arrived.

I dont have it, but have heard rathburns slalom drills video is good for learning.
Drew ross' video is good and fun with many new camera angles, but his explanations are a bit hard to follow(that's why they make a rewind button).
There is an old HO cdx video out there with wade cox that is pretty good for training
Mapples is good if you already know how to ski and are versed in course lingo. It's slow, but worth every penny to hear anything mapple says and to watch him ski

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
I really enjoy the Drew Ross video, but it is, at times, hard to figure out what the hell he's talking about.

skisix@38
05-26-2005, 11:55 AM
The problem with most of the vidoes listed is that they come from guys who don't have any idea of what it's like to be at 28mph and 15 off. I understand that the technique required is the same for shortline as it is for long line, the difference being the amount of mistakes made. The videos mostly talk about this thing to do and that thing to do and that is all great if you know where you are starting from. Do you know where you are starting from? I run 38 about 30% of the time and sometimes I can't even figure out what I'm doing right and what I need to improve to get further into 39 or run 38 more consistantly.

My advice, get with someone in your club or your buddies that go with you, if they are better then you have them watch and provide simple instructions( keep your elbows into you body after the 2nd wake) and if possible take video. Then you can compare the video to Gordons or Drews and pick one or two things and work on just those until you feel like you have a good grasp on when you do them properly what the ski ride feels like. Then pick a couple more things and start over. That way it's all fun and you have someone to talk to about it.

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Great advice. I'll put in a plug for a day of professional instruction early in the season (and perhaps more if you've got the time).

Ric
05-26-2005, 12:08 PM
I like what you have to say ski6
you are right, I'm at 15 off and it is driving me nuts to not improve
a couple of times out this year I ran 32mph pass like it was nothing but got behind at 34
day before yesterday I couldnt get a good gate to save my life
what happens from one day to the next?
I'd like to come up with some good reference for pullout and turn in at 32 & 34 at these longer lines because I haven't come up with one.
I got several buoys at 34 22off last year but didnt think it was good training to stay at -22 if I couldnt run 34 15off

skisix@38
05-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I like what you have to say ski6
you are right, I'm at 15 off and it is driving me nuts to not improve
a couple of times out this year I ran 32mph pass like it was nothing but got behind at 34
day before yesterday I couldnt get a good gate to save my life
what happens from one day to the next?
I'd like to come up with some good reference for pullout and turn in at 32 & 34 at these longer lines because I haven't come up with one.
I got several buoys at 34 22off last year but didnt think it was good training to stay at -22 if I couldnt run 34 15off

A good starting place is to pull out at the pre-guides and stop pulling out when you go out past the turn balls, from there, glide with the boat straight down course and time your speed so that you are slowing down some when the boat is 1 length(20') before the gates. Then start your turn in, if you timed it correctly you should be turned in before the boat starts to pull on you. Keeping your elbows in tight to your body, lean though the second wake and then make your edge change and maintaining you elbow in position. Ride that position until the boat takes the handle and then reach SLOWLY. Let the ski arc back in toward the wake, get your free hand back on the handle and just maintain your lean through the 2nd wake and do it all over again.

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 04:09 PM
I love how easy it sounds. I love it more when people can make it look that easy.

Practice, practice, practice is what I need, need, need.

tcubrian
05-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Tcubrian, where is that?

If I told you, I would have to kill you....

Brazos River at a place called Tin Top

tcubrian
05-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Welcome-Always good to have more Fort Worth!

Thanks Tex, I have been around a while. I just thought I would be more of a contributing member. Do you do most of your skiing at Marine Creek?

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Ah yes. That was my guess. I've never been there, but I have seen pictures and have a map. ;) Beautiful spot!

Although I hope to see it someday, It's hard to get motivated to make the drive with the boat in tow when this is so much closer.

:friday:

BRAZOS 205
05-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Nothing like the Brazos. I think I prefer Kimbell Bend over Tin Top. Just depends on the number of boats. Great Skiing!!! Don't let out the secret.

tcubrian
05-26-2005, 04:21 PM
True, true...

That's Caddo lake, right? I don't have any shots of the "good" water from Tin Top. That was average water. Although, your shot is making me want to load up and head east!

Maybe we need to have a Middle Coast Ski In

BRAZOS 205
05-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Eastie,
Caddo Lake Canals? Skied once there, I felt like James Bond speeding through the canals.

tcubrian
05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Nothing like the Brazos. I think I prefer Kimbell Bend over Tin Top. Just depends on the number of boats. Great Skiing!!! Don't let out the secret.

I still haven't been to Kimbell Bend. It is on the list. I love the Brazos and I hesitated showing but I trust all the MasterCraft folks! Sssshhhhh

east tx skier
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Yup, Big Cypress Bayou @ Caddo Lake. I won't tell if you don't. Fortunately, they haven't filmed any good water sports movies in my watering hole yet.

My standard line, per my father-in-law, "Lake-o-the-Pines is a great place to ski." ;)

And yes, it is very "Live and Let Die." The alligator I saw last year (my first sighting) is back in the same spot this year. This has shortened that portion of my ski run slightly.

tex
05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks Tex, I have been around a while. I just thought I would be more of a contributing member. Do you do most of your skiing at Marine Creek?
Most of the time. I hope to hit the river more this summer. Are you a native Fort Worth dude? Do you just slalom?

tcubrian
05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Most of the time. I hope to hit the river more this summer. Are you a native Fort Worth dude? Do you just slalom?

Have been in fort worth for about 8 years. Mostly slalom but board occasionally. We are adding the New Dimension Tower to the boat this year. It is on order but won't be built for a few more weeks. I imagine I will probably do more wakeboarding then but my true passion is slalom.

east tx skier
05-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Okay, be gentle. Should probably have put these in the fix my form thread. But I did some frame grabs and got some wake crossing pictures. Handle down is on my list of things to do.

jayocheskey
05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Recently, all my film has been dedicated to catching the 'boarding action' (if we can even call it action) I need to get some of me on the stick -- I can't really compare to you guys, but I'd like to see what I look like.

Man, some of these pictures are AMAZING. You guys go hard.

east tx skier
05-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Actually, this is a frame grab from our mini-dv. I was surprised the quality of the picture was as good as it was.

east tx skier
05-27-2005, 01:39 AM
And another.

André
05-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Very clear pictures for frames grabs Doug...and you have that skiing smile again!

east tx skier
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I was hoping that the lighting was poor enough to block out my pearly whites.

Jorski
06-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Okay, be gentle. Should probably have put these in the fix my form thread. But I did some frame grabs and got some wake crossing pictures. Handle down is on my list of things to do.

Gently intended: "handle down" and hips up...if it feels like the pull of the boat is making you break at the waist...try letting your knees bend instead of your waist.

Breaking at the waist at that point of the wake crossing can lead to a nasty out-the-front fall.

In your next picture (the first half of your turn) you look to be in good shape...sometimes the waist-break can be from rushing the ski around before it has finished carving...put another way, trying to start the pull (too early) before your hips have chance to ski back to the handle. That's right, "the hips skiing back to the handle", not the handle being yanked down to the hips.

One great tip that I received (and I have received so many due my own laundry list of faults) is that you cannot do two things at once while waterskiing...you can decelerate, or you can turn, or you can accelerate; but you can't effectively do two of them at the same time.

Second great tip (like I said, I have had to fix a lot of problems with my own skiing)...when I was learning the course an old guy, much weaker than me physically, but so much better than me technically would quietly comment when I struggled with 15 and 22-off,"you sure turn hard"...one day I finally realized what he had been saying to me...basically if you slow down and don't try so hard the ski can do a lot more of the work...less is more.

east tx skier
06-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Wonderful food for thought, Jorski. I've got a lot of time to work on it coming up, too. :)

skisix@38
06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Gently intended: "handle down" and hips up...if it feels like the pull of the boat is making you break at the waist...try letting your knees bend instead of your waist.

Breaking at the waist at that point of the wake crossing can lead to a nasty out-the-front fall.

In your next picture (the first half of your turn) you look to be in good shape...sometimes the waist-break can be from rushing the ski around before it has finished carving...put another way, trying to start the pull (too early) before your hips have chance to ski back to the handle. That's right, "the hips skiing back to the handle", not the handle being yanked down to the hips.

One great tip that I received (and I have received so many due my own laundry list of faults) is that you cannot do two things at once while waterskiing...you can decelerate, or you can turn, or you can accelerate; but you can't effectively do two of them at the same time.

Second great tip (like I said, I have had to fix a lot of problems with my own skiing)...when I was learning the course an old guy, much weaker than me physically, but so much better than me technically would quietly comment when I struggled with 15 and 22-off,"you sure turn hard"...one day I finally realized what he had been saying to me...basically if you slow down and don't try so hard the ski can do a lot more of the work...less is more.

I think more simply put is to get your elbows into your body at the the finish of the turn and do what you need to do to keep them there until you start to reach for the next ball. Your hands should be down close to your hips but your hands are really just a shock absorber. If your elbows are in tight to your body, the pull is coming through your hips and legs. To ease the speed of your turn, reach out slowly. A fast extension of your arm tells the ski to turn quickly.

BriEOD
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Doug were your ears burning on Monday? MarkP and I were talking about giving you some ski lessons!!

Farmer Ted
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
let's try this....

late turn at #2

Farmer Ted
06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
can he hang on....

Farmer Ted
06-01-2005, 07:38 PM
...not this time

east tx skier
06-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey Doug were your ears burning on Monday? MarkP and I were talking about giving you some ski lessons!!

No, but my head was thumpin'. Come on down.

Britt
06-07-2005, 11:47 PM
finally got a skiing shot. This is my sister driving for the first time too..

MarkP
06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
finally got a skiing shot. This is my sister driving for the first time too..
Well Britt, That has to be one of the best ski shots yet. Great form :headbang:

jpattigr
06-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Last session of last fall!! Need to get some new pics these year. I skiied back to back 5 balls @ 22 off and both times was so happy to make it around 5 that I crashed at the wake!! This year I've got to make it into 28 off!! :D

Britt
06-08-2005, 02:42 AM
a few more

betsy&david Harrison
06-08-2005, 08:13 PM
I tried to attach a pic of me skiing but not sure if it came through. B

BriEOD
06-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Betsy I need to come get some lessons from you. Every photo you post you have text book form and are ripping it! You go girl!! :headbang:

betsy&david Harrison
06-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Well, thanks..wish I was skiing like that now. I'm back at 28/30mph nursing these stupid elbows. I know I'm pushing them too soon because my left is sore..too many ski rides last weekend on them. B

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Looks great, Betsy! Remind me, what happened to your elbows? I recall it required surgery. My father-in-law is nursing a mystery elbow injury that surfaced on his way home from snow skiing this Spring.

MasterCrafting
06-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Not the greatest shot. First run of the year. M-day. Just a warm up...

MarkP
06-09-2005, 12:23 AM
You guys are killing me.. I have to get my camera man to open his eyes!! I know I am skiing better than he is shooting;)

stevo137
06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I know that I posted before but I still enjoy this pic.
I don't think that we could get another like it if we tried.
Was moving very fast that day.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Steve, sure that's you. ;)

stevo137
06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Steve, sure that's you. ;)

LOL Doug, yep, Stevie boy jr. took the shot.
It's tough to get good ski shot pics. I bought a better camera this year.
We'll see if it helps.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-09-2005, 11:34 AM
All I can say after seeeing all these photos is: DAM! you people are some great skiers!!! :toast:

I would post one of me actually skiing that was taken a few weeks ago, but I would kinda feel like a station wagon at a race car convention. :o I dont ski a course, I am just a "fun and recreation" slalom skier so I am not anywhere near the caliber most of you ski at. :worthy:

I sure am impressed with all your pics, your all very awesome skiers!!! :D with alot of hard work and some luck, maybe some day I will be able to cut it up like that.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Post it UMP190. I'm not much more than a recreational skier myself.

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 11:43 AM
LOL Doug, yep, Stevie boy jr. took the shot.
It's tough to get good ski shot pics. I bought a better camera this year.
We'll see if it helps.

On zoomed shots, between focusing (even w/ auto focus), holding the camera steady, making sure the shutter speed is right, and actually snapping the picture before the skier is on the other side of the boat, it's no easy task. Best quality is from an SLR digital on autofire. The above wake crossing shot of me is from a mini-dv frame grab. I was surprised the quality was as okay as it turned out to be (doesn't hurt that it's shrunk down for the web).

Granite_33
06-09-2005, 11:44 AM
..........I would kinda feel like a station wagon at a race car convention. :o I dont ski a course, I am just a "fun and recreation" slalom skier so I am not anywhere near the caliber most of you ski at. :worthy:

I sure am impressed with all your pics, your all very awesome skiers!!! :D with alot of hard work and some luck, maybe some day I will be able to cut it up like that.
The main thing is that you are out there doin it!!! :D

All that matters is being out there..........

06-09-2005, 12:46 PM
OK guys, I will try to post a few pics, bear with me if this dont work. Thanks!! and remember, I am not trying to pass myself of as some awesome skier, I am just a recreational skier that likes to go out and have fun cutting it up the best I can. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/DonSkiing1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/DonSkiing2.jpg

jpattigr
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I bought a Panasonic FZ5 Digital, it has 12x optical zoom with image stablization which is key!! I had the same camera from a few years ago but it took a wave over the bow this spring, and now I have upgraded!! LOL.

This camera takes amazing action shots both summer and winter, Check out the Panasonic cameras for mid price they are the leaders by far.

Good Luck

jpattigr
06-09-2005, 12:54 PM
My fav shot skiing!! My friend Ken rounding Ball 3 28 off, 36 mph taken from the roof of a houseboat that we were on a couple of years ago.
camera Canon A75

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Great shots! Keep 'em comin.

Ben
06-09-2005, 01:14 PM
From last year, hope to get through the course this year. We had a foggy start to the day.... Brother in law takes awesome shots though.

Ben
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, by the time the sun came out, we had switched games.... water quality we degrading....

How do I paste the picture straight in the message, rather than attachment. "insert image" pops up a window I don't know how to use...

Ben
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
a-ha, only one pic per note.

betsy&david Harrison
06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Looks great, Betsy! Remind me, what happened to your elbows? I recall it required surgery. My father-in-law is nursing a mystery elbow injury that surfaced on his way home from snow skiing this Spring.
East Tex...

I caught a rather large girl going down on a seizure. I had may arms around her torso and when she blacked out the dead weight of her fall landed on my elbows. It was the inside of both aka golfers elbows. My pains were felt..1. touching my thumb, on each hand, to my ring fingers and 2. inward rotation was deadly. I couldn't open a jar top if I tried. Hope this isn't what your father-in-law is suffering from. B

LakePirate
06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
B - I have taking my fair share on kinesology classes. You can say pronate/supinate. I will decode for the rest. I gotta use it for something. :D

east tx skier
06-09-2005, 04:58 PM
East Tex...

Hope this isn't what your father-in-law is suffering from. B

Doesn't sound like it. :toast: to your speedy recovery.

stevo137
06-09-2005, 08:15 PM
My fav shot skiing!! My friend Ken rounding Ball 3 28 off, 36 mph taken from the roof of a houseboat that we were on a couple of years ago.
camera Canon A75

Great shots guys! We all do it for fun!
Where is JohnB? He has some great shots from last season.
J, I recently bought an A85 and really like it.
Any tips for good ski shots? The 75 and 85 are very similiar.
(Doug, thanks for the tips)

John B
06-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Stevo,
You said it,"last season".
I still have a lot more of them, but I'm waiting to get some of this season. The camera has been out two or three times,but I don't have the pictures yet.I'll try to get them on Saturday. :D

betsy&david Harrison
06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
B - I have taking my fair share on kinesology classes. You can say pronate/supinate. I will decode for the rest. I gotta use it for something. :D
hey LakePirate...I haven't used my Kines terms in ages. My Ortho gave me clearance yesterday to take it easy skiing...I told him I had already been at it and I got the ol eye roll. Now I either have a small case of tendonitis in my...ok here it goes...lateral tendon band that runs down the lateral side of my left leg at the knee joint. It is the iliotibial tract that is or maybe the problem. He also said I may have a slight meniscus tear because I used this leg for high jump and triple jump in my younger days. So, I am on Mobic for a short time and if I don't get results then we seek further information. I'm falling apart and getting yucky looking because I can't exercise! B

betsy&david Harrison
06-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Stevo,
You said it,"last season".
I still have a lot more of them, but I'm waiting to get some of this season. The camera has been out two or three times,but I don't have the pictures yet.I'll try to get them on Saturday. :D
Hi John..I'm looking forward to seeing your pics from this season. You have a great camera and photographer to go along with. B

John B
06-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Well here the first picture of this season.
I hope to get the course in next week.
That is when I should get some good pictures, I don't know to do without those little orange balls telling what to do.

John B
06-11-2005, 09:54 PM
heres one more

MarkP
06-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Is that a new ski?? what boots are on it??

BriEOD
06-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Those bindings look pretty loose, or is that my imagination?

MarkP
06-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Those bindings look pretty loose, or is that my imagination?
I think that’s how all the kids are wearing them now a days:cool:

John B
06-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Yes,That is my new SixAM with phantom boots.
And yes I like the boots.
The ski I won't be sure about till I get in a course.
I think I like it, but the ball count will that the truth.

MarkP
06-11-2005, 11:12 PM
John, can I ask

What size and your weight?? Is it the 1. or the 1.1

BriEOD
06-11-2005, 11:13 PM
He looks like about a size 6. ;)

John B
06-11-2005, 11:13 PM
They are tight around the bottom of your foot and ankle were they need to be and lose at the top.

John B
06-11-2005, 11:15 PM
medium front, large rear

MarkP
06-11-2005, 11:16 PM
He looks like about a size 6. ;)
Dude,

You got something you want to tell us??

Remember, Don’t ask Don’t Tell!!:uglyhamme

John B
06-11-2005, 11:31 PM
John, can I ask

What size and your weight?? Is it the 1. or the 1.1

Mark, I missed the question. I though you were asking about the boots.
I'm 5/11, 160,and it is a 1.0 My foot is a size 10/12 and I like the medium boot more then the large.

MarkP
06-11-2005, 11:33 PM
And its a 67.5??

John B
06-11-2005, 11:35 PM
no it's a 66

MarkP
06-11-2005, 11:46 PM
That’s good

I have always skied on a 66 and was wondering if I shouldn’t have gotten the 67.5. I am about the same size as you.

milkmania
06-12-2005, 12:00 AM
medium front, large rear

now you're gonna make go back and read the other posts....aren't you!:uglyhamme

MasterCrafting
06-12-2005, 06:21 PM
A shot from the other night. I'm riding my dads friends Kidder Redline its a 68...and i ride a 66 so it was kind of wierd. I thought the ski was really smooth and easy to ride. Anyone else ride that ski? Anyway...i'm working on my slaloming game. I've started to bring the rope in closer to me during the turn, and i dont break at the waist too much anymore. Anyone see anything that i'm not doing right from this pic?

MasterCrafting
06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
another one from the same run (strong side) Oh, and it isnt a mastercraft...Its a Marlin Jet Boat...decent ski boata actually except crossing the wake is bumpy. Hm...not the greatest run...

Farmer Ted
06-12-2005, 07:04 PM
A shot from the other night. I'm riding my dads friends Kidder Redline its a 68...and i ride a 66 so it was kind of wierd. I thought the ski was really smooth and easy to ride. Anyone else ride that ski? Anyway...i'm working on my slaloming game. I've started to bring the rope in closer to me during the turn, and i dont break at the waist too much anymore. Anyone see anything that i'm not doing right from this pic?

Nice shot, that's a monster wake to pass through, should make your Prostar's wake feel like butter.

BriEOD
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Who says you can only get air on a wakeboard? ;)

BriEOD
06-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Guess I need a little more practice.

BriEOD
06-16-2005, 11:37 AM
One more while I'm clearing the flash card in my Digital Rebel.

east tx skier
06-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Had a really productive day in ski school last monday. Really strengthened my off side.

Hey Brian, how are you liking the glove liners. I'm about at the point of throwing them overboard. They seem to be rubbing me worse than gloves alone. I switched to a new pair of the same gloves and my hands have been feeling better. If I put the liner in, instant blisters. What gives?

Ric
06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
are they bunching up inside the glove? Maybe you just have girl hands counselor ;)

BriEOD
06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Doug,

I'm to the point now if I don't wear them I feel that the gloves are to lose. So camp was good? I guess Mark left early, early this morning for the reunion.

east tx skier
06-16-2005, 11:57 AM
are they bunching up inside the glove? Maybe you just have girl hands counselor ;)

That's certainly a possibility. I'd laid off for a couple of weeks when I proceeded to hit the water every day for 7 days and counting.

One problem earlier in the week was that my gloves were worn out. I'd been saving a new pair of Overtons PSIII for just such an ocassion. That helped quite a bit. My hands are getting into shape now. Nice and rough.

Brian, ski school was great. Handle is getting closer to the hips every set. I was dropping my up-side shoulder on my off side. Squaring it much better and hitting the wake much more aggressively on that side now. It really helped to have this week off to ski right after ski school to bang these principals into my muscle memory.

So Mark's heading for the ECR, eh.

stevo137
06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Editing...

JEREMY79
06-19-2005, 05:28 PM
alright yall can laugh at me if you want to. This is the first time I have ever been on one ski. Had to do it on the boom :mad: Boat and boom compliments of MarkP

Britt
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
buwahahahahahah. Just kidding.l Good job man keep it up. I have this problem however where I refuse to learn anything new off the boom. I think its an ego thing. Im sure I wouldnt have half of the body pains I used to wake up with in the morning if I utilized the boom more. Before you know it you will be comfortable long line and want to get into the course.

Britt

JEREMY79
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
buwahahahahahah. Just kidding.l Good job man keep it up. I have this problem however where I refuse to learn anything new off the boom. I think its an ego thing. Im sure I wouldnt have half of the body pains I used to wake up with in the morning if I utilized the boom more. Before you know it you will be comfortable long line and want to get into the course.

Britt

Dont think I didnt try without the boom.

keder21
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
A little slack but what'ya expect with a 20 dollar rope and handle, recently bought a SL rope and handle can't wait to use it. On lake Wallenpaupack in PA behind an 05 X-9!

LakePirate
06-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Way to go Jeremy. Looks like you have it down already.

JEREMY79
06-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Thanks but a long way from anything.

MarkP
06-20-2005, 02:02 AM
Thanks but a long way from anything.
Your on your way man.. It gets easier and easier.. I sure wish I had a boom when I was getting dragged up and down the lake (trying) to get up on one..

MarkP
06-20-2005, 02:13 AM
alright yall can laugh at me if you want to. This is the first time I have ever been on one ski. Had to do it on the boom :mad: Boat and boom compliments of MarkP
Not a “Ski Shot” BUT,

alright yall can laugh at me if you want to. And needless to say I was a little more than a “little uncomfortable” trying this. Thanks for the lesson Jeremy..

BriEOD
06-20-2005, 09:30 AM
So you can teach an old dog new tricks! :uglyhamme How was the reunion?

MarkP
06-20-2005, 09:50 AM
So you can teach an old dog new tricks! :uglyhamme How was the reunion?
Looks like you can.:headbang: .

The reunion you ask?? That’s a whole other thread. Right now I’ve got a little running around to do. I’ll be back in a little while for that one.

JEREMY79
06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Here is another one.

MarkP

MarkP
06-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Here is another one.

MarkP
Hey nice shot Jeremy.

You don’t think Nicki will be angry about the swimsuit one I’m fixin to post? Do You??

JEREMY79
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Let it rip. She never looks. Now that I say that she will look. I'll take the blame though.

MarkP
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Who says you can only get air on a wakeboard? ;)
Brian,

Are you sure that’s a Mastercraft your skiing on??? That wake looks a little rough!! I think you should-a maybe run a rag across the Master craft sticker on the side of that boat when you was fixin to buy it, (just to make sure). Or how full did you have the ballast tanks??

I have a shot like that from last weekend.

This one is me looking for Mt. Supra

BriEOD
06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Brian,

Are you sure that’s a Mastercraft your skiing on??? That wake looks a little rough!! I think you should-a maybe run a rag across the Master craft sticker on the side of that boat when you was fixin to buy it, (just to make sure). Or how full did you have the ballast tanks??

I have a shot like that from last weekend.

This one is me looking for Mt. Supra

Hey Old Timer, with all that yacking you forgot to post the picture. Go drink your Ensure and then post the photo! ;)

BriEOD
06-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Good shot Mark and I'm digging the board shorts. I'm sure Andre and JB will be on you like flies on poop though.

MarkP
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
EeeeeeeeeYep!! I found Mt Supra!!

BriEOD
06-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I think I had to much stuff/people in mine to ski: 5 people, 3 wakeboards, kneeboard, 2 skis, a big cooler, etc, etc. I'm normally not that bad.

JEREMY79
06-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Mark that must be from after we left.

The shorts :purplaugh

MarkP
06-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Mark that must be from after we left.

The shorts :purplaugh
That was the weekend before on my buddies 21 foot Supra.. Bigger wake.

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Okay, a couple more. Handle still needs to get down, but skiing last week felt like when I actually hit the golf ball dead on. Big ice cream ball. In other words, I had a lot of fun and didn't care that my handle wasn't completely down. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 03:49 PM
And one more.

rodltg2
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
you should push your hips up into the handle and that should help bring down the front of the ski.

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, I lied. This is the last one. Okay, one of the last ones.

east tx skier
06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
This really is the last one ... for now.

bepresto
08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
i forgot how hard this was

08-12-2005, 07:32 PM
looks good there presto :toast: :headbang: nice pic!!

jayocheskey
01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
i forgot how hard this was
Getting some work done in this pic.

Ric
01-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Did someone say Ski Shots?!!!!!!!!!

tex
02-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I tried this one the other day and it came out too small. Phat Kat getting ready for his first jump set with dad!