PDA

View Full Version : 87 prostar driveshaft packing

deereman
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
I was told that there should be a drip around the packing nut on our 87 prostar. I drove it around quite a bit over memorial weekend and at the end of the weekend, there was hardly any water in the bilge. is this normal? how much water should be dripping? is it bad if it isn't? thanks in advance, I figured it was kinda important to know.

TMCNo1
05-29-2009, 08:41 AM
I was told that there should be a drip around the packing nut on our 87 prostar. I drove it around quite a bit over memorial weekend and at the end of the weekend, there was hardly any water in the bilge. is this normal? how much water should be dripping? is it bad if it isn't? thanks in advance, I figured it was kinda important to know.

If it's not leaking any more that that, don't touch it!

coz
05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
If it's not leaking any more that that, don't touch it!

Quote check! :rolleyes:

hkallestad
05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I just installed the gore-tex packing rope, doesn't drip, virtually dripless as stated in the product info at skidim.

deereman
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
thanks, initially, it kinda worried me

deereman
06-01-2009, 11:40 PM
i was reading other posts and some said if its really tight it won't drip either but will cause damage--which one is it??
1. its good if its not leaking--don't touch it...or
2. it might be too tight which is why its not dripping and could cause damage

the last thing I wanna do is wreck the driveshaft or something

TMCNo1
06-02-2009, 06:41 AM
i was reading other posts and some said if its really tight it won't drip either but will cause damage--which one is it??
1. its good if its not leaking--don't touch it...or
2. it might be too tight which is why its not dripping and could cause damage

the last thing I wanna do is wreck the driveshaft or something

I've been running ours for 20 years years, adjusted tight enough to not drip any or just the occasional drip that won't leave a damp spot much larger than a biscuit on the doubled up bath mat underneath the stuffing box after two days in the water. What's gonna happen, the bronze and stainless steel catch on fire?

deereman
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM
true, didn't know if something would rub or wear away. thanks #1

TMCNo1
06-02-2009, 01:03 PM
true, didn't know if something would rub or wear away. thanks #1

Most people prefer to let the shaft log/stuffing box drip a couple times a minute or more, but it's a matter of personal preference or not knowing/caring at all and enjoy having a bilge with water in it, contaminating steering cables and creating rust/corrosion everywhere, moisture in the electrical/electronic components and laughing when the boat pizzes water out the bilge discharge,
I'm just not one of 'em.