PDA

View Full Version : White roofs?

Ramhouse
05-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok, been reading the articles of painting roofs white to help the so called global warming. so i'm looking for all the scientiest and enginners here. If we paint our roofs white.....in my opinion that would reflect all the heat back up in the air and cause the air temp to rise and create excess warming....????????????????? Am i right or wrong?

TMCNo1
05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Ok, been reading the articles of painting roofs white to help the so called global warming. so i'm looking for all the scientiest and enginners here. If we paint our roofs white.....in my opinion that would reflect all the heat back up in the air and cause the air temp to rise and create excess warming....????????????????? Am i right or wrong?

Then, in the winter months, any heat is reflected, not absorbed and it will take more energy to warm the buildings/homes, therefore offsetting any savings from the warmer months and equaling everything out. Sounds like a perpetual DA proposition to me.:twocents:

shepherd
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
It's obvious ain't it? Paint them white in the spring, then paint them black in the fall.

But there would be the problem of empty paint cans filling up our landfills and paint factories polluting our air. But think of all the new jobs created for the Mexicans.

flipper
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Okay, I just got done doing mine. Can anybody feel a difference?

shepherd
05-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Okay, I just got done doing mine. Can anybody feel a difference?

I am feeling a little chilly right now. Thanks Flippy. :cool:

captain planet
05-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I think that idea is reserved for certain areas of the country like Florida, southern Calif., Ariz., etc. You know, the same places we should be building solar panels. :rolleyes:

Sodar
05-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I think that idea is reserved for certain areas of the country like Florida, southern Calif., Ariz., etc. You know, the same places we should be building solar panels. :rolleyes:

NIMBY-ism at it's finest! No one wants those big ugly panels here!

VOLFAN
05-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Obama is taking advise from Gore and going to make us all paint our cars white or a lighter pastel color and he is also going to rip up all asphalt roads and replace them with concrete.

Sodar
05-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Theoretically speaking, you are half correct. After just completing an Eco-Construction course, the most promising roof construction is a grass roof or natural roof. Unfortunately, that is not feasible from a $$$$ stand point considering that the structural and waterproofing work increase substantially when you want to stick heavy, wet dirt on top of a building and want the structure below it to stay dry... Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Roofs create a heat island and that is the reason an urban area can retain heat far into the evening and night hours when compared to a rural area. I know that in my industry, white, single ply, PVC roofs are really starting to catch on. In the last 2 years, my company has done all white roofs and 2 built-up roofs with an aggregate finish.

If you wanted to compare aspalt/tile roofs and a white roof, the cooling costs in SoCal would be substanially less with a white roof. As far as heat energy being radiated back into the atmosphere, it is possible, but most likely negligible.

Sodar
05-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Obama is taking advise from Gore and going to make us all paint our cars white or a lighter pastel color and he is also going to rip up all asphalt roads and replace them with concrete.

Not a bad idea actually. California has had talks of placing a moratorium on dark colored cars for this reason.

TMCNo1
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Theoretically speaking, you are half correct. After just completing an Eco-Construction course, the most promising roof construction is a grass roof or natural roof. Unfortunately, that is not feasible from a $$$$ stand point considering that the structural and waterproofing work increase substantially when you want to stick heavy, wet dirt on top of a building and want the structure below it to stay dry... Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Roofs create a heat island and that is the reason an urban area can retain heat far into the evening and night hours when compared to a rural area. I know that in my industry, white, single ply, PVC roofs are really starting to catch on. In the last 2 years, my company has done all white roofs and 2 built-up roofs with an aggregate finish.

If you wanted to compare aspalt/tile roofs and a white roof, the cooling costs in SoCal would be substanially less with a white roof. As far as heat energy being radiated back into the atmosphere, it is possible, but most likely negligible.

Wow, a roof you can smoke, so more smog,! We can't win, I tell ya!:rolleyes::D

TMCNo1
05-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Not a bad idea actually. California has had talks of placing a moratorium on dark colored cars for this reason.

And white clothing with white sunglasses and lens,

Sodar
05-28-2009, 05:31 PM
And white clothing with white sunglasses and lens,

Where did you find my prom pictures?

TMCNo1
05-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Where did you find my prom pictures?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)OMG, I can't stand it!

shepherd
05-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I wonder when the KKK is going to jump on this bandwagon... :confused: