PDA

View Full Version : MCX Stumbles at 3k RPM

rspiecha
05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I had a wierd issue this past weekend. While crusing at 25 MPH, the boat started to shutter. At first I thought I had wrapped something around the prop/shaft and caused the vibration. I turned motor off and checked prop and shaft, nothing. So I start the motor and look at the shaft end at the end of the transmission, didn't notice any wobble. So I start boating again, and the issue was gone. Boated for 3+ hours, no issue. Just wondering what might of happened. One thing I did notice, the engine was running rough when watching the end of the prop shaft on the end of the transmission. Is it possible the engine was stumbling, and created the vibration??? I looked at everything under the boat once back on trailer, and all parts look fine.

Also, I'm still running on the winterized tank of gas. Could this be a bad gas issue, or junk in the fuel filter. I have 82 hours on the boat, and this is the start of the third season on this boat. I have not replaced the filter or fuel pump. Boat has always been rock solid on engine performance.

Thanks

Rob

Jesus_Freak
05-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I had a wierd issue this past weekend. While crusing at 25 MPH, the boat started to shutter. At first I thought I had wrapped something around the prop/shaft and caused the vibration. I turned motor off and checked prop and shaft, nothing. So I start the motor and look at the shaft end at the end of the transmission, didn't notice any wobble. So I start boating again, and the issue was gone. Boated for 3+ hours, no issue. Just wondering what might of happened. One thing I did notice, the engine was running rough when watching the end of the prop shaft on the end of the transmission. Is it possible the engine was stumbling, and created the vibration??? I looked at everything under the boat once back on trailer, and all parts look fine.

Also, I'm still running on the winterized tank of gas. Could this be a bad gas issue, or junk in the fuel filter. I have 82 hours on the boat, and this is the start of the third season on this boat. I have not replaced the filter or fuel pump. Boat has always been rock solid on engine performance.

Thanks

Rob

I have had this happen more than once on a lake that is normally laden with debris on or near the water surface. Somehow, stuff is clinging to the prop for short periods of time, and then it appears to be gone. Sometimes, I have had to come to a stop, put it in reverse for a few seconds, and then go again. After these very short spells, the problem is gone for good. I dont know if it is rope, weeds, big catfish, or what.

You said you checked for this after cutting the boat off...perhaps the motion of the prop was keeping whatever it was hung in there. Then, with the prop off, it sunk. :confused:

rspiecha
05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
The issue seemed to go away after turning the motor off, more than just stopping and starting the prop. But a good idea. I'm really thinking something was up with the motor.

Thanks

Rob