PDA

View Full Version : Amp Question

jayocheskey
05-23-2005, 01:43 AM
QUESTION -- I just purchased a set (2) of Pioneer oversized 6.5" speakers. I have four 6.5" Clarion speaker separates factory installed already. From what I understand, the installed head unit only pushes about 15 to 20 amps to each of the four speakers; they are rated at 100 watts peak and like 50 watts continuous power -- the Pioneers I just purchase are close to the same.

HERE IS MY THOUGHT -- Can I get a 4 channel amp and run the two tower speakers and the two rear speakers off the amp for improved sound performance? I would really like to hear a DRASTIC improvement. Any specific product guidance (best amp for the job) is greatly appreciated. Lehman's terms please.

jayocheskey
05-23-2005, 01:55 AM
I'd like to hear as many possible solutions as possible. I'm not trying to shake the lake, but I would like the sound to have more power without distortion.

wesgardner
05-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Hey Jay,

Here's a link to get you started down the long road...
http://www.bcae1.com/

You're correct, the head unit has limited power (rated in watts) to drive speakers - some folks have set up their system utilizing the head unit's speaker level outputs to drive the front speakers in the boat the reasoning being folks might want a quieter spot to be in and with the fader control, you could do that...

I tend to NOT buy expensive equipment as it just gets eaten by the marine environment (my boat's in the water most of the time)...

Kicker, Infinity, polk audio - these will get you there...

Wes

RackAtak
05-23-2005, 09:27 AM
I have a JVC head unit and 4 Polk Audio DB650's. I installed a Sony Xplode 600 watt amp using the speaker level inputs from the head unit to the amp instead of the RCA connections and it made a TREMENDOUS difference. Very clear, very loud and adequate bass without a sub.

jayocheskey
05-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Wes, thanks for the info. That website is very educational. I appreciate your help

OhioProstar
05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
The important thing is to find an amp with cross-overs. Most head units do a decent job of this, but when you hook the inputs up to a amp you will want to control the low end sound since that is normally what sounds distorted at higher power levels. Personally I am a JBL fan, but Sony, Fosgate, Alpine, JL all make good amps. Ebay is a good source.

www.sounddomain.com
www.etronics.com

pmack
05-25-2005, 01:57 PM
What about the Clarion Marine amps...specifically the APX480M? Has anyone had any experience with it or heard anything about it? I am considering an amp and was looking between it an the JL 300/4. I'm leaning toward the clarion because it is "marine" and the amp will be stored under my driver console near the head unit (it will be somewhat exposed, but not much). Any comments would be helpful.

jayocheskey
05-25-2005, 04:31 PM
I was wavering between the two as well. I talked to GP Audio (they do all installs for Texas MasterCraft) and their recommendations were JL Audio and Alpine. They said the quality is night and day from the Clarion amp to these two. The marine aspect was a "non-factor" if installed in the correct location on the boat.

I am going to spend the extra cash and get the better amp (JL Audio 300/4) I know it will be worth it in the long-run.

pmack
05-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. What is the "correct" location to install? I have the factory Clarion speakers in my 210 and just got a Clarion CMD4 head unit. I don't have a tower and will just be running the 4 stock speakers. I just want a louder, crisper, cleaner sound. I want it to be a painless install as well, so the closer to my head unit the better. Did they tell you where the correct location is?