PDA

View Full Version : fried petrol pump....

sizzler
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
well you can guess what i did on saturday night......

last run of the day.....glass water.....had to have one last foot......great run and the boat then died......i had run the boat to about a 1/3rd full of petrol and it fried the pump....***..

its not the first time i have done it,and i was friggin fumin.....i had another 4 days to go at the lake and lots of guests coming up to visit..the mastercraft dealer would not be open until the tuesday morning and was a 180mile round trip away...i was gutted.....

i stripped the pump out of its housing and took it to a car spares shop....we offered the pump up agst a whole load of in-tank petrol pumps and the one that came out as close as could be was from a Fiat UNO 146....i fitted this back into the pump housing and rewired the terminals to suit...put it back into the tank and attached the fuel lines......

she started up like a dream....it was a 1/4 of the cost of a new MC pump...and i had the boat back running in a matter of hours....

now...i'm sure that someone will chime in here with some stuff about engine management and maping...but...it got me out of a fix.......

dont do this if you are not sure what you are doing(like me).......perhaps i was just lucky...

JohnE
05-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear it worked out OK Sizz. 4 days without the boat would have really sucked. You probably would have ended up with a monster hangover. I know I would have.

Chicago190
05-28-2009, 02:36 PM
As long as it's maintaining enough flow and pressure I don't see a different pump being a problem. Did you try to look up the specs on the new pump to see if they are adequate for whatever boat you have?

sizzler
05-29-2009, 01:53 AM
specs were the same....pressure etc.....

i have gd flow from the pump to the engine......and i know now how to get myself going again without the 400 we have to spend on the complete pump/filter/cage package....

BrightonWake
02-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Hi Sizzler, hows that boat running, do you still have the Fiat pump fitted? We are having a similar problem and are looking for a pump to fit that will last longer than the Carter one that has just broken again after buying a new complete fuel module only about 18 months ago.

Thanks,

sizzler
02-22-2010, 11:38 AM
the boat is running fine.....no probs......and i know that you can run a Fiat dry without frying it.......i have a back-up one as well now,,,,,also from a Fiat.....pump cost me 100 instead of the 400 we are quoted for the carter pump..its due to go in for a service in the next couple of weeks(routine one i have every year)......but,everything is fine.......:D