PDA

View Full Version : HELP... Ran out of gas now won't start

toothawk
05-23-2005, 12:01 AM
I have a new (to me) 2003 X-10 EFI... was out on the lake today and ran out of gas. Well, in my defense the gauge still read 1/2 of 1/4 left so in my book we still had plenty of gas (guess I need a new book). Anyway, it konked out... tried starting again, ran a few seconds and konked out again. Tried starting again and again, nothing. Then got towed back, refueled and now won't start at all. BUT, I don't hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key. Is it poss I blew the fuse to the fuel pump and if so, WHERE IN THE HECK IS THE FUSE for the fuel pump??? Oh, I figured out it may be the fuel pump because I don't hear it run and I took off the round silver thing on the top on the engine where the fuel injectors are and no gas squirting when I turn the key. Help me PLEASE..... any thoughts out there????

André
05-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Me think you gonna need a new fuel pump.You ran this one dry and they don't like it.Happen a lot ,do a search here and you'll see it being discuss many times.

boatwake
05-23-2005, 09:08 AM
MYMC warned me not to run these in-tank fuel pumps dry. He stated you can burn them up pretty easy. Not sure how you would check it, but I would start there.

Diesel
05-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Fuel pump for sure............

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey toothhawk,
IMO, the best fuel gauge is the one where you unscrew the round black floor plate and look to see the fuel level. As you probably have learned, do not trust the fuel gauge.
Mine is whacked too...btw.
P

toothawk
05-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Well, may be an expensive lesson but one not to be repeated that's for sure.... thanks for the imput....

jayocheskey
05-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey toothhawk,
IMO, the best fuel gauge is the one where you unscrew the round black floor plate and look to see the fuel level. As you probably have learned, do not trust the fuel gauge.
Mine is whacked too...btw.
P
I am in total agreement here. My gauge also reads about a quarter of a tank more than is actually in the tank. The only reliable solution is to see the level for yourself.

planoboy
05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
See linked thread. I think I my fuel pump relay went out. Schematic supplied by Engine Nut might help you. The Relay on my boat (Vdrive) is located fwd engine portside right above starter.
Pin numbers are marked inside and outside relay.
Regards,
Plano
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2994

rick s.
05-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Don't know if this will help, but a couple of years ago was out on my friends Air Nautique. Boat quit out in the middle of the lake and we cranked and cranked to motor trying to get it to start. Got towed back to the dock (it wasn't far thank goodness). Not out of gas. Cranked some more, with no luck. Out of desperation I unscrewed the fuel fill cap and the boat started right up.

Not saying that this is your problem, as it sounds like the fuel pump, but you might try it.

Engine Nut
05-23-2005, 03:53 PM
See linked thread. I think I my fuel pump relay went out. Schematic supplied by Engine Nut might help you. The Relay on my boat (Vdrive) is located fwd engine portside right above starter.
Pin numbers are marked inside and outside relay.
Regards,
Plano
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2994
Don't use that diagram for a newer engine! It is only good for MEFI 1 or MEFI 2 ECM's where the fuel pump driver is a 12V signal. Newer engines, with the smaller square shaped ECM, have fuel pump drivers that complete a ground path rather than supplying voltage. I have attached a diagram for the newer system. By the way, the fuse for the fuel pump is loacted near the ECM, inder a cover with two other fuses. I have included a diagram. The fuses are located under the cover indicated by number 2 on the diagram.

Engine Nut