PDA

View Full Version : 88 Tristar cooling system issues

jgpncll
05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
First I want to say that I am new to the forum and will appreciate any help or advice given. I have done some searches on what I am asking.

I am new to owning mastercrafts. I bought my tristar last may.

Now I will get to the problem. My tristar is equipped with a ford 351. My cooling system does not cool properly according to gauge and buzzer. At idle it seems to do ok most of the time and at low throttle it seems to do ok.

Last year I used the boat in the water for about 20 hours and did not have cooling system issues. Boat now has a total of 302 hours on it.

This year before putting the boat in the water I replaced both exhaust manifolds, all cooling system hoses, rebuilt the carb, converted the points ignition to electronic ignition. After doing all of this work I took it to the lake and noticed the coolant temp gauge going to almost 190 and the buzzer sounding.

Last week before going back to the lake I removed thermostat, replaced thermostat with 160 degree thermostat and replaced impeller(old impeller was fine). After replacing thermostat and impeller I am still having the same problem.

Are these temperature sending units known for giving problems? If so where can I find one?

What temp is too hot on these boats?

etduc
05-28-2009, 10:04 AM
First I want to say that I am new to the forum and will appreciate any help or advice given. I have done some searches on what I am asking.

I am new to owning mastercrafts. I bought my tristar last may.

Now I will get to the problem. My tristar is equipped with a ford 351. My cooling system does not cool properly according to gauge and buzzer. At idle it seems to do ok most of the time and at low throttle it seems to do ok.

Last year I used the boat in the water for about 20 hours and did not have cooling system issues. Boat now has a total of 302 hours on it.

This year before putting the boat in the water I replaced both exhaust manifolds, all cooling system hoses, rebuilt the carb, converted the points ignition to electronic ignition. After doing all of this work I took it to the lake and noticed the coolant temp gauge going to almost 190 and the buzzer sounding.

Last week before going back to the lake I removed thermostat, replaced thermostat with 160 degree thermostat and replaced impeller(old impeller was fine). After replacing thermostat and impeller I am still having the same problem.

Are these temperature sending units known for giving problems? If so where can I find one?

What temp is too hot on these boats?

When was the last time you back flush the raw water intake hose? Check the transmission cooler screen. (Disconnect the raw water hose, visually inspect and clean.) Check your raw water intake, for blockage.

damaged442
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Etduc, I was thinking the same thing. A few years ago, I had new impeller and new thermostat in mine, and it was still running warm, about 180-185 F. Took the intake hose off and it was packed with pine needles. Cleaned it out, problem solved!! Normal operating temp for my 351 in my Tristar is about 145-155 F.

I haven't seen an issues with the sending unit, but I think that it would be a works/doesn't work type of thing. I would assume if your buzzer is sounding and the gauge reads 190, things are working properly there. Good luck!