PDA

View Full Version : 89 ps fuel gauge - what to replace first?

helton333
05-23-2005, 12:24 AM
My fuel gauge is only right one time - at fill up. It reads everything else under the sun, from full to empty and back, particularly when going down the lake. It does not jump around, it just seems to always be wrong, way wrong.

Any ideas? replace the gauge or something back on the tank which in my boat is behind the rear seat?

redmike
05-23-2005, 12:35 AM
just went through this on my 88, so i will try to help. get to the fuel tank sending unit, remove the center post wire, and with the key on, ground it to the other post. Look at the gauge; it should read full, if not, the sending unit is either bad, or you have a bad connection, try cleaning the post. if you do need a new sending unit, skidim has them for about 30

jamisonsbrodie
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
I have a 90 model that was always wrong also. I pulled out the sending unit and found it to be turned the wrong way, therefore it was getting hung up on itself. I turned it, making sure that it didn't get hung up on anything as floated up or down, such as the side of the tank and now it's accurate for the first time since I bought it 3 years ago.

east tx skier
05-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Sending unit was the culprit on my 93.

redmike
05-25-2005, 04:17 PM
forgot to mention before, the sending unit was the problem; cork float got saturated :(