PDA

View Full Version : 87 prostar steering wheel

deereman
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
anyone know how to take the steering wheel off a 87 prostar? it is on there crooked and it kinda bothers me, but I have no clue how to remove it. any help is appreciated.

pkskier
05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I have an '87 TriStar, but have no idea how to remove the steering wheel. I was looking forward to the responses, so I thought I would give you a bump.

east tx skier
05-28-2009, 12:32 PM
If it's anything like a steering wheel on a mid nineties Pro Star, it's about 5 star headed screw and one large nut under the plastic cap.

shepherd
05-28-2009, 12:43 PM
If I remember correctly, on my '90 and/or my '03, I just had to remove the center cap and there was one nut that held the wheel on. My memory is a little shaky on that though.

TMCNo1
05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
anyone know how to take the steering wheel off a 87 prostar? it is on there crooked and it kinda bothers me, but I have no clue how to remove it. any help is appreciated.

Here it is and other options in the same style on the site, http://www.grantproducts.com/c-94-challenger-series.aspx and
http://www.grantproducts.com/pc-27-94-414.aspx (http://www.grantproducts.com/pc-27-94-414.aspx)

These steering wheels are available at Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly and most any auto parts chain stores too.

Pop the center cap off with a screwdriver against the steering wheel center hole, in one of the indention's on the side of the cap. Use a piece of duct tape, sticky side out in a loop, stick it to the cap and gently pull it out of the hole in the center of the wheel or you'll be screwing with it trying to get it out for hours. Underneath the cap is 3 bolts that hold it on the hub. The hub is bolted on the steering shaft with one big nut, but removal is not necessary IIRC.

deereman
05-28-2009, 10:22 PM
thanks, that should help. i was screwing around trying to take off those 12 or so bolts on the edge and it got me nowhere, so this answers my question

TMCNo1
05-29-2009, 08:40 AM
thanks, that should help. i was screwing around trying to take off those 12 or so bolts on the edge and it got me nowhere, so this answers my question

The 12 screws only connect both pairs of bars on the wheel and there is just a black plastic spacer in between, and yes, they don't have anything to do with attaching the steering wheel to the hub/shaft.

O2BESOHUGE
05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
I Had An 89 Which Is The Same Boat...mine Was The Same Way - Boat Went Straight But The Wheel Was To The Left A Little Bit. It Drove Me Crazy! You Take The Center Cap Off And There Is A Nut On A Splined Shaft. Its Not Hard To Remove. Put Some Wd-40 On The Shaft And Gently Pull The Wheel Toweard You. Its Not On There So Tight You Have To Have A Wheel Puller Or Anything. Make Sure You Line The Rudder Up Straight When You Do It And Mark The Shaft Which Way Is Straight. Take The Steering Wheel Off And Then Just Slide It Back On Where It Needs To Be. Shouldnt Take You 5 Minutes. Not A Big Deal To Fix At All.

Good Luck!

Note: You May Want To Do It In The Water, Because Sometimes The Boat Will Pull To One Side Or The Other. Mine Did And I Had To Align It Again.

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I need to remove the cable end from the steering wheel under the dash. I think there are three bolts that hold it to the dash. Is removal as easy as just taking these bolts out and sliding the cable assembly off the steering wheel shaft?