PDA

View Full Version : rudder ?

flat broke
05-26-2009, 03:48 AM
hey guys had a bad experience this weekend trying to pick up someone from the dock. some dumb morons "putting that very nice" were fishing all three sides of the dock. as I was pulling up I asked the to reel in their lines and they did not :mad: while trying to pick up my passenger and tell the moron what problems he is causing it was very rough and I was lucky enough to touch the rudder on a rock TWICE ouch :( once back on the trailer I visually inspected the prop and rudder the prop has no gouges or any bent blades the rudder feels like it has very slight scuff to the bottom but nothing to were you look at it and can see anything bad. so my ? is I did a technical test on it "the wiggle test" it has very small movement front to back side to side is this normal ? prior to this I have never grabbed it to feel if it had any movement. any info or help would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

bigmac
05-26-2009, 08:18 AM
If it's not binding and isn't leaking, then it's probably OK.

Even though your prop "looks" OK, it still may be damaged. I'd take the boat out and run it around, see if you have any vibrations at any speed.

JimN
05-26-2009, 09:28 AM
hey guys had a bad experience this weekend trying to pick up someone from the dock. some dumb morons "putting that very nice" were fishing all three sides of the dock. as I was pulling up I asked the to reel in their lines and they did not :mad: while trying to pick up my passenger and tell the moron what problems he is causing it was very rough and I was lucky enough to touch the rudder on a rock TWICE ouch :( once back on the trailer I visually inspected the prop and rudder the prop has no gouges or any bent blades the rudder feels like it has very slight scuff to the bottom but nothing to were you look at it and can see anything bad. so my ? is I did a technical test on it "the wiggle test" it has very small movement front to back side to side is this normal ? prior to this I have never grabbed it to feel if it had any movement. any info or help would be greatly appreciated thank you :)

Aside from the fact that they were fishing at a boat launch, if you weren't moving fast and the water was calm, it probably didn't hurt anything. If you suddenly have water coming in, it may be from cracking the rudder mount. Grab the rudder and see if it moves when you try to move it.

TMCNo1
05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Just take a fine file and clean up the scuffs on the bottom of the rudder. I agree with everyone else, if it's not leaking and it still steers OK, just live with it.

flat broke
05-26-2009, 01:05 PM
hey guys thanks for the reply and info :) it does not feel weird or abnormal when in operation. how or where would I look to see if it is leaking ? and if it is what is the repair needed ? sorry this is my first direct drive boat.

TMCNo1
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
hey guys thanks for the reply and info :) it does not feel weird or abnormal when in operation. how or where would I look to see if it is leaking ? and if it is what is the repair needed ? sorry this is my first direct drive boat.

Pull out the rear seat and the panel behind the seat and you can then see the rudder port with the tiller arm on top, hooked to the steering cable and if water is dripping down from the top of it or around the base of the port, you may have an issue.While your at it, add a couple shots of grease to the zerk fitting on the rudder port to lube and seal the rudder shaft and port if it hasn't been done recently.
If the rudder port would need replacing, you can get one here, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm or probably from a MC dealer.

flat broke
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
sweet thanks guys I will check it out this weekend hopefully I will have the time!

flipper
05-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Next time run through the fishing lines. You warned them, they didn't want to get out of the way......

I did that to a guy, not on purpose I just didn't see his line in a marina. It was narrow and he cast out 3/4 of the way across. I broke his line and took his pole into the drink. He came out of his house boat yelling at me asking what my problem was. I told him that he was in the wrong, I didn't see it, and fishing 3/4 of the main passage way into the marina, what did you expect? I dove in, got the line off my prop, by then he realized that he was wrong, apologize, so I gave him his line back so he could pull his pole up though at first I didn't intend on doing that until he apologized.

flat broke
05-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Next time run through the fishing lines. You warned them, they didn't want to get out of the way......

I did that to a guy, not on purpose I just didn't see his line in a marina. It was narrow and he cast out 3/4 of the way across. I broke his line and took his pole into the drink. He came out of his house boat yelling at me asking what my problem was. I told him that he was in the wrong, I didn't see it, and fishing 3/4 of the main passage way into the marina, what did you expect? I dove in, got the line off my prop, by then he realized that he was wrong, apologize, so I gave him his line back so he could pull his pole up though at first I didn't intend on doing that until he apologized.

trust me next time it's ON like a mo fo! now I know why I don't carry a fire arm in the boat!