PDA

View Full Version : A word of advice...

BriEOD
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to share a word of advice with you all. As we come into boating season make sure you have tools and backup equipment in your boats. We were out today for a few hours. After I skied a few sets my daughter wanted to kneeboard. I don't know why I did this but on a whim I lifted up the engine box and the bottom of the boat had red fluid in it. :eek: Transmission fluid as it would be. Anyhow, one of the hoses from my tranny to the cooler had a pretty good tear in it about 1/4" in length. It's almost 20 years old so not a big issue. Fortunately I had some duct tape and zip ties to make a temporary patch. I also had tranny fluid and a funnel in my tool kit. My resovoir was WAY low. We cruised back to the ramp and called it a day but we were about 6miles from the ramp. The moral here was that I had all this stuff with me. Otherwise I would have been flagging someone down for a tow. So, make sure you have some things in your boat in case you end up in a jam.

André
05-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Ok Brian,just ignore my last question in the Bat turn thread.
Sorry about your troubles.Will you change both hoses at the same time ? Might as well...Good that you had stuff to get you back to the ramp,you could have wave a Malibu...

BriEOD
05-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I'll replace em' both. Stuff happens ya know. I've never, ever seen a Malibu where I ski. A few MC's, a CC now and then and one Supra Launch is about it.

Tennesseeski
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Glad it all worked put for you man. I had a bad day also. I forgot to put my plug in and almost sank the boat. Standing there thinking why are my feet geeting wet??? That is the first time I have done that and I hope the last. Could always be worse! Can laugh at it now. Friends all got a big kick out of me tearing the glove box open to find the plug. :uglyhamme

André
05-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Well,the one that never forgot to put his plug in may trow you the first rock.I know i can't!!!
On a side note,your text color is really hard on the eyes!

Tennesseeski
05-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Well,the one that never forgot to put his plug in may trow you the first rock.I know i can't!!!
On a side note,your text color is really hard on the eyes!
Sorry guys! I guess it is a bit now that you mention it. I saw a guy sink his smoker one day the same way. All that was out of the water was the nose.

bradamerry
05-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Brian glad you caught it wnen you did!!!! Transmission are not free!!! :eek:

SKI*MC
05-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Wow, i suppose i should check under the engine box more often

whitedog
05-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Yea, it never hurts to check under the motor box. Did the same today and got sprayed with water. :( Manifold hose sprung a leak. We were close to a buddies place so I stopped there and made a temperary replacement with some heater hose and got on with the day. Spent about 4 hours pulling skiers and got a couple of runs in myself. :D

wakesport
05-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Yea, it never hurts to check under the motor box. Did the same today and got sprayed with water. :( Manifold hose sprung a leak. We were close to a buddies place so I stopped there and made a temperary replacement with some heater hose and got on with the day. Spent about 4 hours pulling skiers and got a couple of runs in myself. :D

Too windy here to ski. Where are you at?

whitedog
05-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Janesville on the river. West wind rarely bothers. Just about always some place with calm water, more problems with jet skiers messing up the water when trying to get a footin run in.

betsy&david Harrison
05-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a working weekend for many of us. Our housing for the impeller blew yesterday. Part will be in on Tuesday. We are also changing the steering cable...never could find the lost part of the back zerk. Called MC and the guy chuckled when we asked about not being able to find the correct size zerk. You can only get it from the dealer. Not sure what else is going on under the hood. Lucky for us a friend lent us his boat for today. I guess we'll be putting her back together next Sat. Great timing... :(

Bongo
05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Speaking of a sinker, I saw this on Old Hickory Lake this weekend. Not sure what happened...

Good news: This bildge pump was still running on Sunday (I first saw this Saturday). The stream is just forward the blue bumper floating in the water.
Bad news: The bildge pump ain't keeping up.

Curious to find out what happened. He's in the deepest part of the channel. 75' across the main channel and he'd have been in 2' of water. Or upstream 300 yards and there's a public landing and shallow water.

Bongo

east tx skier
05-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Way to be observant. Got some good skiing in this weekend. My brother in law had to get a tow today due to electrical issues. Very glad to hear you didn't get stranded.

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Way to be observant. Got some good skiing in this weekend. My brother in law had to get a tow today due to electrical issues. Very glad to hear you didn't get stranded.
Doug, isn't he riding in a Supra???? :noface:

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah, 98 Comp with an indmar 350 carb'd. He'd just put a new battery in. I tried to ski with him a week or so ago and he had what seemed to be a dead battery (no blower no nothing), so we just walked to the bar next to the ramp and enjoyed ourselves.

Now he's just getting a click. I'd say it's the starter, but nothing electric works. New battery, so something's got to be amiss somewhere in between.

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, 98 Comp with an indmar 350 carb'd. He'd just put a new battery in. I tried to ski with him a week or so ago and he had what seemed to be a dead battery (no blower no nothing), so we just walked to the bar next to the ramp and enjoyed ourselves.

Now he's just getting a click. I'd say it's the starter, but nothing electric works. New battery, so something's got to be amiss somewhere in between.
sounds like a Supra to me :purplaugh ... Just kidding... Not really! :rolleyes: Maybe a CHEV :confused: Y!!!!

redmike
05-23-2005, 12:40 AM
doug, stupid ? but has he checked all of the grounds? sounds like that is what it could be?

east tx skier
05-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Easy on the other boat co. using indmar, brad. ;)

As for the problem/fix, I haven't talked to him. My wife talked to him briefly while he was being towed. We were heading out the door to go skiing and he wasn't there when we called once we were back home. Sounds like something's loose to me. I'll mention it to him.

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 01:39 AM
Easy on the other boat co. using indmar, brad. ;)

As for the problem/fix, I haven't talked to him. My wife talked to him briefly while he was being towed. We were heading out the door to go skiing and he wasn't there when we called once we were back home. Sounds like something's loose to me. I'll mention it to him.
Maybe just a Chevy thing???

jayocheskey
05-23-2005, 01:47 AM
If you've never had boat trouble, you haven't been around boats long enough. Right? Better to be prepared for anything. Getting towed is SO embarrassing.

erkoehler
05-23-2005, 02:05 AM
What do you guys usually keep in the "tool kit"

milkmania
05-23-2005, 02:58 AM
took a huge tool kit this weekend to the lake.........

didn't matter!!!!!!!:rant:

http://www.writeonrice.com/spring.jpg

X2M
05-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Me being a dumb blond...What broke?

milkmania
05-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Me being a dumb blond...What broke?

hehe

those are the leaf springs on my boat trailer...
went across the guard shack's speed bump.....VERY VERY slowly as usual, and I heard metal banging/clanging on the pavement...looked back and saw 2 of the 3 missing springs:eek3:

beats me if I know where #3 is:o

X2M
05-23-2005, 03:22 AM
I was thinking that's what it was. (Broke the leaf springs on our 88 prostar a couple of years ago) Thought I would ask before I said anything. That really sucks. How did you get it home? Getting ours home after the fact was a big pain. The tow company wanted to put it on a flatbed. We said NO! They didn't listen. Ended up smooshing the prop guard on the trailer up by about 4 inches.
Yep, your right. No tools in the tool box are going to fix that.

milkmania
05-23-2005, 03:45 AM
well...lemme tell ya...

it gonna turn into a better deal than I thought.
Broke it Saturday morning after going to the store for fuel.

our lake trip this weekend was going to be from Friday to Sunday with camper and boat
then come home late Sunday evening, until late Thursday evening.
then take both back to lake for Memorial Day weekend.
after talking to many others, there was not going to be available sites by probably Tuesday or Wednesday, so since we had really good friends/ballteam members already up there.....

they're babysitting until we go back on Monday or Tuesday with new springs

and found out that Corps of Engineers offers a discount to persons with disabilities...1/2 price camping:headbang:
just gotta get them the proper paperwork (Monday) and they will hand out the card on site.