PDA

View Full Version : best prop for my 89 prostar

MarcRaiderfan
05-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I recently went to the local prop shop to have my prop repaired and they told me it would take a couple weeks to get it back but that they had a newly refurbed OJ prop that I could get for $250. I bought the prop (13/16P- 4 blade). I got on the lake and when I was comming of the trailer I hit reverse and the boat went forward. Brilliant!! Memorial day weekend and I have the wrong rotation prop. So I used the boat and just drove in reverse, which is forward for the day and when I got home I put my slightly damaged old prop back on. I am hoping this didn't damage my transmission. It seemed to work fine, I just had to pull instead of puch to forward throttle.

So here is my issue. I am not sure if this is the case for all p90's, but mine does not take wakes from on-comming boats very well with the 13p prop. It beats the hell out f anyone in the front seat. So I thought a higer pitch would keep the bow in the water better. I also don't want to lose the power out of the hole. I am also not sure if I should have a 3 or 4 blade.

If anyone has advice on prop selection, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

TMCNo1
05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Go directly to the man that knows, Eric Johnson @ http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us or contact him by pm, EJ OJPROP, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537
Be prepared to give him any info he may need, like boat model and year, engine size, current prop, function (skiing, surfing, boarding, etc.), ballast use, passengers, etc. He need it to determine the best prop for YOUR application.

MarcRaiderfan
05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks TMCN. I will contact Eric.

Abe
05-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I recently went to the local prop shop to have my prop repaired and they told me it would take a couple weeks to get it back but that they had a newly refurbed OJ prop that I could get for $250. I bought the prop (13/16P- 4 blade). I got on the lake and when I was comming of the trailer I hit reverse and the boat went forward. Brilliant!! Memorial day weekend and I have the wrong rotation prop. So I used the boat and just drove in reverse, which is forward for the day and when I got home I put my slightly damaged old prop back on. I am hoping this didn't damage my transmission. It seemed to work fine, I just had to pull instead of puch to forward throttle.

So here is my issue. I am not sure if this is the case for all p90's, but mine does not take wakes from on-comming boats very well with the 13p prop. It beats the hell out f anyone in the front seat. So I thought a higer pitch would keep the bow in the water better. I also don't want to lose the power out of the hole. I am also not sure if I should have a 3 or 4 blade.

If anyone has advice on prop selection, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Unless you have the powerslot you need an OJ 13 X 11.5 xmp 3 blade prop, I had the standard one on my 190 (1990) last season and got a lot of good advice on this site and went with it. :D

jasonba1
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
If your looking for OJ XMP CNC 13 x11.5 send me a pm or email I may be able to save you alot of money. jbaggett@tnrmt.com. I have one that is brand new in the box I think someone may take it wont know til tomorrow but if he doesnt you can have first dibs

MarcRaiderfan
05-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't want to sound ingorant ( you know when someone says that, that there is about to be a stupid question), but what is xmp? What is a power slot? Also, will the OJ 13 x 11.5 help the ride? It seems like currently my boat takes oncomming wakes and rough water right under the front seats? It is hard on the women's "twins", and anyone in the front seats back. I have riden in other pro 190's and they all seem to be a little rough, but I think mine is amore so than most. Maybe it is the year.
Thanks Jason and yes if he doesn't take it I am interested. I'll send you an e-mail.

ProStar190Fan
05-25-2009, 11:24 PM
i would contact eric at OJ props, he will be able to answer all of your questions, his profile address is http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537

Tom

MarcRaiderfan
05-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks Pro Star fan. I sent Eric a message and left one on their website too. I'll wait to hear back. I was hoping someone might have similar experience with a similar year prostar 190.

I have had this boat for a couple of years and am just trying to get out some of the kinks. I upohlstered and powder coated everything on it two years ago, made numerous mechanical repairs, put in sound system and have a tower comming next week. I was going to get a newer Prostar, but have decided I really like this boat. So, am investing some more money to make it just right. The prop is just one of the little things. I live on a fairlly large lake with lots of boat traffic and the wakes can get bad at times so I am hoping I can find a prop that helps the ride and keeps the hole power and top speed. That might be unrealistic. By the way this is the an awesome site and I am excited about stumbling accross it.

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

EJ OJPROP
05-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Marc - I sent you a PM to answer a few of the questions. Make sure any prop you consider to purchase has the standard 1" bore and is not Splined.

juanchosalazar
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
i want to know where is located the scanner plug, i have a motor LTR MX Max 330hp

MarcRaiderfan
05-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I got a hold of Eric today and he is very informative. I ordered a new 4 balde OJ 13x13 and a 13x11.5. I will try them both and use the less favorite as a back-up. I will re-post my findings for future reference. Thanks for all the input.

O2BESOHUGE
06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I Got This One From Eric For My 89 Pro Star And Man My Boat Was Like A Bullet!! Out Of The Hole Was Incredible!! Better All Around

IT WAS THE 13 X 11.5

Jay

spanielman50
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
please don't just consider OJ, i have a 88 prostar190 and my ACME 4 blade was the best prop made that we could find for a powerslot. remarkable change. i would not have restored this 88 if it had'nt been for the make over the ACME did.