PDA

View Full Version : Quick Hull Cleaner that is safe for lake?

Chicago190
05-25-2009, 12:28 PM
My boat is on a lake that has a lot of iron in the water. Consequently, if the boat is in the water for a few days then it starts to develop an orange line on the hull from the water. The boat is on a lift out of the water at night, but during the day it is tied to the dock. I cleaned and waxed the hull 2 weeks ago, and after 3 days in the lake the orange color is returning. I tried wiping it off, but it remained. Does anyone recommend a mild cleaner, preferably something easy to apply, that I can use ever few days and wipe off to restore the white color to the hull? I would then follow up with a spray on wax to protect it.

peason
05-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Slimy Grimy - did the trick for me. Our lake is high in iron, so if I use the boat and don't put it on the lift right away I get an orange color on my hull. I put the boat away dirty this fall and just used slimy grimy this spring and it took the stains right off. I bought the concentrate which is a powder in a small tub and disolved it an put it into a weed sprayer. i simply sprayed on and rinsed thoroughly with water. Do a search on the site and a you can read what others have said about this product. I believe it is oxalic acid based - which is a classified as a mild acid.

Chicago190
05-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I used Marykate's On/Off, which is also a mild acid, and it was great for removing the stains that had built up from the last 2 years. I'm looking for something to use at the end of the day when the boat is on the lift to keep the hull white.

peason
05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't have an answer to that, but am very interested in what others have to say. thanks.

BriEOD
05-25-2009, 03:49 PM
My boat sits in the water for the weekend as I have a slip (lifts aren't permitted). My bottom color is white and I get the same orange tint you are referring to. I use toilet bowl cleaner on a rag--wear gloves as it burns! I simply wipe it on and let it sit a few minutes before spraying it off and using a sponge and soapy water. Subsequently, I hit it with a couple coats of Babes Boat Brite. She looks good as new.

Hope this helps.

KelBCx9
05-25-2009, 05:22 PM
FSR fiberglass stain remover. Made by Davis Instruments. It is a blue gel that you can brush/sponge on let stand and rinse with water. For harsh stains i used a scrub brush. It works on stains that i couldn't get off with any other cleaner.
http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=00792

SkiDog
05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
My boat sits in the water for the weekend as I have a slip (lifts aren't permitted). My bottom color is white and I get the same orange tint you are referring to. I use toilet bowl cleaner on a rag--wear gloves as it burns! I simply wipe it on and let it sit a few minutes before spraying it off and using a sponge and soapy water. Subsequently, I hit it with a couple coats of Babes Boat Brite. She looks good as new.

Hope this helps.

Brian, why don't you use a pump up sprayer? Much easier pal.

BriEOD
05-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Never thought about it Eddie. I will now! Wow, I'm gonna start calling you Harold--wealth of knowledge. :cool:

Thx bud.