PDA

View Full Version : ballast vent not working...

Wake2wake
05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
ok so after getting my boat back from the dealer and them working on some stuff i am having lots of problems. the current issue is that the vent on the ballast bag in the center locker no longer vents, thus this morning we popped the bag because i normally just listen for the water to come out of the vent and then turn it off.
anyone have any ideas why the vent would not work anymore? the dealer replaced the ballast pump, but i cant see why that would affect the vent line.
any help is much appreciated.

snork
05-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Debris clogging your line or maybe mud wasps

nmcjr
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Did you ever figure this out? Mine almost never work, so I have to watch the ballast fill which I hate. It seems like they get water in them, because I can blow through the through hull with my mouth and blow the water out to get all the air out of the bag, but toward the end of the filling cycle they seem to be plugged again, not sure why the pump pressure can't blow the water out--that center ballast is a pain! (02 star)

Wake2wake
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
no i am currently not using the bag, because while i thought i had the vent working again, like you said, i could blow through it like it was clear, but it did not vent and blew out an entire seam. I guess i should have been watching it closer, but it was 9 years old at this point so i guess thats not to bad. i am looking at adding a few bags plumbed in anyway so i guess ill just go ahead and buy a replacement while im at it.

nmcjr
07-10-2009, 12:04 PM
that's too bad--i was hoping you would have figured it out!

I have done a little research on that center bag, because I don't like the fabric bag as it is not rigid enough and slides around inside the locker and get twisted etc. I tend to think the best bet is to have fly high custom make one to the dimensions of the locker, but I have not yet pursued a quote. I don't think you could burst a fly high sac with the pressure of the pump, and maybe it would even blow the water out of the vents. Let me know if you have any luck with one if you happen to go that route.