PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of Power

goramz
05-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I have a 94 205. I can't get over 25 mph or get a larger person out of the water, worse at the end of the day or the longer I drive the boat. Interestingly, if I charge the battery the boat will run OK for an hour or two and then return to the loss of speed and acceleration issue. Sound like an electrical issue, fuel issue?? Any thoughts on what to check first would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot

thwack
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm by no means a mechanic, but I had almost the same issue with my boat last year. The problem ended up being a problem with the electronic ignition. Unfortunately I discovered the problem after replacing the carb, distributor, fuel pump, and a few other random parts.

goramz
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks. I was thinking fuel issue initially but the way it responded after charging the battery was interesting. How did you figure out the electronic ignition was the issue? Did you take it in somewhere.

André
05-24-2009, 09:36 AM
I have a 94 205. I can't get over 25 mph or get a larger person out of the water, worse at the end of the day or the longer I drive the boat. Interestingly, if I charge the battery the boat will run OK for an hour or two and then return to the loss of speed and acceleration issue. Sound like an electrical issue, fuel issue?? Any thoughts on what to check first would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot

Sounds a fuel problem.Have no idea why charging the battery change things...
FWIW.There is a screen in the inlet of the fuel pump under the brass fitting.Mine hets clogged every 2 years end the symptoms are the same,except for the battery thing.
The fuel filter(which could be cogged too) is located after this screen so larger debris accumulate at that screen.

JimN
05-24-2009, 10:34 AM

Without knowing exactly what hte voltage is, it's hard to determine the cause but when the voltage is low at the coil primary, it can't be high enough at the secondary and that reduces the spark intensity. However, as Andre posted, fuel issues are often the problem.

What is the service history for this boat? If it hasn't been maintained well, it will have issues that are harder to find solutions to. If it has been maintained well, they tend to be more simple.

If you're overdue for a tuneup, do it now. Cap, plugs, fuel filter(s), oil and filter, check fuel pressure, etc.

goramz
05-24-2009, 08:50 PM
thanks for the help. the boat has been fairly well maintained but I am sure not perfect. Is the screen easy to get and unclog near the fuel pump you mentioned?--i just changed the filter. I will follow your recommendations and finish some general tune up stuff and see what happens. Thanks a lot

JimN
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Do a search here for other fuel related threads. This has all been covered many times.