PDA

View Full Version : Leak Around Rudder on 79 S&S

thwack
05-22-2009, 12:54 AM
I have an issue with water coming in around the rudder on my 79 S&S. I know the fix is to pack the shaft with grease (at least that stopped the leaking last time). My question is related to installing a grease fitting in the rudder shaft. The only way to grease the rudder in it's current configuration is to pull the shaft out and actually pack it with grease. Has anyone ever installed a grease fitting in the rudder shaft of one of these boats? Is it possible? Any suggestion?

TMCNo1
05-22-2009, 07:04 AM
The easiest way would be to drill a hole in the rudder port and tap, then install a zerk fitting as the rudder ports have been till MC started using the new style port/rudder by OJ Props that has a double lip seal, same seal that is used in the dripless shaft seal system. The port also has a Vesconite sleeve.

JimN
05-22-2009, 08:50 AM
I have an issue with water coming in around the rudder on my 79 S&S. I know the fix is to pack the shaft with grease (at least that stopped the leaking last time). My question is related to installing a grease fitting in the rudder shaft. The only way to grease the rudder in it's current configuration is to pull the shaft out and actually pack it with grease. Has anyone ever installed a grease fitting in the rudder shaft of one of these boats? Is it possible? Any suggestion?

That's not the fix, it's a temporary way to get it to stop leaking. Does it have O rings?

thwack
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I'll pull the rudder out again this afternoon, but I'm fairly certain that there are no o-rings. I have a friend with an 82 S&S and we both have the same issue from time to time. It seems that when the rudder shaft gets low of grease, it starts leaking. However, his boat has a little different rudder configuration which includes a grease fitting. He can simply pump the shaft full of grease and he's good to go, where as I have to pull the shaft and pack it with grease. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a bit aggrevating (it usually stops the leaking for the most part of two summers).

thwack
05-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Fixed the problem...hopefully. I pulled the rudder shaft out and there were no o-rings, so apparently the grease is the seal that prevents the water from coming in. While I had the rudder out, I installed a grease fitting in the brass fitting that the rudder shaft slides up through...at least if it starts leaking again, it will be much easier to grease.