PDA

View Full Version : Difference in 190's

6ballsisall
05-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Can anyone tell me the differences between a 91-94 MC 190 and a 95-97 MC 190? Is the interior space the same? What are the hull differences?

Jorski
05-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Sure thing:

'91-"94 the wake is absolutely amazing! At 28 to 35 off there simply isn't a wake at all. Smaller bump at 22 off than the later model and the wake is slightly softer through all line lengths. The drawback is that spray kicks in at about 35 off, and it appears at longer line lengths if you are skiing into the wind. Also, the first EFI engine appeared in limited numbers in '93 with the LT-1 and then in '94 I believe that you could get either the LT-1 or the TBI engine. The back seat is a large vinyl covered styrofoam affair with a removable seat cushion that leaves a step in place when removed. Taking out the whole seat while not difficult, it is rather awkward - they also hid the battery back here making that hard to get at.

The '95-'97 has a little more beam which makes a bit of difference for interior space. The wake is a little bit harder and the 22-off bump a little larger than the earlier model; but, they got rid of the spray issue and the wake is still excellent. Most models in the '95-'97 era were fuel injected. The back seat in this model had a seat bottom that could be either in a low "seat position" or a raised to a "sundeck position". It is easier to remove than the other style, though from reading many posts on this board it does seem to have a penchant for either breaking and/or flying out of position onto the highway when towing. They moved the battery in this version to under the front observer seat which is easy to get to.

One more comment: the newer model went on to be used (the same hull) for several years on the Sportstar and in the Prostar 195 (an open bow version). As such, you will be able to get parts in general and skins in particular for the newer model easier than on the older ones.

Mastercraft will only make skins for thew 91-94 in plain white.

east tx skier
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
I'd agree with Jorski in almost every respect about the characteristics between these two hulls. However, as for the skins, I'll pass on what I've heard from three different dealers. Of course, they could all be wrong. So investigate this further if need be.

MC is no longer offering replacement skins with accent colors for boats earlier than the 99 model year. In othe words only white for 98 and earlier. That said, I just ordered some replacement skins for a jump seat for my 93 prostar and it had the accent colors. Also got a bow seat back in February or March with accent colors. So in some instances you can get them, but the word is you won't be for long. As for other replacement parts, most are available through skidim whether you have an old ford engine or a newer chevy. I've never had any problems getting parts for my 93 prostar.

Very good description of the hull differences Jorski.

bradamerry
05-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Jeff, I wish you lived closer!!! I would buy your boat and sell mine... You are not asking enough cash for your ride.

VTJC
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Jorski, Did a great recap. To clarify all 94 and newer MCs are EFI, usually the base Chevy 350 TBI or LT-1 for the years you mentioned. Jamie

6ballsisall
05-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Jeff, I wish you lived closer!!! I would buy your boat and sell mine... You are not asking enough cash for your ride.

Where you at? :D

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 10:47 AM
He's looking for Farmer in Shreveport, LA.

John B
05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
One more thing is, that the 95-97 rides much better in chop.

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 11:37 AM

For the right price I deliver! :D