PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat Question

mcskier
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
OK this is probably gonna get some laughs, but I think I need to change the thermostat on my 2008 MCX and I'm not sure as to its location. Can someone post a photo of the thermostat housing? I'm pretty sure I know where it is, but thought I would ask before I start tearing into it.

I'm intermittantly getting engine alarms that coincide with very brief temperature spikes to 200, then back down to 160. Impeller is new and in good shape (at least I know where that is :D).

Thanks!

VOLFAN
05-20-2009, 01:01 AM
probably is your thermostat... I had to change mine a couple weeks ago. Make sure your tanny cooler is clean of any debris and back flush it too.

thermo is where the four water hoses goes into the engine right behind the breather.

don't have a pic sorry.

mcskier
05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Cool. That's what I thought. So I just pop off the air filter and remove the 2 bolts where the 4 hoses come in? ...easy enough! Thanks!

bigmac
05-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Ought to be a warranty issue, if making such a claim is practical for you.

mcskier
05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Ought to be a warranty issue, if making such a claim is practical for you.

Yes, it is under warranty. The dealer gave me the part, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks for an appointment (apparantly they are backlogged). It's plug and play, so not a big deal.

VOLFAN
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
good deal. Hope you get back on the water by this weekend!

Mine would go up to about 165-170 then drop back down to 160 then it would just start to climb. I changed the water pump impeller even though it was new, cleaned the tranny cooler out and it still did the same thing. I took the thermo out and hooked it up to the garden hose in the drive way and it would run at 120 constantly until I revved the engine up. You have to have the thermo to force more water into the engine instead of out the exhaust.

that should be your fix!

jdeml
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
2 bolts? Mine has 3