PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding transmission leak

kpickett
05-22-2005, 01:09 AM
I noticed a little transmission fluid in my blige. I realized that my transmission cooler hoses were leaking. One of them dumped a LOT of fluid in the bilge before I got it changed (just sitting there, not running). So, I changed the hoses and tried to clean up the bilge, ran it, and it seemed fine.

I went out yesterday, and there was fluid in the bilge again. First, I'm not sure if I got all the old fluid out. Does anyone have a trick to cleaning oil out of the bilge?

Second, after talking to Vince at DIM, I put newspapers under the transmission and bell housing, to see if I could see of the front or rear seals were leaking. It doesn't seem like any fluid is coming out. Do any of you know how to tell if the front seal is leaking?

Thanks very much,
Kyle

ski_king
05-22-2005, 07:23 AM
A easy way to clean the bilge is to put about 5 gallons of water in there and some dish soap. Then go sking! Drain and rinse. Has worked for me when I have been clumsey with the oil filter.

André
05-22-2005, 07:28 AM
I'll second that trick to clean the bilge.It really works!

NatesGr8
05-22-2005, 09:54 AM
This doesn't answer your question, but i had a leaky transmission last season and i traced it back to the breather vent towards the back of the transmission that should have been there, but had fallen off.

adirondack
05-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Another easy place you might want to look for a small leak is behind the shift linkage where the shift rod comes out of the transmisson. On BW transmissions this is on the left side as you are facing the front of the boat. There is an O ring in there that wears over time and it will drip a little bit of fluid only when the boat is running. It is an easy fix takes about 20 minutes and only costs about $1.00 for the O ring. The only thing that you have to be careful about is making sure you catch the ball bearing that is behind the shift lever it is spring loaded and pops out when you take off the shift lever. I repalced mine last year Ski Dim has the O ring.

kpickett
05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
This doesn't answer your question, but i had a leaky transmission last season and i traced it back to the breather vent towards the back of the transmission that should have been there, but had fallen off.

Is the breather vent the little upright tube that looks like a tire inflation valve (in size and shape)?

dchatagnon
05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi,

I'm having the same issue than adirondack with a small leak behind the shift linkage...
my rpoblem is that I can't find the part# of that famous o'ring. I should probably call skidim...

dchatagnon
05-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I did not manage to pull the part for changing the o'ring on the shift linkage.
I have removed everything but now i'm stock with that and i don't know how to access that o'ring? Is there something else to remove? a screw or something else?
thanks for your answer.
best regards
Damien

adirondack
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM
In order to get to the O ring you need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the neutral safety switch cover on the opposite side of the transmisson from where the shift linkage is. Behind the cover there is a circular plate with a dimple in it that indexes the neutral safety switch. You should be able to either pop it out or it might even fall out. Don't worry about messing it up, unless you put it in upside down when you have to put it back in, there are 2 dogs on the back of the plate that fit into the transmisson control valve. Once you have the indexing plate off, you can slide the control valve out to the right. You might have to tap it lightly to get it started. You don't need to worry about any parts flying off when you remove the control valve everything is self contaned. The O ring is in a groove on the shift linkage side of the control valve. The part number for the O ring that Vince gave me is RO47010 and it cost $0.94. While you have the neutral safety switch cover off you can replace the gasket for the cover . That part is number 1473 and it cost $0.45. When I did this job last year, I disconnected the wires on the neutral safety switch to get it out of the way to make things easier.

NatesGr8
05-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Is the breather vent the little upright tube that looks like a tire inflation valve (in size and shape)?

Yes thats the vent, if you push it, it should spring up and down.

kpickett
05-24-2005, 12:44 AM
A easy way to clean the bilge is to put about 5 gallons of water in there and some dish soap. Then go sking! Drain and rinse. Has worked for me when I have been clumsey with the oil filter.

Thanks very much for the tip. I did it today. I filled up with soapy water and then drove up and down curvy hills for 15 minutes. I wanted it clean before I went out to ski.

I didn't have any more fluid today, and I checked the transmission dipstick probably 7 times. It was exactly the same at the end of the day as at the beginning. I'm 98% sure that the hoses fixed the problem. Great skiing today, too!

dchatagnon
05-24-2005, 03:27 AM
got you now. Thanks adirondack!

dchatagnon
10-23-2005, 05:30 PM
I want to reseal my transmission. Do you know how to disassemble the pump element? I have removed the 4 bolts... and after?
(see attachment)
thanks for your help.