PDA

View Full Version : Alternator bolt help?

kpickett
05-22-2005, 01:02 AM
So, I was out today, and my alternator started squealing. I had tightened it once before, so when I brought the boat in, I went to tighten it. The bolt holding the adjustment arm spun freely, which I thought was weird. When I loosened the alternator bolt, the adjustment arm just came right off. It sheared right off at the block.

So...not a big deal to replace the bolt, but how do I get the piece out of the block? Is this something I can do, or do I need to take it in. Anyone else have to extract a bolt fragment from the block?

Thanks,
Kyle

André
05-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Is there no stud at all sticking out,i would punch it right in the middle and then use very small drill bits drill a small pilot hole and then going bigger in size until you can without drilling out the threads.Use an Easy Out tool to get the remaining of the bolt out.The pilot hole MUST be centet in the bolt stud.
Good luck!
Those alternetors bolts are breaking often on newer boats.I know Leroy and a couples of other guys had the same problems.
Leroy did take the bolt out himself...and he's an engineer!!!

pflcjl
05-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Mastercraft provided me with a supplemental bracket as a recall item which reinforced the alternator to the engine block to help reduce vibration (I believe?). The bolt on my alternator also sheared off and I had to replace.

I have a 2000 PS190

NatesGr8
05-22-2005, 09:43 AM
I agree with the easy out method, just make sure you use the biggest size easy out that you possibly can, you don't wanna break one of those things off in there. Don't ask me how i know :uglyhamme

JimN
05-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Before backing the bolt out, spray a little PB Blaster on it. It really should come right out unless it rusted. They don't bottom out in the hole. The problem is pretty rare now, but in 2000 they did have a recal on it because someone spec'd a bolt that was the wrong hardness and the bracket was a bit thin.

Leroy
05-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I had that happen on my 2001 230VRS. Since it took so long to get the part I did it myself. All 3 bolts broke on mine. Bought bolt extractor for that size bolt, center punch, and drill for bolt extractor (note get 2 or 3 drills as they are not as hard as the bolt). Put liquid wrench on bolt. Then it's pretty simple, punch in center of bolt, drill to depth specified, and then run the bolt extractor in. When you get the pieces out measure the bolt and pick up more bolts at the HW store. If the other bolts did not break, I would replace them also. On mine 2 bolts were same length and 1 was different.

Oh and by the way there is a recall and I had my bracket changed this spring.

lakes Rick
05-22-2005, 11:46 AM
If you have a reversible drill, the secret here is to get some reverse drill bits...They drill in the counterclockwise direction.. MOST of the time the remains of the bolt will come out just by drilling... If you start with a very small pilot hole, then move up to the biggest bit you can.. I have found the bigger bits will grab and remove the bolt, while the smaller bits will tend to drill a hole...
You can get a set of bits at Harbor Freight pretty cheap if you want to support the chinese.....

bret
05-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I was going to say get some left handed drill bits. A bit costly at first but wow, do they work. My 94 did the same thing twice. The hole in my bracket was drilled larger than the bolt; got a grade 8 bolt and I made a spacer out of some hard rubber tubing -that was 6 years ago.

kpickett
05-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks, guys, for the help. I'll pick up the extractor and drill bits today.

It's always good to hear from others who have done the same repair.

Kyle

kpickett
05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree with the easy out method, just make sure you use the biggest size easy out that you possibly can, you don't wanna break one of those things off in there. Don't ask me how i know :uglyhamme

I found this out the hard way this morning.

However, I was able to drill another hole and use a different extractor to get it out. Fortunately, it wasn't in there very tight. I had a scary moment when it started screwing in while I was drilling, but everything's good now.

Thanks again all.

Kyle

André
05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Good work Kyle!
Did you check for the recall thing with your dealer ?