PDA

View Full Version : second battery advise

rem_pss308
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I am thinking of adding a second battery to my 93 prostar 205. The Original battery is next to the gas tank. My concerns are this. I have a ballast compartment in the rear. It makes it almost impossible to get to the battery if the ballast is filled. I have room to put the second battery next to the orginal. Or would I benifit by installing the second battery behind the judges seat.
If I use the perko switch, Would I need to mount the perko switch where I have acces to it at all times?

_JR
05-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I installed a Perko switch under the engine cover and added my second battery under the observer's seat.

rem_pss308
05-23-2005, 08:21 AM
I installed a Perko switch under the engine cover and added my second battery under the observer's seat.

Did you cut the floor for the second battery?

If so is it the aluminum stuff that is the floor around the pylon?

zberger
05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Did you cut the floor for the second battery?

If so is it the aluminum stuff that is the floor around the pylon?

I can't say that I would recommend cutting the floor in a boat.

_JR
05-26-2005, 11:48 AM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? :confused:

The "hole" shown was already in the boat, was designed as a storage area (and is where the battery used to be installed before MC moved it to the rear of the boat - check you Owner's Manual!)

jr

zberger
05-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I would fore go a switch, and just install an isolator..

It's basically an automatic switch.

Just make sure you get one thats larger than your alternator. can put out amp wise.

Diesel
05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
An isolator is not the best option. You get significant voltage drop due to resistance which in turn creates heat. A high current relay can be wired to operate automatically and has negligible voltage drop. A relay is the easiest and most efficient solution.

For more information on the relay search...........it has been discussed in detail.

zberger
05-26-2005, 01:38 PM
An isolator is not the best option. You get significant voltage drop due to resistance which in turn creates heat. A high current relay can be wired to operate automatically and has negligible voltage drop. A relay is the easiest and most efficient solution.

For more information on the relay search...........it has been discussed in detail.

whatever "floats your boat" :D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I can't say that I would recommend cutting the floor in a boat.
what this guy said!!! :eek:

rem_pss308
05-26-2005, 10:45 PM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? :confused:

The "hole" shown was already in the boat, was designed as a storage area (and is where the battery used to be installed before MC moved it to the rear of the boat - check you Owner's Manual!)

jr

Mine is a 93 . It doesnt have a storage area there.
I would rather have the battery for the amps there because it would be a shorter distance from the battery.

I have changed plans , and am going to use a Scorpion Isolator. it has low voltage drop, and should handle a alternator upgrade.
I appretiate the info you guys have given me, and also posted in other posts.
Again The forum has helped me with a problem, I had no clue about. I will post the outcome of this project.

Jr: what year is yours?
East texas Skier do you have a storage area behind the judges seat?