PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove 197 bow seat backs

yankee
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
How do the bow seat backs come out of a 2005 197?

Andyg
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
You don't. I am sure they are probably installed prior to the deck and hull of the boat being put together. With that said you might be able to reach the bolts holding them on from the storage under the observers seat and behind the kick panel under the driver's dash. If you can't reach the front most bolts and you have speakers in the bow you can remove the speakers and reach your hand through the speaker hole to get the remaining bolts.

Andyg

vogelm1
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
X2

I'm pretty sure you can get to some of the bolt studs from behind the observers seat (at least I can see some studs in mine and I'm almost 100% sure they bolt through to the seat back). And by removing the "foot rest" panel on the driver's side, you should be able to get at that side. There will probably be some bolts that you can't get at unless you take out the bow speakers and reach back there. I haven't ever taken mine off (but have had the side combing panels off before) so can't speak from experience in the bow but it looks like it can be done.

They have to come out somehow...how would a person get them out otherwise to re-skin, etc? Wear long sleeves/gloves if you go reaching up under the gunnels or the fiberglass will get ya.

JohnE
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I can't imagine that they are that hard to take out. A little searching for the nuts. (no comments, please)

yankee
05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks. A search for my nuts tonight found three on the stern end of the seat back and one screw through a plate on the front side. I need to remove them to put speakers in so there's no holes to reach through.

Hopefully those four will be it. I was hoping someone else had treaded this grounded before me :)

JohnE
05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks. A search for my nuts tonight found three on the stern end of the seat back and one screw through a plate on the front side. I need to remove them to put speakers in so there's no holes to reach through.

Hopefully those four will be it. I was hoping someone else had treaded this grounded before me :)

Well, post some pics when you're done to help out the next poor schlep.;)

shepherd
05-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't want to see pics of his nuts. :noface:

yankee
05-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Don't worry, although they are very clean, they are hard to see in their current location8p

yankee
05-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Came right out, wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and no splinters!!! Didn't get started until 10 PM due to ball games, but will post pictures later this week.

There are three stud/nuts from the seat back through the glass towards the stern. One bolt/stud through the side wall within reasonable reach of a standard 1/4" ratchet from below the dash and underseat storage. Remove the screw from the bottom from the vinyl side and lift up.