PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Depth sounders

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Hello,

I am considering installing a depth sounder in my newly aquired 91 prostar. I dont want to drill any holes in it, I have heard you can get depth sounders that have the transducer mounted in the boat and the signal transmits thru the hull. Is that true? if so, do they work very good? are they accurate? and what brands/models do you recommend? and where is a good place to buy them? the only place I have really bought things from is Overtons', but I am open to any suggestions. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Please advise. Thank you!!!!! :)

Don

bradamerry
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Hello,

I am considering installing a depth sounder in my newly aquired 91 prostar. I dont want to drill any holes in it, I have heard you can get depth sounders that have the transducer mounted in the boat and the signal transmits thru the hull. Is that true? if so, do they work very good? are they accurate? and what brands/models do you recommend? and where is a good place to buy them? the only place I have really bought things from is Overtons', but I am open to any suggestions. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Please advise. Thank you!!!!! :)

Don

They will read thru a fiberglass hull..

BriEOD
05-21-2005, 08:37 PM
I have a Uniden thru hull in my boat and it works great. The hardest part of the install is finding a spot for the transducer (takes a few tries). Mine is very accurate and works at all speeds. It was a good investment for $99.

05-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey, what about those Hand held Depth sounders?? anyone ever try those?? I liked the idea of that, no installation hassles. they cost about $100. that might be an option too? .....anyone....?

Cary K.
05-21-2005, 09:07 PM
This should give you a good start and answer most questions. Great piece of equipment to have.

Depth Finders Post (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1978)

davidstan
05-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I had the dealer put in a Lowrance where the clock was and it is very accurate imo.

ski_king
05-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey, what about those Hand held Depth sounders?? anyone ever try those?? I liked the idea of that, no installation hassles. they cost about $100. that might be an option too? .....anyone....?
Might be nice for spot checking depths, but it is sure nice to have a constant read out of depth.

MarkP
05-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Hello,

Don
I found this helpful
http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/SubmittedFiles/poweboatReports/PW_reports_just_the_numbers.pdf

05-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Might be nice for spot checking depths, but it is sure nice to have a constant read out of depth.

I see your point, but keep in mind I ski on Lake superior and I am usually skiing in waters that are 20 to 100 ft deep. I dont often need a depth meter. I am very familiar with the waters I travel, but I would like to know depths at certain points, especially when coming into a beach so I dont ground out the prop. That way I can anchor the boat off shore in about 3 to 4 ft of water so we can lounge, change skiers with people on shore, party, scope out the chicks, etc...

I have never owned a boat with a thru hull prop so the only thing I can think of is to anchor the boat off shore in deep enough water so the prop dont hit bottom..... any other ideas?? In the old days I would just raise the lower unit on my old junker boat and push in on shore, but thats not possible with the MC. so I plan on doing the anchor plan in about 3 to 4 ft of water unless anybody got any better suggestions?? your input is very welcome!!! :)

Leroy
05-21-2005, 11:18 PM
The sender works through the hull. THere is a way to test mount on the floor using some liquid (want to say mineral oil in a bag, but would have to search again). I think if you get it where there is a air under the hull at the transducer puck it will not read. Mine reads at all speeds 0-600 feet. Plus you can set min or max depth alarms. I ofter set min alarm for 10-15' and then you get a warning if it goes less than that.