PDA

View Full Version : carpet cleaning...shampoo

jixxxer
05-18-2009, 06:49 AM
What do u guys use exactly to clean the carpets. I have some mildew stains and would like to give a real good cleaning/shampooing.

bigmac
05-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Many of us use a pressure washer, but others here have reported satisfaction with one of those small portable carpet cleaners like the one from Bissell or Hoover.

AFX-30
05-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I use resolve with the scrub brush on the bad spots and then pressure wash the carpet. I stay away from under the dash and any electrical parts though and do that by hand with soap and water and then rinse it with the garden hose set at a low pressure.

JohnE
05-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Rug doctor for me. I usually don't use soap. If you do use soap, use it sparingly. Too much soap will stay in the carpet and dirt then sticks to it.

2RLAKE
05-18-2009, 08:06 AM
we keep a Bissel portable cleaner at the lake ... so like this weekend, when my son and his friend got mud in the boat, and house, they were able to clean it quickly. I'm never had a stain afterwards ... it cleans great

sand2snow22
05-18-2009, 10:24 AM
I use resolve with the scrub brush on the bad spots and then pressure wash the carpet. I stay away from under the dash and any electrical parts though and do that by hand with soap and water and then rinse it with the garden hose set at a low pressure.

X 2. Light resolve with the pressure washer!

east tx skier
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Regular Tide (no bleach) and warm water. Use a brush to work it in. Rinse with high pressure water and vacuum up with a shop vac. Spray a high concentration of Downy and water all over the carpet. Let it sit about 15 minutes. Rinse again and vacuum up the excess. Leave to dry uncovered preferably in the sun. Fans help.

ntidsl
05-18-2009, 11:34 AM
best way to go i promise!!!

russlars
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
best way to go i promise!!!
Second the recommendation on the Little Green. Bought and used this to clean my carpets based on the recommendation by ntidsl on another thread. Very easy to use and does a great job. Great deal for around $80. Make sure you get the precleaner for stubborn spots and stains also. With a little scrubbing it took out some spots that had been there for a couple years now.

sand2snow22
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Second the recommendation on the Little Green. Bought and used this to clean my carpets based on the recommendation by ntidsl on another thread. Very easy to use and does a great job. Great deal for around $80. Make sure you get the precleaner for stubborn spots and stains also. With a little scrubbing it took out some spots that had been there for a couple years now.

How do they work, where to buy?

russlars
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
How do they work, where to buy?
Bought mine at Wally World. I think ntidsl got his at Home Depot. The working end is handheld so you can work it into all of the corners and tight spaces. Has a brush on the end if you need to do some scrubbing on spots. Same basic principle as other carpet cleaners only much easier to work with in tight spaces.

ntidsl
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I didnt even bother to vacuum first...its sucks up grass and old "helicopters" from maple trees out of the corners...and they were wet and nasty...its basiclaly a vacuum that sprays hot water onto the surface witha clittle cleaning detergent and then sucks it up. I presoaked my carpet with a hose first and used the sucking function mostly. I was amzed at how powerful yet compact it was and how dry it got the carpet! Fluffy, clean and dry...I wouldn't even hesitate right before taking a crew out for some crusing.

brucemac
05-18-2009, 03:34 PM
hey this thread is timely for me, my kid dumped a coke in the bow last weekend.

two questions though, did you guys get the little green with the "pro heat" or just the one you use hot tap water?

lastly, which cleaner product for it?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_k?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=bissell+little+green

russlars
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
hey this thread is timely for me, my kid dumped a coke in the bow last weekend.

two questions though, did you guys get the little green with the "pro heat" or just the one you use hot tap water?

lastly, which cleaner product for it?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_k?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=bissell+little+green
I bought the basic "Little Green" that uses hot tap water and the Little Green Cleaner. The pre cleaner for stubborn stains was also a Bissel product that I picked up with the cleaner at Wally World. Good luck with it. I think you will be pleased with the results. I have also done the pressure washer routine, but even after vacuuming with a shop vac the carpet stayed wet for a long time. This system sucks most of the moisture out of the carpet and I ran a fan on it for a day afterwards and it dried it the rest of the way.

brucemac
05-18-2009, 04:12 PM
okay, thanks russlars. going to order one up. the pressure washer works great, but it's a frickin mess and my carpets could use a good cleaning.

brucemac
05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
just got back from target and picked up the one with the heater and the turbo brush. :D

i paid a few bucks more, but i have some time this evening and want to give it a whirl.

also bought a bottle of the little green forumula. i didn't see any "pre-cleaner" although on the back of the little green bottle it says for "high traffice areas, pre-treat with bissell blah blah blah". they didn't have any. hopefully it will work without it. it's not that bad, just needs a good wet clean.

thanks for the tips

east tx skier
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
By the way, my wife just picked up some of that Resolve powder (fat bottle) that you sprinkle on the carpet, let sit for 20 minutes, then vacuum up. She used it in some high traffic areas of our house that had gotten pretty nasty. That stuff is MAGIC! I don't have stains that would cause me to want to dump it in the boat yet, but it's every bit as good as the professional cleaning we had the last times things were looking dingy.

russlars
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
just got back from target and picked up the one with the heater and the turbo brush. :D

i paid a few bucks more, but i have some time this evening and want to give it a whirl.

also bought a bottle of the little green forumula. i didn't see any "pre-cleaner" although on the back of the little green bottle it says for "high traffice areas, pre-treat with bissell blah blah blah". they didn't have any. hopefully it will work without it. it's not that bad, just needs a good wet clean.

thanks for the tips
Let us know how it works out for you Bruce.

brucemac
05-19-2009, 12:33 PM
it works like a champ! thanks for the tip!

if i had to do it again though, i probably would have just bought the basic one online like you guys have. i was impatient though and wanted to get it done before this weekend. the one i have has the heater and the turbo brush. the turbo brush at first glance appears to be useless. :) it's kind of like snail turbo. i did my entire boat this morning before work. the carpets weren't that bad at first glance, but it was amazing how dirty the water was on the output side. it got the coke stain out of the bow carpet with ease and cleaned up the rest very well. all and all a nice handy tool that i'm sure we'll get a lot of use out of. thanks again.

ntidsl
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
great....another satisfied customer...i'm happy with my std bissle green clean and will continue to clean my carpets now every few weeks.