PDA

View Full Version : Cracks on side of ski pylon mounting bracket

kmaclean
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
We have cracks on the side of the stringer where the pylon bracket connects to the stringer...anyone ever see anything like this?

Know how to make it strong again?

We were using a huge oversized pole in place of the original ski pole, for a wakeboarding sky pole........I'm sure this overtorqued the attachment point......

any help would be great,

thanks,

KM

JohnnyB
05-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Pictures would be helpful here.

Did you reinforce your 'sky pole' with some type of attachment to the front of the boat like the straps they put on skylons?

Can we see pics of the cracks?

Someone on the site did some reinforcing that I considered doing on my 1990 that I ran a skylon on for barefooting. I saved the pics....attached...you may be able to search the archives and find this...

The bracket is reinforced at the motor mounts....actually a pretty cool design and speaks to the structure of these boats...

chico
05-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Thats my 94 prostar,I did that 5 years ago and hav`nt had a bolt come loose since.

JohnnyB
05-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Chico......it was a great idea/design!!!!! Those pics have been on my hard drive since 2005 if the dates are correct...

farmboy0318
05-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Can I ask if you still have the original ski pole and is it possibly for sale?

TMCNo1
05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
We have cracks on the side of the stringer where the pylon bracket connects to the stringer...anyone ever see anything like this?

Know how to make it strong again?

We were using a huge oversized pole in place of the original ski pole, for a wakeboarding sky pole........I'm sure this overtorqued the attachment point......

any help would be great,

thanks,

KM

FYI, unfortunately for you, some damage has been done. But several years ago as wakeboarding became popular and extended pylons/pylon extensions were being added to these type boats, and damage to boats started appearing, it became apparent something had to be done to help prevent damage and warn the owners. MasterCraft (and probably other manufacturers) started applying warning decals to the pylons on new boats and letters/decals were sent to the current known owners of their boats for installation on the pylons. Many second hand boat owners and others may have missed this warning. This is one reason towers were designed to be purchased/installed on boats for this purpose. A simular warning/decal was also sent out for carbon monoxide poisioning from platform barefooting and surfing too close to the boat.