PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Please!

Stritt
05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
I just noticed today while putting some towerspeakers on the tower, that I have floor problems. At first I thought it was soft, I fiqured it was my imagination. After sweeping I noticed it wasn't my imagination. The boat is a 2003 197, I am the first owner and have warranty work done to this boat and its been back to factory. It's fair to say that I'm a little anal about this boat due to its limited edition. Needless, to say the boat is out of the warranty. Anyone else have this problem? The floor is crowning in the middle and is soft (spring) on the crown. Please advise, I am concerned the MC will think that I am complaining again. My other boats never felt like this . I am freaking out!

Stritt
05-21-2005, 04:45 PM
another one

Stritt
05-21-2005, 04:46 PM
and another

Stritt
05-21-2005, 04:47 PM
And final one

Stritt
05-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I lied, notice that the level was not level, here are 2 more.

Stritt
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Last one...............................the floor by the motor is low by about 3/4" and by the side is low about 1/2", of course it peaks in the middle. Kind of feels like a big bubble.

sfitzgerald351
05-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Wonder if this is maybe the same issue that came up with the S&S someone was restoring... Can't remember the thread name, but do a search for 'floor' and you should find the thread. Not sure if they do it the same way now, but in the older boats the factory puts holes into the floor to inject the foam. Then they cover it with a very thin piece of fiberglass which can bow upwards, especially if the foam expands a bit. But in your case the crown looks more uniform down the length of the boat, whereas with our older boats you have 2 humps on each side where the holes were. Maybe some other folks with a similar boat on here can check their floor for you.

Mag_Red
05-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Sloped for drainage????????? :popcorn:

Stritt
05-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I would buy that, except for the fact the when I step on the crown the floor deflects. :confused:

André
05-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Must be my bad english,but i'm (easily) confuse about the first post.
Is the boat on warranty or not ?
Sorry...

Stritt
05-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Warranty ended September 2004 (1 year). :eek:

ski_king
05-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Looks like the floor may have delaminated from the stringers.
Is it the same on both sides?

It probobly can be fixed with screws and glue, but looks like a lot of work.

Stritt
05-21-2005, 09:29 PM
That is my fear.....yes the opposite side has has some uneveness but not like this......I am hoping this goes to the structual warranty. Anybody have any idea? Guess I need to read my owners manual.

Stritt
05-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Sigh of relief, just read the warranty and the deck, hull, LINER and Stringers are a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.....That's me!
Guess when I get back next week from business trip, the boat will go back to the dealer...........................again.

stevo137
05-21-2005, 09:56 PM
35th,
I'll bet MC will take care of it for you. It's probably a raw material issue.
I would not accept excuses on this one.
I am on my second older MC, 88 and 93. I have never seen a floor bow like that.

Leroy
05-21-2005, 10:31 PM
You are right about the process. There is the hull, piece of glass with holes cut in it and then a frame holds how the glass while the inside is pumped full of foam. From video on the factory tour.

Leroy
05-21-2005, 10:32 PM
After the frame is removed. It's hard to imagine this being soft unless the carpet is lifting but that should be obvious.

Stritt
05-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Ok. I just checked it out again. Soft from about 1 foot behind the drivers seat until the begining edge of the rear seat. When I walk around you can see the floor deflect. If you stomp (softly) the noise is almost hollow sounding, anywhere else its a thud sound.

Obviously, I don't want the screw and glue solution for repair. Thats nice for a old Supra with a wooden floor, but not for a 50K(+) boat. MasterCraft has stepped up to the plate in the past and took care of many issues last fall. I was hoping not to have to talk to Tim Best again......but I don't have a choice.

Next question to find out is how or if there is a repair and how long I will be w/o a boat this time. Last time it was about a month at the factory. I assume that any repair would be done is Vonore.

Jorski
05-22-2005, 12:51 PM
There is no way that a boat that is that new should have a delaminating floor. MC should fix this problem without question.

I agree that they must have received a bad batch of epoxy or something, my 1993's floor is a solid as a rock. So you should have no problems whatsoever.

Leroy
05-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Could have been an air bubble and the foam did not fill in completely in that area.

PE4ME
05-22-2005, 08:15 PM
My 94 205 was delaminating- noticed it when I redid the carpet. There is a lip that gets glassed into the hull. The floor was solid and would have never noticed...it was flat but it was clearly coming apart from the hull. I cant imagine that happenning already on that new of a boat... good luck