PDA

View Full Version : just tryed to crank boat 1st time this year

illholla
05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
and nothing good battery pulled it and tested soo im guessing its my starter froze up? it was in my dry garage all winter i do hear a small click comingfrom the back of the motor where all the wires are

thanks for any info

TOO-TALL
05-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Do all the gauges work?

You could try taping on the starter with a rubber mallet while somebody turns the key.This might free the starter.

JimN
05-11-2009, 08:17 AM
New starters have ceramic permanent magnets and they're very brittle, so hitting it with a hammer isn't recommended. It was OK on older starters.

The Bendix is rusted and it's supposed to be lubed every year. You could replace that by itself but cranking it without rotating is hard on it, so for the relatively small difference in price, I would get a rebuilt starter instead.

stuartmcnair
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I had same problem. Order a new starter...

illholla
05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
got it fixed i took the starter off took it apart and four magnet i guess thats them the things that the springs push over were jamed up so i cleaned them out got the springs where they would push them freely put it back together and works like brand new looks like i had moisture in there some how anyways thanks for the replies guys!!!:)

TOO-TALL
05-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Good job on tackling it yourself.

The springs press the brushes agaist the comutator.
If you got moisture in there and the springs got rusted that would make sense.

illholla
05-12-2009, 01:39 AM
now i just got to change my steering cable out its getting a little tight so ima chang it anyways whats the best way of me ordering one? overtons is around the corner how i go about findin the part# i need?? any helps great im really in the dark on this

oyea my boat is a 2000 205 :o

peason
05-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I got my new cable from my dealer - price was good. If you don't have a dealer close, you can try www.skidim.com they will know exactly which cable you need. I haven't had my boat on the water since I put the cable on - but from what I can tell on land- it's going to make a huge difference. It took about an hour to 1 1/2 to change out - not as difficult as I thought it was going to be on my 2002 - 209. Good luck.

illholla
05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
thanks im goin to be orderin steering cable tomorrow

i changed my impeller today that was cake work :D