PDA

View Full Version : Please help...I really need some advise...

juju151
05-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, I found out where my water was coming in to the boat. The muffler was cracked...at least I think it's a muffler. It's just a black fiberglass tube connecting to the riser tube on the engine side, and on the other side it's connected to another rubber tube going out the back of the boat. There is nothing in it, just a straight through fiberglass tube. It was cracked right where it connects with the big hose clamps on the rear tube going out the back of the boat. When I tried to tighten the clamps I could hear the fiberglass cracking. So I took it off and looked at it...I had to get a short 4" long 3"OD metal exhaust pipe that would tightly slide up into the "muffler", so that when I tighten the clamps it will give it support...then I used fiberglass to repair the little hole/crack that was in it. It looks great and all, and I'm sure that it would work fine, but my concern is the fiberglass. Do you think that will stand up to the heat from the exhaust? It's only a very skinny strip on the outside of the muffler, but I don't want the thing catching on fire or anything. I have some friends coming over tomorrow and Sunday to ski, so I don't have time to get one ordered for this weekend. I will get a new one on there by next weekend if I can find one. It's on a 98 ProStar 190 with a 350TBI. Anyone know how the fiberglass will take the heat??? Please give me your input. I've worked with fiberglass alot, but never on the exhaust like this...

ski_king
05-20-2005, 11:13 PM
I have repaired them before with fiberglass and they have held up for years. With the water flowing thru with the exaust, it won't melt the fiberglass.
Did you take the metal pipe back out? I dont think I would want to leave that thing inthere to rust and cause problems.
Somebody had a set of mufflers for sale on ebay not to loog ago. You can also get new mufflers from your dealer or skidim.com.

juju151
05-20-2005, 11:20 PM
No, I left the metal pipe in there. I was a pain to get it in because the end of the muffler had split, and then some freaking moron put some goopy stuff, like grey permatex over the hole/crack and then tightened the clamps down so tight that it was crushing the end of the muffler where it had cracked. I backed the boat down in the water and it was streaming in pretty good. So I had to pry the end of the muffler open like it was originally and pushed the pipe down in there so it was flush. Then I wrapped a 2" wide strip of fiberglass around the muffler to cover the crack/small hole. Now when I put the hose and clamps on it, it will tighten up real good. I was just concerned about the fiberglass catching fire or something. The metal is only temporary, because this muffler will be coming out as soon as I can get another shipped, but I need to use it tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully it will work, I'll get some pics and ya'll can tell me what you think...I'd like to know before I put it in the water tomorrow morning. Thanks...

juju151
05-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Do you think it'll work alright?

http://img271.echo.cx/img271/5274/muffler17mo.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

http://img271.echo.cx/img271/6757/muffler24gv.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

NatesGr8
05-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Looks like a pretty good repair to me. I would think that should last you for a few seasons.

:twocents:

MarkP
05-21-2005, 08:26 AM
HeLL

You may even be able to sell that design. Like Powerslot said, I too think with the water running over it you should be ok.

juju151
05-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone...I'm going to put it in there and try it out. I'll let you know how it goes...

east tx skier
05-21-2005, 12:35 PM
We did a fiberglass patch on a muffler leak on my father-in-law's boat. It has held for several years.

bret
05-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Very nice job. Had you spray painted it black it would have looked factory!

Ric
05-21-2005, 02:13 PM
If it doesnt leak now, then you are good to go for the weekend for sure
[edit]just looked at his post times, hell he's already figured it out and skiing it up

erkoehler
05-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Hope all went well with the repair and it doesn't spoil the weekend for you.

juju151
05-21-2005, 03:35 PM
It looks like it's working pretty good...VERY little water in the bilge now and it doesn't look to be rising either. One thing that I've noticed since I did this, that I didn't notice or pay attention to before is that when I turn the engine off, about 10 seconds later air starts bubbling from the exhaust in the rear. Didn't notice it doing that before, but I guess that the air is coming out the back instead of getting pushed out of the leaking spot where it had been cracked before. It scared the Sh!+ out of me at first because after checking for leaks, I backed it off the trailer and pulled it over to the slip, shut it off and got out of the boat and all of a sudden...BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BUBBLE...I thought, "OH NO!!! The rear hose has come off and it's taking on water fast!" But it stopped, and no water was in the bilge...so I guess it's just water running into the mufflers once the exhause stops coming out. I ran it around the lake for a little while and all looks good. Now if my friends will ever show up, maybe we can get some time IN the water...We can't ride here without a spotter, and it's just me and my wife, so just waiting for them now.

Thanks for the advise guys... :wavey:

JuJu