PDA

View Full Version : Motor runs like crap

manny34711
05-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I took the boat out for the first time this year and I noticed that the motor has lost a lot of its power... I also noticed that when I hit the throttle to pull someone up on a wakeboard/wakeskate the motor hesitates badly (RPM's drop, almost stalls) for a second or so before it jumps back up and takes off. I'm thinking sparkplugs... any ideas?

Craig
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
How old is your gas? Did you have stabilizer in it?

Also could be plugs, or rust that developed over the winter on your plug wires.

manny34711
05-09-2009, 04:27 PM
The gas is new.... no stabilizer... I'm thinking plugs too...

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
If you have a carburetor, it sounds more like that is your problem. It has likely developed some gum over the winter and might be time for a rebuild or at least a good cleaning. You could start with running some Sea Foam or some similar additive through it with your gas....that may be enough.

JimN
05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I took the boat out for the first time this year and I noticed that the motor has lost a lot of its power... I also noticed that when I hit the throttle to pull someone up on a wakeboard/wakeskate the motor hesitates badly (RPM's drop, almost stalls) for a second or so before it jumps back up and takes off. I'm thinking sparkplugs... any ideas?

Take a fuel sample and check the pressure.

yankee
05-09-2009, 05:32 PM
What year, engine? Carb or injected, distributor or electronic ignition?

It would be odd for plugs to suddenly go bad over the winter unless they were fogged excessively and fouled in lay up. Even then, it should burn off.

If its a few years older could be a couple things.
- If it was put away last fall without stabil in the gas AND run long enough to get it through the entire fuel system the carb may need cleaned/rebuilt - Try the seafoam first. This would be my first thought
- Points, condensor, rotor, cap typically need to be replaced every couple of years
- If was put away with the tank less than full you can get quite a bit of condensation in the fuel (not likely to be the cause based on your description)

manny34711
05-10-2009, 01:39 PM
It's a 2000 X-star with the LTR-330, so I believe it's fuel injected w/ electric ignition. I let it sit for about 3 months over the winter (central florida) with less than half a tank also no stabil.

JimN
05-10-2009, 01:46 PM
It's a 2000 X-star with the LTR-330, so I believe it's fuel injected w/ electric ignition. I let it sit for about 3 months over the winter (central florida) with less than half a tank also no stabil.

Read my last post and do that first. Let the gas sit after it goes into the container and look for either cloudy gas or beads of water that settle to the bottom. If you see either, siphon or pump the gas out until you see that it's clean. Adding alcohol will allow some of the water to mix with the alcohol but it still won't mix completely with the gas and it affects the quality of the fuel, so it's not a good idea to run the motor hard when you have bad gas in it. If this means draining the tank, so be it but that's far better than killing your motor.

You have a Shrader valve on your fuel line, covered by a black plastic cap. That's where you need to measure the pressure and if the gauge has a siphon line for purging air from the gauge, use that to collect a fuel sample in a clean, clear bottle. I use plastic Diet Pepsi bottles and then put the cap back on.

Craig
05-10-2009, 10:53 PM

A friend of mine has a 98 205 with the LTR. He did the same thing over last winter (just moved North from down South) and he had similar issues.

Once he got some good gas in there it was as good as new.