PDA

View Full Version : Mounting tower on a `93 190 Prostar

Joakim
05-20-2005, 05:08 AM
We are a ski club in Norway who are looking into mounting a Monstertower to our `93 190 Prostar. Is there anyone out there who have done a similar operation? If so, how did you reinforce the deck/hull? (I guess this applies to any make of tower mounted on such an old boat, so feel free to answer even if you have mounted other towers than monsters.) Any other insights on mounting a tower on similar boats are greatly appreciated!

sizzler
05-20-2005, 05:34 AM
welcome to the board.....cant help that much ,,but there are a hell of lot of fellas on here who can........they will be waking up soon ..

erkoehler
05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
They are old, you have to give them another hour or so....

peason
05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the board. I would do a search on the all of the threads since this topic has come up before on several other boats. The key is to get some strong material under neath where you bolt it to the hull - either a board or metal. Another point is to start your drill in the reverse postition when you initially drill through the gel-coat to keep from making chips or cracks. Please do a search until someone else has more info.

sledhead800
05-20-2005, 05:42 PM
we just mounted a monster on our 86 prostar, call the guys at monster and they will give you some pointers. We put larger aluminum plates with the supplied ones to cover more surface and that was about all we did. if the fiberglass is is less than 3/8 make sure to add a aluminum plate that is larger than the supplied backer. ours were 2" x 6" for the back legs and 4" x 8" for the front legs. They are really easy to mount if you follow the install instructions they send with you. Thanks- Jim

Joakim
05-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys! I did perform a search and came up with a few posts that were relevant, I just figured I might get more info i I posted a new one with my specific questions as well.

rem_pss308
05-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Mine is not a Monster tower, But I too had large aluminum backing plates added.
I have had some small gell cracks since the the tower install.
I would recomend a rubber gasket under the mount to allow some give.

If you wanted to do it right. I would glass in the backing plate first.

the newer wakeboard boats are done that way with a thicker hull in the area that the tower is mounted.

86Craft
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I used backer plates listed above on my 86 when I installed my MonsterTower last year. I would have install bigger backer plates for piece of mind regardless of hull thickness. Put a year of use on it and have had no problems so far. The tower may not be have the custom look, but it does what they say it will do. Very quiet tower and it also gets boards and ski's out of the boat. :twocents:

Joakim
05-25-2005, 03:44 AM
We have contacted Mastercraft, and they say that mounting a tower to such an old MC is not advisable seeing as there were no towers around back in `93 and the boat is not constucted to stand up to the extra load and stress a tower would create. Any insights on this?

If we were to mount a tower, we would reinforce the hull with both plywood and fiberglass.

Will an installation like this void the warranty? (Is there still a warranty on our boat? How long is the warranty on MC boats anyway?). Are there issues about insurance we should take in to concideration?

Karsken
05-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Well...good to see other norwegians on the board..!
Hey Joakim where are you located in Norway?
I youst installed a tower on my 88` prostar, altso used some larger plates to reinforce the hull. They are somthing like.....20x15cm and made of 3mm thick stainless steel. And if you use somthing called sicafleks underneath the plates, and then bolt them with 3-5 screws it will never move. :cool:

Snakkes!

murphfsu
05-25-2005, 07:57 AM
I am not sure about the Monster Tower, but I installed a Titan Tower on my PS 190 2 years ago -- Looks great and absolutely no stress cracks. I specifically choose a Titan Tower b/c of its design to handle stress in the right spots -- if you think about where your biggest pull is -- when you are outside the wake getting ready to make a progressive turn -- that should be where the Tower is at its strongest -- and that is what Titan has done with the wishbone shape - all of the stress is against the Tower not the boat.

I have aluminum plates underneath and rubber washers if you will that separate the mounting brackets from the fiberglass. I have a picture of my boat on wakeside.com under their Tower section -- red mastercraft.

Good luck

Leroy
05-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Welcome Joakim!

I would ask top 3 or 4 tower makers that question also and see what they recommend. Not just the sales guy but see what their technical guys say.

east tx skier
05-25-2005, 10:51 AM
We have contacted Mastercraft, and they say that mounting a tower to such an old MC is not advisable seeing as there were no towers around back in `93 and the boat is not constucted to stand up to the extra load and stress a tower would create. Any insights on this?

If we were to mount a tower, we would reinforce the hull with both plywood and fiberglass.

Will an installation like this void the warranty? (Is there still a warranty on our boat? How long is the warranty on MC boats anyway?). Are there issues about insurance we should take in to concideration?

Safe to say that the warranty period has long passed.