PDA

View Full Version : So frustrating!

6ballsisall
05-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Been searching and searching, and searching everywhere I can think of looking for a reasonably priced Open Bow Comp Ski boat under $20k AND here's the deal breaker everytime, it has to be under 20'. No it can't be 20' 1", our lame HOA won't allow anything longer. This SUCKS!!

Any ideas of models? Would like to get something a little newer than a Tri-star and have only found 3 Sportstars. On the dark side, Malibu has the Response LX and the Sportster LX, and every once in a blue moon you can find a nice SNOB. Help!!!

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
With or without platform?

6ballsisall
05-19-2005, 11:17 PM
With or without platform?

Without, it has to be a removeable platform. I read and re-read the rule books. You either have to have the boat measured or show 2 pieces of documentation stating that the boat is under 20' and at anytime if a member calls on your boat, they can measure it and take away your boating rights if it is determined the boat is over 20'

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
How good are you with fiberglass?

seriously doesn't a 197 meet your requirements? It's listed as 19'7".

Without, it has to be a removeable platform. I read and re-read the rule books. You either have to have the boat measured or show 2 pieces of documentation stating that the boat is under 20' and at anytime if a member calls on your boat, they can measure it and take away your boating rights if it is determined the boat is over 20'

6ballsisall
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I would really like a 197, but I would really like to not spend more than 20k, don't think I can get into a 197 for that kind of money :(

Leroy
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I see what you mean, really nice for 29k.

http://www.usedboats.com/index.php?site=usedboats.com&section=search&boatvalues=analysis&boatId=501047#

OhioProstar
05-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey Jeff, I don't know how tough they are at your lake but my parents lake is a little easy when they register boats. I know when my wife's family purchased their 21' Rinker the dealer titled the boat for 20' to fit on Lake Lakengren up in Eaton. The main issue with larger boats at small private lakes is the chop they create. Obviously a ski boat will not send the rollers that a 22' I/O running slow with the trim up. Just a thought.

6ballsisall
05-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I am contemplating buying a 205 and taking all the labels off of it. This rule is so gay! My only worry is if I piss some pontooner or fisherman off and they report the boat and it has to get measured.

T Scott
05-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I am contemplating buying a 205 and taking all the labels off of it. This rule is so gay! My only worry is if I piss some pontooner or fisherman off and they report the boat and it has to get measured.

I have had some friends of mine do this with their outboard motors. A certain lake they were on limited boat hp to 150. They took off their 200hp, 225hp etc decals off the cowlings and replaced them with a factory "150" decal. No-one ever questioned them. Good luck!

erkoehler
05-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Don't do it man, don't jump ship and go to the dark side! You saw my 190, get one of those! Plenty of room for you, the wife, and the baby....

Footin
05-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Prostar 195?

Jorski
05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Why don't you look around for a used 195 Prostar or an open bow Sportstar...both are 19'6" ?

There was also an open bow version of CC Ski Nautique that I am pretty sure was under 20 feet.

6ballsisall
05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Why don't you look around for a used 195 Prostar or an open bow Sportstar...both are 19'6" ?

There was also an open bow version of CC Ski Nautique that I am pretty sure was under 20 feet.

I am looking problem is I have found 3 Sportars and SNOB across the whole nation right now! Anyone know of any?

erkoehler
05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Just do what you think is best for your family, if that is a Malibu or a SN, don't let us stand in your way.

MarkP
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
I am looking problem is I have found 3 Sportars and SNOB across the whole nation right now! Anyone know of any?What year SNOB?? Got a link:D

Brent
05-20-2005, 08:38 AM
How about this

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63686&item=4551111613&rd=1

zberger
05-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Some HOA's are sooooooooooo stupid..

People need other things to worry about.

6ballsisall
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
How about this

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63686&item=4551111613&rd=1

Yep, i saw that one, unfortunately it's about 2k miles away. :cry:

east tx skier
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Probably won't make a difference because they only offered closed bow Sportstars in 98, but remember that the 98 sportstar didn't have a removeable platform, at least according to WSM.

wakinvol
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Mine's not an open bow, but it is for sale at 20K. I'm in TN

lakes Rick
05-20-2005, 10:41 AM
This rule is so gay!

I hope we are not refering to purple boats again!!!!!

jsonova99
05-20-2005, 10:44 AM
we have a couple of HOAs down here that won't even let you keep a boat in your garage. Luckily that's not mine, but there's another one that won't allow you to park a pickup truck in your driveway. Maybe it's just me, aren't pickup truck pretty nice these days? :confused:

ski36short
05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Wow that's pretty weak. A crew cab 4x4 is more expensive than the BMW 3-series that I'm sure your HOA doesn't mind! Who are they to tell you what you can and can't keep in YOUR garage? That's way over the line in my book although I do kinda wish our lake had some sort of rules just to take the edge off the pandamonium. Wait, never mind. Their first idea would probably be to remove that pesky slalom course. Never mind the Donzis, those slalom skiers are terror!

bcampbe7
05-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm not a Lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...
Do HOA's have any legal binding? Not that you want to pi$$ anyone off, but I think they would have a hard time legally kicking you off the lake for having a 21' ski boat. I'm probably wrong though, in fact it was my own house that I stayed in last night...

east tx skier
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
While I'm pretty sure you've agreed to be bound by their rules when you bought the house, if you stand up to them and tell them to bring on the lawsuit, there is a possibility that they'll slink away. Of course, there's also the possibility that they'll bring the pain and you'll wish you hadn't messed with them.

Boils down to how important it is to you to have the boat and the stupid HOA for you not to have it. I'll agree it sucks.

Leroy
05-20-2005, 12:07 PM
There was that open bow conversion project for PS190's ;)

In HOA's, my experience has been the real control freaks jump out for the control positions and president! (ie measurement/sticker job!) Good luck!

AirJunky
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I hear ya on the HOA issue. Some of them can be pretty outrageous. I live in one that I consider to be a bit more reasonable..... I can even park my Dodge Dakota out front without being hassled! The big benefit is you get to "own" some amenity that you might not be able to afford on your own. In my case, 300' of beachfront, a boat slip & ramp! :smile:
They do have a rule that all RVs have to be behind the front corner of the house. This isn't a problem as I have a carport space behind a gate & the boat fits just fine. But I have heard other owners complain about it........ after they park their boat out front for a week or two at a time & someone complains.

Anyway, HERE (http://seattle.craigslist.org/boa/74200712.html) is another nice Sportstar & at a pretty reasonable price. Not exactly the closest to you though. But maybe watching the Craigslist in cities closer to you will give you some more boats to chose from.

Stritt
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
"In HOA's, my experience has been the real control freaks jump out for the control positions and president! (ie measurement/sticker job!)"...Leroy

You hit the nail on the head! I had a friend of mine in Fishers (where Leroy lives) that was written up one time for leaving the boat in the driveway overnight. If I remember correctly he returned from Dale Hollow late at night and just pulled in and went to bed.

Not mowing your grass for 2 weeks is ok though :noface:

planoboy
05-20-2005, 12:52 PM
wut about a mid 90s 200VRS.
seen em w/ LT1 ~20K.

AirJunky
05-20-2005, 01:13 PM
"In HOA's, my experience has been the real control freaks jump out for the control positions and president! (ie measurement/sticker job!)"...Leroy
Then I must be a control freak. I was involved in my condo association back in Seattle & I get involved in the HOA in our new place too. I go down to the beach several times a week to clean up goose crap, spray goose repellant, make all the arrangements for the docks to be put back in the lake, extend the dock 20', pull all the old anchors out of the lake from previous docks, etc. etc. I figure it needs to be done & if it was my place by myself, it would still have to be done, and I'd be the one doing it. So there are about 5 or 6 of us who go down there with a cooler of beer & get'er done.
Next thing you know I'll be on the board.

Jorski
05-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Jrandol,

Maybe you could let a few dealers know what you are looking for, so that if one comes in for trade they will know that they have an interested buyer. Usually, they like that and can cut you a pretty fair deal since they know that they won't have to carry the trade-in.

Footin
05-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Sorry for the highjack, I have told this story before but I feel it is worth repeating about how I handled my HOA.

It happened the day I was moving into my present house.

The moving van was parked in the driveway as the movers were carring in our stuff and my Barefoot 200 was still attached to my truck in the driveway. A woman from down the street came up to me an said "You know you can not keep that boat in your driveway in this nieborhood".
The b#$&H did not even say hello first!

So I responded to her "I have read the HOA rules and they state; you may not park a boat or RV in your driveway or in the street in front of your dwelling for more than 24hrs at a time"

So I proceeded to put my boat in the front yard and left it there for a week.

I wanted to suround it with pink flamingos, but my wife said I had made my point.

AirJunky
05-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey Footin,
I remember that thread & it made me start the pink flamingo parties last winter in my new neighborhood. It went over pretty well & we made some good friends partying on Friday nights with our neighbors.
So have you ever had a chance to tell that story to your neighbors when the b*%&# was able to hear it? Bet she'd be embarrassed as he!! about it!

Footin
05-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Luckily she moved shortly after, maybe because of us.....I can only hope!!!!

Footin
05-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I did hear one guy down the street complain about someones boat in the driveway. The boat was a brand new 25 foot Chapperral. Beautiful boat.

He said the sight of the boat would bring down property values, I told him he better keep his BMW in the garage then because the boat cost more than his car and we don't want HIM to bring the values down.

jsonova99
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Do HOA's have any legal binding? Not that you want to pi$$ anyone off, but I think they would have a hard time legally kicking you off the lake for having a 21' ski boat. I'm probably wrong though, in fact it was my own house that I stayed in last night...

I know somebody who was fined heavily by thier HOA for something he did to the house or something, I forget the details, anyway he sued and lost because of the agreement he had signed. Most HOAs aren't bad, but there are a few that run the developments like the third reich!

jsonova99
05-20-2005, 01:33 PM

You hit the nail on the head! I had a friend of mine in Fishers (where Leroy lives) that was written up one time for leaving the boat in the driveway overnight. If I remember correctly he returned from Dale Hollow late at night and just pulled in and went to bed.

Not mowing your grass for 2 weeks is ok though :noface:

I got a notice for having mildew on my roof shingles lucky for me the hurricane blew most of them away before I had to clean it

Stritt
05-20-2005, 01:41 PM
AirJunky. That doesn't make you a control freak, it makes you a helpful neighbor......now if you told me that my boat was in the drive 5 minutes longer than allowed.......Different story.

Done high jacking thread.

AirJunky
05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
AirJunky. That doesn't make you a control freak, it makes you a helpful neighbor......now if you told me that my boat was in the drive 5 minutes longer than allowed.......Different story.

Done high jacking thread.
Yea, I think the rule about keeping your boat in the driveway is directed at the guy who owns the 1977 Reinell with the missing outboard cover & the blue tarp 1/2 covering it. Kind of hard to make rules to cover that & not the nicer boats. Seems like if their going to have rules like that, there had better be a place to park those boats, either on the side of the house or in a common boat parking area, especially in waterfront community!

BriEOD
05-20-2005, 02:16 PM
You saw my 190, get one of those! Plenty of room for you, the wife, and the baby....

I don't agree. A 190 is tight for a family boat. We will probably be upgrading soon in the not to distant future.

bcampbe7
05-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Jeff-
Is there any way to reason with the HOA? Would they rather have an 18' fishing boat that will do 70MPH or a 21' ski boat that will do 45 and throw nearly no wake. I realize if they make an exception in your case they may have to make an exception in the future for someone else, but...

How big is your lake?

sfitzgerald351
05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Wow... I'm glad I don't have to deal with any HOA issues. I understand why they make the rules... but it always seems like someone is following the rule for the rule's sake and not to enforce the intent of the rule. I like being able to flush the boat in the driveway, change from snow tires to summer tires, and allow my guests to park their car in front of my house while they visit without someone having 'rules' to harass me about! That would drive me batty!

AirJunky
05-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Wow... I'm glad I don't have to deal with any HOA issues. I understand why they make the rules... but it always seems like someone is following the rule for the rule's sake and not to enforce the intent of the rule. I like being able to flush the boat in the driveway, change from snow tires to summer tires, and allow my guests to park their car in front of my house while they visit without someone having 'rules' to harass me about! That would drive me batty!
Scott, none of those things are problems in my neighborhood. If it took you 2 or 3 days to change those tires & covered it with a blue tarp at night, or if you were draining your oil on the driveway & into the storm sewer..... THEN the HOA would get a bit upset.

east tx skier
05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't agree. A 190 is tight for a family boat. We will probably be upgrading soon in the not to distant future.

Unless you're going to an open bow with a full observer seat like the 197 or a walk through with a jump seat in the aisle, from a practical standpoint, you're only gaining one extra seat with the open bow and you lose a lot of storage. I love my open bow, but I wish it had the full o-seat.

jsonova99
05-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I personally like the 190, but that may be more of a style thing for me, I just think that the closed bow has more of a classic speedboat look to it. :twocents: They can be tight though, when my girlfriend and I pile in with the dog, it gets pretty hairy let alone with 3 or 4 people, and the dog!

jayocheskey
05-20-2005, 02:56 PM
HOA's are what they are. Like any other organization in this world, they take forever to implement and are resistant to change, but if you disobey one of the smallest guidelines; they're on you in a flash. You learn to take the good with the bad.

MasterMason
05-20-2005, 03:13 PM

I think all 'ski' boats are tight if you try and put a bunch of folks in them. they were designed to carry very little and to put out a small wake. Even the big Wakeboard boats get tight if you put 4 guys and all their gear in them. I think it is all about what you want to do and how you use the boat. Thats why they make different models for different tastes.

prostar205
05-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Here is a '99 Sportstar (PS195) for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4551111613&category=63686

I know ebay may not be the most risk-averse way to buy a boat, but its worth a try.

Good luck.

Scot
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
If you set your mind to it, you can get the rules modified. Find out how the rule originated and if the same people are around who implemented it. If they're still around you will need to be very political about bring about change.... If they are gone, then maybe you can find enough like thinking people to help you. Learn about the by-laws and what provisions are available to make these changes. If it is a simple up down vote of the HOA board of directors, then they are who you will need to pursued. Another option is to become a candidate to unseat the next board member who is up for election... If you've done your homework and found enough like minded people that want the rule changed.... and if you can get them to the polls on election day.... Chances are you will win... (hardly anyone votes in these elections)... eventually you will prevail if you stick to it.... I personally would never want to be elected to the board of a HOA.... it is hard work... But to me, this sounds worth the aggravation.

If the HOA is managed by a third party.... focus on the by-laws and how to come about change.... In the end, the HOA is representative of the peeps....

SDmc205
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't overlook boats some distance away. I bought my boat in Oklahoma last summer (I live in San Diego, CA) and I don't regret the 2700 round trip in 3 days at all (I saved around 7-8k) doing it.

As for the homeowners, look around and make sure they are actually enforcing the rule against everyone before you despair. A lot of them don't and that gets them into a lot of trouble. They cannot pick and choose who they are enforcing against.

I recently wrote a couple of letters to a neighbor who was giving my parents in law crap about their motor home that is parked (completely) in their driveway. The neighbor started complaining saying it was against the HOA rules. I pointed out that no it wasn't (the HOA says you can't park any vehicles in your driveway and that of the 400 or so houses in the area, 200+ have some vehicle in the driveway. Further I pointed out that there are at least 20 motorhomes parked in the association and that she cannot selectively seek enforcement against any single person.

Stand up for yourself, research the situation carefully and assert your rights against the petty beareucrats.

MasterMason
05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Don't overlook boats some distance away. I bought my boat in Oklahoma last summer (I live in San Diego, CA) and I don't regret the 2700 round trip in 3 days at all (I saved around 7-8k) doing it.

As for the homeowners, look around and make sure they are actually enforcing the rule against everyone before you despair. A lot of them don't and that gets them into a lot of trouble. They cannot pick and choose who they are enforcing against.

I recently wrote a couple of letters to a neighbor who was giving my parents in law crap about their motor home that is parked (completely) in their driveway. The neighbor started complaining saying it was against the HOA rules. I pointed out that no it wasn't (the HOA says you can't park any vehicles in your driveway and that of the 400 or so houses in the area, 200+ have some vehicle in the driveway. Further I pointed out that there are at least 20 motorhomes parked in the association and that she cannot selectively seek enforcement against any single person.

Stand up for yourself, research the situation carefully and assert your rights against the petty beareucrats.

They also have to enforce every rule if they are going to enforce any. This included painting houses, trimming trees etc....

6ballsisall
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM

Up here yes, you have to register the boat with the POA before you can even put it on the water.

bobk
05-20-2005, 09:07 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you here in West Michigan. I pass Action Water Sports everyday on my way to work.

6ballsisall
05-20-2005, 09:10 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you here in West Michigan. I pass Action Water Sports everyday on my way to work.

Wanna sell your 195?? I would be my wifes biggest hero forever if you did! :D

bobk
05-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Wanna sell your 195?? I would be my wifes biggest hero forever if you did! :D

:noface:

I'd like to but she's to nice to let go. My kids and I have been playing with her for the last 5 days she's like part of the family. My wife thinks we are crazy for spending more time in the boat than with our 7 week old baby girl.

PS The boat is in the garage not in the water yet.

Granite_33
05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
What is the Official length of the 205 anyways?

I would get a 205, pull off the numbers, put "sportstar" on it and take it from there.

What is the history of the HOA? Are they a bunch of a$$holes? Anybody work with you on the length?

Its a tough situation to try to "politic" that one through. Tougher yet that open bow boats seem to go quickly and at a premium.

Cary K.
05-20-2005, 10:20 PM
The 20K is really the kicker. Flipsell has a 195 and an X-5 for about 24-25K. Anyway to scrape together a little extra change???

6ballsisall
05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
The 20K is really the kicker. Flipsell has a 195 and an X-5 for about 24-25K. Anyway to scrape together a little extra change???

Yeah, I am sure I could, we could buy new if we wanted to. I am cheap and don't like debt. I am already kinda disturbed about taking out a boat loan out and would like to stick with my financial plan.

Cary K.
05-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I completely understand. Just may be easier than fighting an uphill battle/burning bridges against the HOA; however moronic the rules/bylaws are.

MarkP
05-21-2005, 07:55 AM
:noface:

I'd like to but she's to nice to let go. My kids and I have been playing with her for the last 5 days she's like part of the family. My wife thinks we are crazy for spending more time in the boat than with our 7 week old baby girl.

PS The boat is in the garage not in the water yet.
Iím thinking its time to share the fun with that baby:headbang:

bradamerry
05-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I am sure I could, we could buy new if we wanted to. I am cheap and don't like debt. I am already kinda disturbed about taking out a boat loan out and would like to stick with my financial plan.
I agree with you here Jeff... Notes suck, unless they come from a hottie from across the classroom.... We just backed out of buying a new house.... I think I will keep my money until Brandy finishes school.. :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
05-21-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree with you here Jeff... Notes suck, unless they come from a hottie from across the classroom.... We just backed out of buying a new house.... I think I will keep my money until Brandy finishes school.. :rolleyes:

Whats your wife going to school for Brad?

jimmer2880
05-23-2005, 06:57 AM
I got a notice for having mildew on my roof shingles lucky for me the hurricane blew most of them away before I had to clean it

:uglyhamme

Maristar210
05-23-2005, 11:55 AM
I am not sure if you have seen these yet but www.actionwater.com in Hudsonville Michigan has three Pro-Star's and one Sport-Star all around 17-22k????????????

Maybe this will help???

Good Luck,
Steve

AirJunky
05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
What is the Official length of the 205 anyways?

I would get a 205, pull off the numbers, put "sportstar" on it and take it from there.
20' 6". Plus, depending on it's age & how faded the gelcoat is, the shadow of the old decal may or may not buff out very easily.
Save yourself the hassle & stick to the 195s & 197s.

SteveO
05-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Leroy, where did the pic of the pickle fork 197 come from on the first page of this thread?

Lake_Tippy_Skier
05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Looks like a cut & paste job to me

bradamerry
05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Whats your wife going to school for Brad?
She wants to teach school.. Not much money, but better than nothing!!

Leroy
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
It's a new boat for next year replacing the old v fronts.

Leroy, where did the pic of the pickle fork 197 come from on the first page of this thread?

Leroy
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
JK!!! 8p My hacking.

tph
05-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Maybe you can convince them that this is 20 ft.long

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4551973195&category=63686

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 01:26 AM
TPH, That boat would be perfect and it's close. I'd try it but the wife is to scared to risk it. I'll tell ya, I think I am almost stuck buying a ski boat that begins in M but doesn't end in craft! This rule sucks! :mad:

jhedges
05-24-2005, 02:08 AM
The TriStar 190 @ 19'5" is the only open bow inboard tow boat of any make I know of that is less than 20' and $20k. Boattraderonline.com has 6 listed all for less than 12k. This boat came stock with the 351 PCM. There is a TriStar 190 barefoot but its a closed bow.

In 1991 there was a ProStar / Barefoot 200 (20'1") but it was a 200 HP outboard.

Good luck!

Mag_Red
05-24-2005, 05:31 AM
TPH, That boat would be perfect and it's close. I'd try it but the wife is to scared to risk it. I'll tell ya, I think I am almost stuck buying a ski boat that begins in M but doesn't end in craft! This rule sucks! :mad:Jeff, let's rethink this for a minute...........Maybe you are boating on the wrong body of water. Anywhere but Hidden Valley, you could have any size boat you want. Now if you were say..........part own of a houseboat on Cumberland........you and the misses could have an open bow that's longer than 20" :D

6ballsisall
05-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Jeff, let's rethink this for a minute...........Maybe you are boating on the wrong body of water. Anywhere but Hidden Valley, you could have any size boat you want. Now if you were say..........part own of a houseboat on Cumberland........you and the misses could have an open bow that's longer than 20" :D

You could be right Mag. The thing is part of the reason we wanted to live up here is so we had a local boating lake within minutes of our house. She really wants something 98 or newer so the Tri-star doesn't fit the bill. Oh, be careful what you ask for, I might take you up on that houseboat in a year or so! :D

AirJunky
05-24-2005, 12:31 PM
If you can be a bit flexible on the location, price or year, then there are 20' bow riders out there.

Right length but it's only a 1996:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/9/77227449.htm

Can you raise your price a bit?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/9/79486899.htm

Another one for $25k
http://seattle.craigslist.org/boa/73563184.html

a 1997 v-drive:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/boa/72016347.html

$25k
http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=7695