PDA

View Full Version : Engine Issues

47Driver
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Two issues with the engine. Both started the same day. One: The motor just shuts down when under power. It has not happened at idle but shuts down when underway (2k and 4k rpm). No indication that it is going to happen. Just shuts off. When the engine is running it runs strong. Thinking possibly the safety switch is going bad?? Two: The engine is hard to start (cold or hot). I have to crank about 10-15 seconds or so to get it cranking (usually cranks on the second try).

Thanks for any suggestions.
1994PS205 EFI/EI

denverd1
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
1. Sounds right on the switch.
2. It's a Ford? More info... sounds like fuel

flipper
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
'94 EFI would be the 350

Could be the kill switch. I'd bypass it and see if it still does it. For the starting problem, how long ago was the last tune up?

cbryan70
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Tune up?????????

André
05-05-2009, 06:41 PM
1) Clogged screen at the inlet of the fuel pump under the brass fitting.
2) Bad IAC ? (idle air control on the TBI)
Good luck!
My 2 cents...:)

JimN
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Two issues with the engine. Both started the same day. One: The motor just shuts down when under power. It has not happened at idle but shuts down when underway (2k and 4k rpm). No indication that it is going to happen. Just shuts off. When the engine is running it runs strong. Thinking possibly the safety switch is going bad?? Two: The engine is hard to start (cold or hot). I have to crank about 10-15 seconds or so to get it cranking (usually cranks on the second try).

Thanks for any suggestions.
1994PS205 EFI/EI

Make sure the grounds are all clean and tight. I worked on one that shut off in a turn and they couldn't get it started again. The fuel pump ground wire was loose and once the temperature under the motor box was high enough, the wires sagged and it let go in the turn.

For that matter, I would go through the whole boat and make sure ALL connections are snug. It is a '94, after all.

cbryan70
05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I beleive what Jim is trying to say is that you should pull the motor and rewire the whole boat. :-)