PDA

View Full Version : Snaking the steering cable 2002 X-Star

Topless67
05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello,

I'm replacing the steering cable on my 02 X Star but the cable is getting hung up below the fuel cell.

I can't pull any harder nor can I pull my attached follow rope back.

I'm thinking of pulling up the center section of my floor but cannot figure out how to remove it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

dummy
05-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Punch in "Steering Cable Replacement" in the search engine and you'll get like 100 threads on it.

Bought mine from MYMC. Price rocked, shipping was fast, and it was the right part. Here's a quick writeup I did on his forum right after I did my cable swap. Keep in mind mine is a 23-foot, so things may be slightly different than your X Star: http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=5007&forum=4&category=2

nmcjr
05-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I also have a 02 star. Yes, pull up the center section of the floor for sure--as I recall there are just a couple screws holding it down, I think they are under the cooler under the back seat.

Also, you will find the whole operation easier if the steering cable is fully retracted inside the cable, as the rigid link at the end will be shorter. Do the same on the new one before assembly.

Topless67
05-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the help.

I just completed the job.

Six bolts hold down the center seat section.

Once the bolts were removed, it was easy to pry out the center floor section - surprised to find the floor is an aluminum panel with reinforcement ribs.

With the center floor out, I found where the cable was hanging up and it is great advice to retract the cable all the way when you have to fish the cable under the fuel cell, it is much easier.

Justin:)

Renman
07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
What length cable did you use for your 02 X-Star? Every dealer I call gives me a different length. One says 19 foot, another says 17 foot.

Splash
08-05-2010, 04:21 AM
I bought a 19' for my 2007 X1. Teleflex SSC13419.