PDA

View Full Version : Same story (bad dealer) need help

wakefunX-2
05-19-2005, 05:33 PM
The following is a letter i have put together to send to Mastercraft over my conscerns about my dealing with this dealer who is representing the Mastercraft name, and if it came down to it, i would not ever buy another boat from them again unless something is done. Here is the letter, thank you for any input.

Dear MasterCraft Representative for Dealer Relations:

This letter is to inform you of some concerns I have had with a MasterCraft dealer in my area. Let me first say, we purchased a X-2 just under a year ago from a dealer here in Northern California, and have been more than satisfied with our actual boat. The X-2 is a fantastic boat, and my father and I whom purchased the boat could not be more satisfied with the product. Our main concerns have all been centered on our dealings with the dealer we purchased the boat from. They are the only MasterCraft dealer in the Sacramento Area, so we were forced by location to do our business with them.

After spending countless hours on my friends X-Star, My Father and I decided it was time to get a towboat of our own. We went to the only MasterCraft dealer in our area, and found a 2003 X-2 with about 208 hours on it. Since we did not want a brand new boat for our first boat and we did not want to spend the time breaking it in for the first season, it seemed like a perfect fit for us. The boat, although it was used, was being sold with the full factory warranty, which seemed great to us because we could have all the necessary problems with the boat, fixed. The first sales person we spoke with didnít seem to have the time nor the desire to answer any of our questions, and because this was my father and my first boat purchase ever, we had a lot of them. We met the salesman later that week for a test drive/ride at our local lake. Just to paint a picture for you of how professional this salesman was, he arrived eating fast food in our future boat, to which he never threw away his trash, and left it in the boat, we later found, for a week. The test drive/ride was fine with exception of the salesmanís lack of true knowledge of your boat, and the differences between this boat and the other MasterCraft models. My father, my friend (who owns an X-Star) and myself were all pretty astonished when the salesman, while putting the boat on the trailer he hit the trailer with the prop and killed it!!! We all knew by the horrible crunching sound that damage had been done, but he quickly assured us everything was fine declaring ď"oh yeah, everything is fine, talk to you later". To the dealers defense, you can just assume that some salesmen are going to be better than others, and this guy was a perfect example of a person you should not have selling your product. After the test drive and despite the now damaged prop we went to the dealer to put a deposit on the boat. A week later, we went to the dealer to finalize the deal, and while my dad is speaking with one of the managers, I went to take a look at that boat. Mind you that we had already placed a deposit on this boat, they had left in uncovered in the hot Sacramento heat; it was filthy, and littered with peoples footprints all over the carpet and there was the fast food trash from noted salesman. Needless to say, there was no attention to the boat after the deal was underway, which began to infuriate my father and myself, but after they assured us that it was an oversight, we signed the deal and became the proud owners of our new boat.

Owning the boat has been wonderful, its performance and its style, we love everything about it. The only issues that arose were small maintnance issues, but because we have the warranty, we wanted to get them taken care of. We figured the off-season would be the best time to take it in, so we brought the boat to the dealer in November. The issues we had in November still have not been taken care of, and now with peak season upon us, they are now having us wait longer.

In making some stereo modifications to the boat, we needed to install a 90-amp alternator in our boat. We called this dealer and they informed us that in order to have our warranty stay intact, we need a MasterCraft dealer make the switch. So, we asked them how much the labor would cost to install the new alternator, and they quoted us $280 in labor (we will supply the 90-amp alternator). I thought this was high, so I called another dealer in the bay area, roughly 100 miles away, and they quoted us $150 for labor. I have to, as a consumer, question this difference. Although our dealer is doing the small warranty issues we planned in November now, we are going to drive to the bay area and have the other dealer install the alternator.

Frankly we are just tired of getting ripped off. I feel that this dealer is incapable of creating return clientele if they treat all their boat purchasers this way. I know that they have burnt a bridge with my family and our friends, who in total, own four MasterCrafts. In talking with many MasterCraft owners in the greater Sacramento area, most of them have had at least one horror story about horrible service or outrageous costs. Our future business will belong to another MasterCraft dealer that is 100 miles away, all because they somehow lost the idea of customer service. We understand that we have not purchased the most expensive boat on the lot, but the cost of bad marketing is going to be the price they will have to pay. I am hoping that in bringing this to your attention, you can reassess your relationship with this dealer, and/or at least be aware that this is not a single case, there are many more out there. I know they sell a lot of boats at that location, I would be curious to know how many of those customers have been as upset as us. Thank you sincerely for your time, and especially for producing such a great line of towboats.

Sincerely,

Cory Hottman

Sacramento, CA

Footin
05-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Nicely written. I think Mastercraft should know about these kinds of issues.

BriEOD
05-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow, still not taken care of?? Man that is awful to hear. Very well done with the letter. I hope you get someone's attention.

G-man
05-19-2005, 06:05 PM
well done, I can't figure how a prop hit a trailer because the bunks hold it above the prop guard and the guides keep it off the fenders. Could he have hit something else or did you see damage to the trailer? Just wondering?

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Nicely done. Shame it had to come to that. But MC needs to hear about these things so that it can keep its windows to the boat buying public free of filth muck.

tex
05-19-2005, 06:12 PM
well done, I can't figure how a prop hit a trailer because the bunks hold it above the prop guard and the guides keep it off the fenders. Could he have hit something else or did you see damage to the trailer? Just wondering?

Trailer too deep-Don't ask how I know!

Nice letter. Did they clean the boat up before you closed?

wakefunX-2
05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey George, you are right, it would be hard to do with the Mastercraft trailers, but my dealer has a local company make them trailers, they dont buy the Mastercraft trailers from Mastercraft. I guess its another way they "save money on the cost of the boat so we can sell them to you for cheaper" Yeah right!

AirJunky
05-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Nicely worded. It'll be interesting to hear how it gets handled. Even more interesting to hear the dealer's reaction.

boatwake
05-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Your letter is well written. Go with it!

I feel your pain. I have the same problem with my local dealer. I'll be pulling mine to Charlotte (300 miles) for any servicing I can't do myself (I really don't want to do any of the work, but I no longer trust the local dealer and I don't really want to drag the boat to Charlotte more than once a year). For me it's not about cost. I'm willing to pay for timely quality service. Over the past 10 years I've owned a 190 and now an X2. I am a believer in the brand, but the local dealership makes it hard for me to recommend MC to anyone.

mbeach
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Trailer too deep-Don't ask how I know!

Nice letter. Did they clean the boat up before you closed?
yup, my wife came in crooked and same thing happened to her with trailer being too deep.

X2M
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
WakefunX-2
I think your letter is very respectful. But still gets the point across that you are frustrated.
I have also purchased two boats from the same Northern California dealer. The first one was used. And like you had a bad experience. The sales person did not damage the prop but got us stuck in the middle of the lake out of gas. (It really sucks to have a Bayliner towing a Mastercraft back to the dock!!) Found out later that it was a bad sending unit. It took us FOREVER to get them to fix it the right way. I was very tempted to write a letter also. I don't think we will ever purchase a used boat from them again.
But this spring we purchased a brand new boat from them (since they are the only dealer within a 100 miles). A nicer experience. But it still could have been better.
This Northern California dealer has gotten very lazy and way to cocky. They are among the top ten Mastercraft dealers in the nation. They think they don't have to work hard for their customers anymore. If you don't buy from them, then oh well. There are probably 10-20 more people in line behind you to buy.
I understand where you are coming from. Maybe I should write a letter too. :twocents: :twocents:

Footin
05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
It would be interesting to see if Mastercraft does anything, this is one of their highest volume dealers. I have heard MC watches this board (as they should for informational purposes) so they may already have the letter.

wakefunX-2
05-19-2005, 07:41 PM
X2mamma, im sorry to hear that but like i said, i know of about 3 or 4 people that have been really f*$#!d over by this dealer. And it is at this point that when it comes time for a new boat i will be driving to the bay area for a boat, in fact have already talked with the dealer and they have been more helpful than anyone from my dealer. Im not asking for alot here, but i think you hit it right on the head, they dont feel like/ or want to work to keep you happy, and thats the part that sucks, i hope we can keep this post going long enough to get some ones attantion.

rodltg2
05-19-2005, 10:07 PM
i bought my boat from the same dealer hate that place but they had the boat i wanted. and its walking distance from my office. the boat was also used and very dirty and i refused to pick it up until it was detailed. then the perfect pass cable snapped and they ordered a new one( so i thought ) the dumb *** forgot too so i had to wait almost a month to get it. luckliy i rigged the old one too work. you have to be strict with this dealer. when i had my spark plug issue i had it taken care of in 3 days. i just drove my boat down to bell aqua w/o an appt. demanded they fix it. parked in the front lot. i lied and told them i had a tournament to train for and they better put a rush on it.

are you going to ski world now? im going to try and have my MB dealer work on this boat they are great.

rodltg2
05-19-2005, 10:13 PM
by the way , thats why i bought the boat bare bones, i did not want them installing anything. i put the tower, stereo and bimini in myself. on a second note , the boat was supposed to originaly come with a bimini top but they coulnt find it. i bought it in august of 04 , just got the thing in march 05.

lakes Rick
05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Anyone know if the Redding dealer is any better????

JDK
05-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Wakefun, no disrespect intended, but your letter to MC is not going to carry much weight.
1) Used boat = Caveat emptor (buyer beware)
2) I'm pretty sure that if you got a 'new boat warranty', it's not from MC, it's the dealer himself who is 'topping up' any coverage that is left on the original owners 'new boat warranty'.
3) Before you stroke a cheque (check to you American bros.), you must have everything spelled out.....like having the boat cleaned.
4) How much weight would a letter to GM carry from the second owner of a Cadillac? MC is not GM, but this is pretty much out of their hands.

wakefunX-2
05-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Sorry JDK if i didnt make this clear, the boat is new, never regestered. It was used by the dealer on their lake for demos, so as far as Mastercraft goes, it is a brand new 03. Besides i really dont see your point? I am not asking for a new boat here, nor does it matter if the boat is new or used, a dealer of that size and selling a product should be able to at the very least treat a buyer with a level of respect. So im sorry if you misunderstood what is going on in this one example of many more "make the sale and run" way of doing bussiness. So to recap
1. The boat is NEW
2. The warranty is a full Mastercraft ( not the dealer ) warranty
3. Well 3 i really dont understand what your getting at with this one "3) Before you stroke a cheque (check to you American bros.), you must have everything spelled out.....like having the boat cleaned." I'm lost sorry.
4. No your right, but the fact is that this is a new boat, not something bought second hand, Im not sure what you think i am looking for here other than to be treated with some respect. I understand that Mastercraft isnt GM, but i thought Mastercraft was a "family" and this is no way to Treat some one who you want to come back and spend another 50k.

JDK
05-20-2005, 03:03 AM
...and found a 2003 X-2 with about 208 hours on it. Since we did not want a brand new boat for our first boat and we did not want to spend the time breaking it in for the first season

Sorry Wakefun, reading these 2 sentences, I assumed you had purchased a used boat with 208 hrs. on it. This sheds a different light on your entire story.
I am sure MasterCraft has 'delivery standards' and it sounds like they weren't met in your case.
Good on ya for sending this letter to MC, but make sure they know you're the original owner.
(btw, #3 means put every detail of the sale, like having the boat cleaned and fully fueled in the bill of sale before you give a dealer ANY money)

H2OGirl
05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Boy do I share everyone's feelings in dealing with a poor dealership. I have also informed MC of the poor service I received from the dealership we bought our boat from. Unfortunately I don't think much will be done about it. Here in WI there are laws that protect business from having there dealers liscence revoked. In other words MC can't just pull out of this dealership. That is WI, CA might be different. I imagine if it is one of MC top dealers, very little will get done. My advice, send the letter, keep on it, but realize that nothing will probably get done. Word of mouth about the poor service and not doing any repeat business is probably the best that you can do. My husband and I are in the same boat, we are never going to do business with the dealership and nor will anyone we know.

It is unfortunate that such a great product has such poor people representing them.

SD190EVO
05-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Even $150 is asinine for labor. What's the hourly, $1,000,000/hr??? It takes literally less than 10 minutes for a one-handed mechanic to install an alternator. Do it yourself and if you ever have to take it in, just put the old one back in. That is a bunch of cr*p about the warranty anyway, a replacement alternator is not going to void your warranty. I can see it now, Customer: "My gelcoat is blistering..." Dealer: "Well, since you put in that crazy alternator I'm afraid your warranty is void..."

zberger
05-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Even $150 is asinine for labor. What's the hourly, $1,000,000/hr??? It takes literally less than 10 minutes for a one-handed mechanic to install an alternator. Do it yourself and if you ever have to take it in, just put the old one back in. That is a bunch of cr*p about the warranty anyway, a replacement alternator is not going to void your warranty. I can see it now, Customer: "My gelcoat is blistering..." Dealer: "Well, since you put in that crazy alternator I'm afraid your warranty is void..."

:D :D

Thats funny right there.

rodltg2
06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
i'm still not a big fan of my dealer , but a certian person there knows how to take care of customers. im still pissed off at my boat problems but this guy got me 2002 197 as a loaner until they can fix my boat.