PDA

View Full Version : Another Brake Lock up question

sk8salomon
04-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Trailer is an '02 PS190/197 trailer, single axle. I have three blue wires in my trailer harness that recieve dc voltage from my truck reverse lights. Two blue wires go to the reverse lights on the trailer. The third blue wire goes to the solenoid to bypass fluid pressure when in reverse. With my truck in reverse (not running) i have verified that both trailer reverse lights are ON. I have also verified with a meter that the blue wire going to the solenoid has roughly 8 vdc. My brakes lock up almost 75% of the time in reverse. If I switch my transmission to 4w low, I can slowly reverse and eventually force the brakes to "let go" and then continue to reverse without any friction. Is it possible the solenoid is bad? I've tried rolling forward, then back, then forward again but still lock up.

Jerseydave
05-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Just a guess, but I would think there should be 12V to the solenoid. Also make sure your ground wire is good, my buddys was not and the trailer would not back up without having a good ground curcuit.

sk8salomon
05-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Just a guess, but I would think there should be 12V to the solenoid. Also make sure your ground wire is good, my buddys was not and the trailer would not back up without having a good ground curcuit.

yeah, i kinda thought the same thing too but with my truck not running (key on) and (4) reverse lights illuminated, i wondered if 8 vdc is about right? my truck battery is a 2 yr old 1000 cca. i'll check the ground circuit, thanks.

CantRepeat
05-01-2009, 08:44 AM
He might get more volts to that wire with truck running. I thought I had read somewhere that they solenoids would work correctly with anywhere from 9-16 volts. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

I would make sure there is aground wire on the truck side of the pigtail that is wired to the frame or something. A lot off people just leave it unwired and expect the ball and hitch to conduct the ground.