PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Try???

Shane21
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Any one every try leaving their wakeboards on the tower racks as they are towing the boat back home? It's such a pain taking them down each time and having to step over them in the bottom of the boat, but I haven't been brave enough yet to leave them up. Just wondering.........

CantRepeat
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I have not. Like most people I followed the instructions from NDT about towing with something in the rack. I figured $2200 bucks in a tower and uncrack in the gelcoat were enough reasons not to leave stuff up there.

But, if you never tow faster then you boat what is the difference? The boat gets pounded far more on the lake then the road. Trouble is I drive at speeds near 75 while towning the boat.

ttu
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
don't

there is a large liability factor you are playing with here! if the board were to fly off and strike a vehicle you would be responsible.

Maristar210
04-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I have left mine in for the two mile run to get gas from the place I have on the water. No worries there but I would not go flying down the freeway with them in the rack. No only could they com out they could also cause an injury to another motorist which you would be liable for. Shorts trip? Yup - Freeway? no way..

Sodar
04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Depends if you are going 25mph to the ramp or 75mph down the freeway.

I have seen some guys towing with boards up there and everyone in my car laughed and pointed.

Take the extra 3 minutes to pop out the boards... for your safety and others.

PapaJoe
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Do not do it!!!!!!!!!

Even at a slow speed, by the due fact I spent alot of money on my board....

Are the secure in the rack, sure, worth the risk, NO....

Take the minute to pull them down, and place on the floor........

Hollywood
04-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Placing them on the floor isn't all that safe either. They can catch some wind and come flying up and out.

But... since I am a skier I am all for wakeboards skidding down the pavement!

denverd1
04-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Hell, i've seen them fly out of the rack running across the lake on a windy day.

Tell your crew to get their head out of their asses and help out!

davomaddo
05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
As long as you aren't going over 40mph, it wouldn't be any different than driving around with them on your boat. With the exception - that if your board flys off - it is toast on the road + you might hurt someone.

SOCALX45
05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I go from my house to the lake and back the boards in the rack. I dont go above 40 and its about 2-3 miles away. I wouldnt go on the freeway with them in. I also turn the racks inward when i do.[/I]

tex
05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
It only takes one!

flipper
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't go down the highway with them in the racks like others have said. A quick run to the ramp I would, but not down the highway. Not only do you risk losing your board, you run the risk of hurting who ever is behind you.

Shane21
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, it sounds like this is an easy decision. As far as them flying out on the floor, I have a cover from windshield to sundeck that I put on each time. It keeps everything from flying out. Everything else goes in the cabin. Thanks!!!

dapicatti
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
My wife's board flew out of our boat when it was on the backseat last year....(long story, seat wasn't attached due to no snap from factory) it was not fun, 60 mph could have hit someone on the highway behind us. Needless to say it was toast and I bought her the exact same board for Christmas this year. We always put them in the back of the Avalanche now. Wierd stuff can and does happen all the time.

Shane21
06-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Yikes!!! The way my luck runs, it would do some serious damage if it were to fly out.

TX.X-30 fan
06-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Had my wife's fly out and not a scratch.

djhuff
06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I have also seen the extra weight cause a rack to snap. Even though it may not seem like it, the water is more forgiving than those quick jerks you get on the trailer from rough roads and potholes.

BigJon
06-24-2009, 04:21 PM
It's funny, after reading this thread a week or so ago I started noticing a lot of people driving on the highway with ski boats that had wakeboards in their racks!

I would never so it myself but just never really noticed it before reading this.

Shane21
06-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I've never seen anyone doing it!!! I certainly don't plan on risking it.