PDA

View Full Version : 01 X-30 Problems

AFX-30
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
I just came home from Iraq to find out my boat was not running anymore. Apparently it was taken out and the impellar popped out of the mounting bracket got twisted, created a lot of suction but with no water going into the motor. The motor overheated and it blew out the head gaskets, the exhaust baffle got blown out, and it cracked the external water hook up. I replaced the head gaskets and the other stuff but now am having a problem getting it to fire. I am trying to find a wiring diagram for a 5.7L Indmar. Does anyone know where or how I can get ahold of one?

AFX-30
05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
I got a wiring diagram but am now trying to find the part number for the crank shaft position sensors so I can buy them at the parts store but no luck. Does anyone know the part number for these sensors?

JohnE
05-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I can't answer the question...but how did all that happen to your boat?

coz
05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I can't answer the question

Me neither but welcome home :headbang:

JimN
05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I got a wiring diagram but am now trying to find the part number for the crank shaft position sensors so I can buy them at the parts store but no luck. Does anyone know the part number for these sensors?

It has two crank position sensors. Why are you looking at those as a problem? If they were damaged, I can see it but they're potted in epoxy. Were the wires ripped out of them? They may have been re-inserted in the wrong positions when it was reassembled, too. Swap them and see if it runs.

dummy
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
That's a pretty ****ty way for your friends to repay your service, but thanks from us all and welcome home.

Don't know if it'll help, but lots on this board offered a bunch of good suggestions when my boat's LTR took a dive last summer. Maybe something in here will be of help:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25568&highlight=maristar+start

TMCNo1
05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I just came home from Iraq to find out my boat was not running anymore. Apparently it was taken out and the impellar popped out of the mounting bracket got twisted, created a lot of suction but with no water going into the motor. The motor overheated and it blew out the head gaskets, the exhaust baffle got blown out, and it cracked the external water hook up. I replaced the head gaskets and the other stuff but now am having a problem getting it to fire. I am trying to find a wiring diagram for a 5.7L Indmar. Does anyone know where or how I can get ahold of one?

Thanks for your service and welcome home, but along with trying to repair the boat, I'd be finding the friends/family??? or whomever??? that took the boat out, tore it up and I would start passing the collection hat to cover whatever the costs are to get it back in shape. :twocents:
If there is a next time that your away, be sure to secure the boat so no one can do that to you again.

flipper
05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Glad you made it home safe and sorry to hear what they did to your boat while you were away. Personally I'd take it to a shop and send who ever did this the bill

AFX-30
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys I will try swapping them I did the resistance ck and from the indmar manual it says the crank sensors are bad.

JimN
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys I will try swapping them I did the resistance ck and from the indmar manual it says the crank sensors are bad.

Where are you measuring from and what was the reading? If the resistance was low and you measured from the IC module or ECM, I would check right at the sensors. Unless the harness shorted against the motor when it overheated, I don't know why the crank sensors would pick this as the time to go bad.

Since I mentioned it, do a complete inspection of the harness. When a motor overheats that badly, anything that's plastic, not made for high temperature and in contact with the motor is likely to melt.

AFX-30
05-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I was measuring right at the sensors themselves. Pulled out the entire harness and wen tover it with a fine tooth comb and found notta. I did the paper clip between the A and B teminals on the diagnostics plug and it keeps flashing 12 and then 34. Does anyone know what the 34 code is? I just want to take the family to the lake. We are all dying to go but everyone here who has boats either does not want to take our three kids with them or they want to go out and just get drunk which is not so good for the family.

JimN
05-16-2009, 04:14 PM
34 is MAP sensor voltage low. Make sure the hose that connects the map sensor to the intake isn't leaking or off at one end.

Here's a list of GM codes- only the two digit ones apply and then, not everything shown.
http://www.montecarloss.com/SSThunder/gmcodes.html

As long as you don't pierce the wire insulation, you can check the voltages at the sensors. Piercing the insulation is only asking for trouble down in the future.

It should run with a bad MAP sensor but it may be hard to start and it will probably be sluggish. It defaults to a preset if the sensor actually goes bad.

AFX-30
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Well the saga gets even more out of hand. Replaced the map sensor that mounts to the front of the intake no more code there. Checked the CP sensors supposed to get 800-1200 ohms only getting around 580 at the sensors themselves. So go to replace them but can not find them anywhere. I have been to every auto parts store in town with no luck in finding them. Someone please help me with a part number. They are the 2 prong ones not the three prong sensors that the parts store keeps giving me. Oh just for kicks and giggles pulled out the knock sensor and that thing was toast. The end of the sensor was missing about a 1/4in.

Jerseydave
05-16-2009, 08:20 PM
First off welcome back and thank you for serving our country.

I would think your best bet is to contact your local MC dealer, or one of the fine dealers that posts on here often for the parts you need. (Jim@BAWS or MYMC come to mind)
1-2 days for shipping and you should have your parts.

If you were up here in NJ I'd be glad to take you and your family out on the boat. I'm really proud of you folks in the military.

-Dave

Hrkdrivr
05-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Where do you live? PM me if you like. We're in Fayetteville NC and would be happy to take you guys out while you work this problem.

Retired USAF myself...welcome home and thanks!

JimN
05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Well the saga gets even more out of hand. Replaced the map sensor that mounts to the front of the intake no more code there. Checked the CP sensors supposed to get 800-1200 ohms only getting around 580 at the sensors themselves. So go to replace them but can not find them anywhere. I have been to every auto parts store in town with no luck in finding them. Someone please help me with a part number. They are the 2 prong ones not the three prong sensors that the parts store keeps giving me. Oh just for kicks and giggles pulled out the knock sensor and that thing was toast. The end of the sensor was missing about a 1/4in.

The good thing about the knock sensor is that it won't keep the motor from running, it'll just throw a code and retard the timing.

I'll look in my manual to see if the Crank sensor part number is in there.

AFX-30
05-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the help I appreciate it. This is killing me. Everytime I turn around I got another issue but I got my dream boat sitting in the driveway so I guess I can not complain to much. Its raining here in SC this weekend so I am not having the withdraws as bad ad I would be if it was sunny but I got a four day weekend next week and want to be on the water with the in-laws and kiddos. Well thats good about the knock sensor but it shows me just how hot they got the motor. I am just gad nothing got warped. If it aint the knock sensors I am going for the ICU next because being that close to the motor and it geting that hot can not be that good for it. It is kicking out codes so I figure that the ECU should be good hopefully. If i keep up at the rate I am going I am gonna have a brand new motor soon.

JimN
05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Check the three relays on the motor, along with their fuses. As I mentioned before, when a motor overheats, the harness can melt and if that happens, fuses blow, sensor wires short to ground and some of these can make it not fire or trigger the injectors.

AFX-30
05-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Well I got the boat running finally. I found a graound wire that I did not know about and had to swap the crank postition sensor wiring harness because when I went to swap them I pulled a pin out of the connector. Got a new harness hooked it up, turned the key and it started on the first bump. Now just to repair the exhoust and off we go to the lake. Thanks everyone for all the help.