PDA

View Full Version : Possessed Perfect Pass

bsimpson
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Has anyone ever had their Perfect Pass control become possessed in the middle of a session? I have the Wakeboard Pro on an '05 X-Star and was out a couple weekends ago when in the middle of my session the boat jumped from 21 mph to about 40 mph. I thought my driver had disengaged the Perfect Pass and was just messing with me. Turns out he was as shocked as I was. The water was a little choppy and I must have been up for 45 minutes without falling (wasn't feeling like pushing it) before the Perfect Pass decided to take me for a ride. :woohoo:

After I jumped back in the boat and tested it out again it worked perfectly. I think I should name the boat Christine! :eek3:

Ric
05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
that's the "you're hogging the water" feature
45 minutes is the cutoff ;)

bsimpson
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
that's the "you're hogging the water" feature
45 minutes is the cutoff ;)

I was trying to hog as much as I could :banana: My two buddies all got a session before me on the morning glass and by the time it was my turn it was chop. I had to be careful though... I came close to putting my 12 year old spotter to sleep. I caught him a few times checking out the scenery. :popcorn:

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 02:46 PM
I was reading yesterday about the update for the 05 boats. Don't know if it would fix this problem, but probably worth a look. Sounds dangerous to me.

I know they used to recommend turning it off before going to pick up a downed skier for concern that it would surge when, as some do, the driver put the boat in reverse to bring the transom a little closer to the skier.

rick s.
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Did it run you up to 40 then slow back down or did it stay at 40?

Bet it also woke the driver up.

On my boat the speed transducer is located just forward and slightly outboard of the center drain plug (Maristar 210). In certain conditions (mostly chop, and it doesn't happen very often) the waterflow thru the transducer must become aerated and the Wakeboard Pro senses the speed is low and accelerates. Once back into smooth water however it then senses it's going to fast and pulls the throttle back.

This is using the speed mode-of-operation not the rpm mode.

bsimpson
05-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Did it run you up to 40 then slow back down or did it stay at 40?

It just kept accelerating until the driver pulled the throttle back to disengage the perfect pass. It was maybe between 35 to 40 for about 10 seconds tops. Just long enough to think about launching but not enough time to realize there was no wake to jump.

I thought the about the same thing with the sensor so it probably is not too common but at least normal. Thanks for the input. :friday:

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 03:51 PM
I presume since you were starting at 21 mph, that you were in speed mode.

MYMC
05-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Well that took less time than I thought it would...which engine do you have and how much ballast are you running?

MYMC
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
The explination can be long winded so if you would like you can call (704-525-6660) me and I'll explain what is going on. Do you remember if the boat is set to "override throttle"?

bsimpson
05-23-2005, 06:07 PM
The explination can be long winded so if you would like you can call (704-525-6660) me and I'll explain what is going on. Do you remember if the boat is set to "override throttle"?

Thank you MYMC. I haven't had the problem since. I am running the L-18 on an '05 X-Star. I didn't have any ballast at the time it got possessed but the driver had made a 180 degree turn about a minute before. I had the Perfect Pass in speed mode. If it happens again I'll give you a call but it may have been a fluke incident.

MYMC
05-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Depending on the build date there are some real issues that need to be addressed. This should become more evident as the ballast load increases.

bsimpson
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Depending on the build date there are some real issues that need to be addressed. This should become more evident as the ballast load increases.
Hello MYMC,

My build date was March 3rd, 2005. I flew out to the factory to see the boat get completed but missed it by one day!! What are the build dates that seem to have the problems?

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Are these the issues with paddle wheel placement not being far enough back on some of the v-drive models? (hope I'm not starting rumors).

P-Rod
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Has anyone ever had their Perfect Pass control become possessed in the middle of a session? I have the Wakeboard Pro on an '05 X-Star and was out a couple weekends ago when in the middle of my session the boat jumped from 21 mph to about 40 mph. I thought my driver had disengaged the Perfect Pass and was just messing with me. Turns out he was as shocked as I was. The water was a little choppy and I must have been up for 45 minutes without falling (wasn't feeling like pushing it) before the Perfect Pass decided to take me for a ride. :woohoo:

After I jumped back in the boat and tested it out again it worked perfectly. I think I should name the boat Christine! :eek3:

Its funny that you mention this possesed perfect pass situation. This happened to me this past weekend while pulling my son. The boat was pulling him at the set speed, when all of a sudden it dropped the speed and then took off like a bat out of hell. I think the look on my sons face matched that on mine. After this on instance, the perfect pass worked like a charm.

bsimpson
05-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Its funny that you mention this possesed perfect pass situation. This happened to me this past weekend while pulling my son. The boat was pulling him at the set speed, when all of a sudden it dropped the speed and then took off like a bat out of hell. I think the look on my sons face matched that on mine. After this on instance, the perfect pass worked like a charm.
Hello P-Rod,

Did you make a turn directly prior to the Perfect Pass becoming possessed? Mine has worked perfectly ever since my incident and I have been out four times since.

MYMC
05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Here is the first thing I need you to check...under the starboard front seat there is the "block off" panel that hides the electronics. Remove that panel and see if the "throttle" wire is connected. You can also check this by going to the "servo test" screen on your prefect pass. If this wire is not connected please do so and then run the servo test...let me know what the numbers are from neutral to wide open (key on engine off)...like I said this is long winded.

Paddle wheel isn't the issue here.

Ps. this was not caught on the assembly line until very recently.

P-Rod
05-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Bsimpson,

Actually, we were running a straight coarse when the perfect pass went "Wacko". After the incident, I turned off the perfect pass and then restarted it and the system worked fine the rest of the day.

MYMC
05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
P-rod is your boat an X-Star as well?

P-Rod
05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
No, I have a 2004 X-9 with MCX engine.

MYMC
05-26-2005, 12:20 PM
P-Rod, do you know if the "filter" was installed on your paddle wheel?

P-Rod
05-26-2005, 12:49 PM
P-Rod, do you know if the "filter" was installed on your paddle wheel?

I haven't checked the paddle wheel to see if it was installed. This was the first issue we have had with the perfect pass, so I never thought to check this out. :confused:

MYMC
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
You would know if it had been installed, they didnt come factory.