PDA

View Full Version : Engine/carb woes

h2oskifreak
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I had taken my 75 S & S to a guy (marine dealer) to change my impeller, v belt and fuel filter last week and was wanting to start my season this week. I called today to see if it was ready and he tells me "Impeller needed to be done, a bolt broke to the pully bracket, the water pump is leaking and the boat is running so rough it hardly runs and smokes a lot" The boat was purring like a kitten last year when put away. Maybe something in the carb dried out with non-use, but all this, all the sudden is disappointing at this time of year. He says "Getting to the h2o pump w/ a Ford 351 could involve pulling the motor". I'm not happy as you can imagine. I told him to get an invoice ready & I would p/u the boat. So... carb rebuild seems in order but what else to you educated folks have to say about the water pump and the broken bolt. I am pissed as I am ready to ski. I have another 19 foot runabout I can "free ski" to get over some soreness but am anxious to get this other boat up and running. Ideas appreciated.

TMCNo1
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
"Getting to the h2o pump w/ a Ford 351 could involve pulling the motor" is BS!

Slinkyredfoot
04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
"Getting to the h2o pump w/ a Ford 351 could involve pulling the motor" is BS!

Totally agree, removed my water pump on the 351 last night to install a new impeller, took me about 5 minutes to just remove the raw h2o pump.

Ubugme2
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I did my impeller also for the first time this year and it was EASY! As far as the bolt goes thats the mech fault and should fix himself. I have not pulled the water pump but there shold be enough room to replace with motor installed.

etduc
04-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I had taken my 75 S & S to a guy (marine dealer) to change my impeller, v belt and fuel filter last week and was wanting to start my season this week. I called today to see if it was ready and he tells me "Impeller needed to be done, a bolt broke to the pully bracket, the water pump is leaking and the boat is running so rough it hardly runs and smokes a lot" The boat was purring like a kitten last year when put away. Maybe something in the carb dried out with non-use, but all this, all the sudden is disappointing at this time of year. He says "Getting to the h2o pump w/ a Ford 351 could involve pulling the motor". I'm not happy as you can imagine. I told him to get an invoice ready & I would p/u the boat. So... carb rebuild seems in order but what else to you educated folks have to say about the water pump and the broken bolt. I am pissed as I am ready to ski. I have another 19 foot runabout I can "free ski" to get over some soreness but am anxious to get this other boat up and running. Ideas appreciated.

Are we talking raw water pump or engine water pump? Not familar with your ss, but on my Tristar...

I pulled my ski pylon and driver seat, to make changing my pump easier. There is a lot more room in a boat, than a car engine compartment.

TMCNo1
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Totally agree, removed my water pump on the 351 last night to install a new impeller, took me about 5 minutes to just remove the raw h2o pump.

Even the circulating pump replacement would not require engine removal, I just can't believe it!:(

Slinkyredfoot
04-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Yea, the circulating pump is right at the front of the motor, replaced that last summer after 29 years. The hardest part was getting the hoses off, took about an hour or so to do, no big deal.

h2oskifreak
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Great news. Sounds like he is tring to get to me. I am not mechanical, but I am reasonable intellegent and I couldn't believe as accessable as the various items look, it could be that hard. Thank you for some of the additional peace of mind. I won't take anything back to him. The broken bolt will be a pain, but I won't totally put it on him. It's an old boat and stuff happens, but very glad to hear the water pump isn't the huge issue he wanted to make of it. Down time is a drag and with the real estate market like it is the extra expense is not fun, but I refuse to be down long. Skiing is what I have been looking forward to for 6 months, so here come another rush order mechanic #2.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Good choice to dump mechanic number 1. Changing the water pump is a very basic job especially on an early boat like yours.

Don't necessarily jump on the rebuild your carb bandwagon because he says it runs terrible. There are a lot of basics that need to be attended to before doing the carb. Your points (assuming you haven't changed to electronic ignition) could be the culprit. You could also have an advance spring stuck.

Have mechanic number 2 start from scratch and you will probably be surprised what he finds.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

mayo93prostar
04-30-2009, 07:05 AM
if they broke the bolt, they should fix it but it sounds like it may not be worth the hassle. is it raw water pump or circulating pump?

Bellinghamster
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Since it sounds like mech #1 is jerking you around on the waterpump I kinda wonder if he goobered up the carb or ignition on purpose in order to have something else to "fix" and charge for... But then again, I'm pretty paranoid, and don't let anyone touch my stuff. (yeah, leaving myself wide open there for comments from the gutter-minded)

Changing a waterpump (raw or circulation) and impeller is very basic. Get yourself a set of tools, set aside a couple hours and dig in. (a decent set of tools will probably cost you less than you're going to pay for anyone else to even turn a wrench on your boat) We'll all help walk you through any questions.

If you don't want to try it yourself, keep in mind that a ford 351 is an automotive engine (with the exception of the raw water pump and a few marine-specific bits - carb, flame arrestor, fuel pump and alternator) to reduce the chance of fires.). You don't have to limit your service to the marine industry guys. If you have a trusted auto mechanic he'll be able to remove a broken off bolt and change a waterpump just as well (or probably better) than the marine shop guys. He may struggle with a proper shaft alignment or marine transmission rebuild, but for the on-engine stuff there are American V8 wrench-turners under every rock.

h2oskifreak
04-30-2009, 10:06 AM
if they broke the bolt, they should fix it but it sounds like it may not be worth the hassle. is it raw water pump or circulating pump?

I'm going to pick up the boat today and get "the story". I believe it is the raw water pump.

h2oskifreak
04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Since it sounds like mech #1 is jerking you around on the waterpump I kinda wonder if he goobered up the carb or ignition on purpose in order to have something else to "fix" and charge for... But then again, I'm pretty paranoid, and don't let anyone touch my stuff. (yeah, leaving myself wide open there for comments from the gutter-minded)

Changing a waterpump (raw or circulation) and impeller is very basic. Get yourself a set of tools, set aside a couple hours and dig in. (a decent set of tools will probably cost you less than you're going to pay for anyone else to even turn a wrench on your boat) We'll all help walk you through any questions.

If you don't want to try it yourself, keep in mind that a ford 351 is an automotive engine (with the exception of the raw water pump and a few marine-specific bits - carb, flame arrestor, fuel pump and alternator) to reduce the chance of fires.). You don't have to limit your service to the marine industry guys. If you have a trusted auto mechanic he'll be able to remove a broken off bolt and change a waterpump just as well (or probably better) than the marine shop guys. He may struggle with a proper shaft alignment or marine transmission rebuild, but for the on-engine stuff there are American V8 wrench-turners under every rock.

Thanks, I have all the tools and more. I am surely able to do everything I took it to him for and that is the burner. I just didn't want to deal with it for the $100.00 Now it looks like I will
pay for trying to make it easy on myself. I do have an excellent guy to take it to but he is very busy so time down is a concern. I guess I will free ski behind my Four Winns today and for a few more times until I get my S & S going again. I feel a lot better after all the input, confirming my thoughts that I made the right decision telling him to prepare the invoice and I will be down to let someone else work on it.