PDA

View Full Version : Pitot Clean

Shane21
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Does anyone else have a problem keeping the take-up (not sure if that's what it's called) under the boat free from debris? It's a small brass take-up underneath. I get trash in there regularly and have all kinds of problems with my speedo. I'll pull the tube loose and blow through and the speedo works fine, so I know it's in the little take-up. I've tried blowing it out with air, with water, with wire...I'm never sure if I get it completely clean or not and then it'll work for a while and then quit. Just looking for someone else who's fought this and won.

I guess skiing in cleaner water would help too.

ski_king
04-29-2009, 04:32 PM
If you upgrade your pitots with the ones skidim sells (I am sure your local dealer has them also), they will not clog nearly as often.

TMCNo1
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Keeping a Speedo Rooter onboard may also help,

russlars
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
If you can't find one of these ask your dentist for an old endodontic file (used for cleaning and shaping root canals). It is the same thing minus the pretty key fob. What you need is about a size 50, 60 or 70 to get the job done.

coz
04-29-2009, 07:32 PM

All this time I had one hanging on my keys and didn't know what the heck it was :confused:................ well............:rolleyes:..........it works good for cleaning the research tool after a little research :cool:

Shane21
04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks everybody...I'll give that a try. I didn't want to replace it b/c it didn't look like it would be easy to remove.

Gamble
05-01-2009, 01:34 AM
.......where would you find such a neat little tool!?

russlars
05-01-2009, 01:52 AM
See reply #4. If you want the official version, see your MC dealer.

Gamble
05-01-2009, 02:54 AM
I knew I should have been more specific........where else but the DEALER can you find them? I'm sure m/c will put it in our hinder on this tool too.......it's not something they make!

TMCNo1
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Those were given out in gift bags @ boat owner reunions several years back and dealers had them for sale at one time, but here is some info from WaterSki Magazine, I hope it is still a current number for you to contact,

Tired of boring out your speedo pickups with a nail? Or does dropping a precious drill bit under the transom get your goat? Then you may be interested in a neat little idea from Randy Rinkleib. His Speedo Rooter is specifically designed to pull gunk out of the intake without pushing the stuff farther in. Resembling a dental tool, the tiny Rooter ($2.50) comes with a floating key ring, and can be ordered in massive quantities - great for ski club promotions. Call 916-622-1056 for details.

Gamble
05-03-2009, 09:55 PM
thanks Harold!! I'll be callin' tomorrow........somethin' told me that it'd require a little digging to get one of those........had my suspicions about just finding one at a dealer!

Shane21
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey...TMCNo1. I called the 916-622-1056 number to get one and it said it was no longer a working number. Are they out of business or number change???

TMCNo1
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey...TMCNo1. I called the 916-622-1056 number to get one and it said it was no longer a working number. Are they out of business or number change???

That info came off the tag on the Speedo Rooter and here, http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12984, but now that the new paddlewheel speedo pickups and related speed control devices are being markets, maybe they had no reason to continue making them. Befriend a dentist and get a couple of his little drills for root canals and they do the same thing or use a drill bit that is just a bit smaller than the pitot hole.

CameronCarey
06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
I made one of those years ago using some Aircraft safety wire and a key chain, didn't know they had an official version......if other sources fail you might just show that picture to your local AC mechanic or Race Car shop, im sure they can whip one up for you in about 20 seconds

Jonathan94
06-26-2009, 01:01 PM
All this time I had one hanging on my keys and didn't know what the heck it was :confused:................ well............:rolleyes:..........it works good for cleaning the research tool after a little research :cool:

Thanks - I thought I was the only one who had something like that but didn't know what it was for!:)