PDA

View Full Version : Norris Lake, TN

mikeyg
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I heard that there are slalom courses somewhere in two different spots on the lake. Anyone on Norris ever heard of or seen these courses?

Craig
04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Someone from this site should be able to help you. I have never skied any of the courses on Norris but when I lived a summer in Knoxville these guys were very generous and helpful to me with regard to finding a pull.

http://www.skiersofknoxville.org/

Norris is such a beautiful lake.

MCVOLS
04-29-2009, 06:44 AM
On Norris, the ski club listed above has a course on Big Creek, which is near Sequoyah Marina. Almost anyone at that Marina can point you to it. There is also a privately owned course on Cove Creek, which is near Twin Cove Marina. Both of these are on the lower/dam end of the lake. I am not sure what may be on the upper end, as I don't spend much time there.

2RLAKE
04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
those are the only two of which i am aware ...

mikeyg
04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
thats awesome! Anyone know of any by Hickory Star or Big Ridge??

Brickf10
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
We have a house right next to Hickory Star for 25 years and the only ski courses I've seen are the ones mentioend before and by the Dam... it's quite a boat ride up there but worth it if you want to slalom.

mikeyg
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
anyone that is hitting the lake during the weekdays - let me know. I'm always looking for a bud to go out with for an afternoon ride. I am located near Hickory Star but could trailer elsewhere as well. I have been really trying to practice slalom and the sky ski!! I can't get enough of either so I always want to go out!!

mikeyg
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Of course.....Weekends too!!

mikeyg
06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
or right now!!

93Prostar190
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Little bit of thread jump .... I go to Norris every July - August ... we stay in a house on a cove between Flat Hollow Marina and Powell Valley.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed cell signals getting better on the lake .... we have dial-up at the house but I will be able to stay longer if I can get my AT&T signal to work closer to the house.

Anyone that has been there so far this year, is the cell signal any better for AT&T around the water? Thanks in advace for any help you can provide.

2RLAKE
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
i have an AT&T blackberry ... coverage is very sketchy at best. Several friends have Verizon and they get much better coverage

to answer your question ... no ... most weekends i just leave my bb in the Yukon ... am thinking of bringing down some stone tablets and a chisel

93Prostar190
06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response ... see you on the water later in July ..... Peace!

MCVOLS
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I second the verizon coverage on norris. I have sprint, and am lucky if I can make a call or text at all. My wife has verizon, and her blackberry works pretty well. We are typically up on the Big Creek end, near 2RLake. Not sure about the flat hollow area.

mikeyg
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
I have at&t and it's the only provider that works around my house. Had poor service with my old phone but recently upgraded and can now reach out pretty consistantly. I used to have to leave mine in the Ferrari but I can bring it with me now:) j/k

92 190 PS
06-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Just back from a week at Norris and have Verizon. It was tough to get service at the house in Big Creek, but on the lake the closer we were to Twin Cove or town (LaFollett) the better the service. I have verizon wireless and was able to replicate my email once a day to keep in touch with work (fortunately or unfortunately I guess, however you look at it). Enjoy your trip, Norris is an awesome lake.

197 TT
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Looking to take a long weekend in Norris mid-late September. It will only be the wife and I and our Dog. We will mostly be wakeboarding and relaxing, but I would like to get into the slalom course at least once each day.

Any recommendations on pet friendly places to stay?
Are the courses usually busy during the day? I could bring my own, but would rather not?

MattsCraft
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I was there the last week of July, there was a new course set up in a cove around the bend from Big Creek, heading toward Sequoyah Marina, on the right before the power lines.

norris_ps205
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Looking to take a long weekend in Norris mid-late September. It will only be the wife and I and our Dog. We will mostly be wakeboarding and relaxing, but I would like to get into the slalom course at least once each day.

Any recommendations on pet friendly places to stay?
Are the courses usually busy during the day? I could bring my own, but would rather not?
The motel at Shanghai is pet friendly. We stayed there quite a bit when we were building our place on Norris a couple years ago and always had the dog with us. They charge an extra $10, but their rates are reasonable and it's a nice, fairly new place. Here's the link...

http://www.shanghairesort.com/

Shanghai is about 20 minutes by boat from the Slalom course in the Big Creek area. Not sure if there is one closer.

dave46234
05-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I have service through Verizon and I'm able to get good reception on the water in the Powell Valley/Powell Valley Shores area, all the way to Flat Hollow on the water.

ski/hunt
05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
We will be heading to Norris many times this summer......can't talk and ski at same time so don't care about service just good to hear there is a course there!!:)

93Prostar190
07-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Norris friends ... headed down on Sunday for my week long trip. we are over in the FLat Hollow / Powell Valley side of things ..... any reports on the nearest slalom course?

Or am I going to need to burn 10 gallons each way to get close to the Dam?

Any slalom course updates would be great .... tempted to take down a portable course.

captain planet
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Take a portable with you! I was down there the 16th of June and the slalom course between Sequoya and Race Track was was unskiable. The slalom course that used to be down by the dam was gone. Uness anybody knows of any other courses I'd go prepared wit your own.

ski/hunt
07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Over the 4th weekend the course cp speaks of was still half under water. There was one that was good but it's up stokes hollow near twin cove marina...long way from where you will be! I'd say bring yours along. I would come ski with you but going out of town on Sunday!! Have fun!!