PDA

View Full Version : Minor water leak

yippikaiyay
04-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Here's a question for the engine experts. After de-winterization of my 97' 205, with the 5.7 GM, I fired it up and gave it a good visual looking for any leaks. All appeared well, when I noticed, a very fine spray, almost un-noticable, from directly behind the oil filter - which is on the port side, a few inches ahead of where the engine meets the transmission. It appeared to be spraying from the area directly behind the oil filter, downwards.
I was down on my knees looking almost under the oil pan when I noticed it.
So, I will monitor this leak to see if it increases, any one have some thoughts of what may be involved??
I have been told that anything related to a cracked block due to freezing over the winter, would be a large amount of water, not a fine spray like this. The engine was drained completely at all 4 drains.

loeweb
04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
To me it sounds like it could be the block. Have you checked the oil again to make sure that water isn't mixing with it (milkshake looking dipstick). Some experts will be by shortly, best of luck. can you tell where the leak is coming from ie. the block, a plug, a freeze plug, etc.?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Leaks from a cracked block can vary in size from a hairline crack to quite large. The only thing you can say for sure is they don't get smaller. And a cracked block doesn't have to leak water into the oil though they quite often do. With a non pressurized cooling system it is often-times more difficult to locate a leak because it necessitates having the engine running to locate it. You might try using a small mirror while you are standing on your head to try to see better. If the leak is from a very small crack it has the ability to spray farther than one would think so keep that in mind while searching for the source. There should be a GM guy with some more concrete thoughts along soon.

Too bad you couldn't take to Chicago and put it in the river on St. Patricks Day while they have the river dyed green. You could spot the leak easier.......................so could a guy put some food coloring in the hose leading to the fake-a-lake and actually make this work???