PDA

View Full Version : LH vs RH

ski_king
08-14-2004, 04:00 PM
As far as I know, Mastercrafts have always had LH rotation engines, which is the standard rotation of automotive engines. Also most every other inboard manufacture uses the LH ratation also.
For some reason Correct Craft's have always used RH rotation. The only others I have seen with the RH rotation are older wooden inboards such as Chris Craft's.

Why is it that? Is there a good reason?
Unless there is, it dosent make sense for the extra cost of special RH parts.

TNH2oSkier
08-14-2004, 04:41 PM
CC's reason for RH rotation is to counter the weight of the boat driver. Next time you have only a driver look how your boat sits as your skiing. It will be weighted towards the driver. If your RH rotation, and have only the driver it will set level when towing a skier. This basically holds true for one passenger also, but its not nearly as noticeable.

RH rotation is a definate disavantage when picking up skiers in the water. Everyone in my boat knows that you only pick up people in the water on the drivers side, that way you never loose sight of them. Cut your engine and the boats swim platform swings towards the right with no input from the driver. Do the same with a CC and it swings to the left.

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Not to be disagreeable --- everything that was said above is accurate as far as I can tell. But I have seen someone who can make a nautique back to the right with just the right combination of power and rudder. It appears to be an art though.

DanC
08-16-2004, 12:46 PM
TNH2Oskier is right on about the driver balance. In the "old" days many states did not require an observer and most boat shows pulled without an observer. And in the "old" days there was this event called trick skiing :D where wake shape was critical.

I could back my 87 and 90 Nautiques in either direction and always circled skiers on the driver side.

TNH2oSkier
08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
I have heard of people getting there Nautique to back right, I just cant make mine do it. It just makes my skiers have to swim more then when I had my MC.

lakes Rick
08-16-2004, 11:40 PM
About the LH RH rotation..

Friends 90 supra has the Transmission that angles to the prop shaft, rather than having the engine slanted, as MC does.. My understanding is the Supra trans has an additional drive gear in it, to accommodate the angled prop shaft, and that is what changes its prop rotation....

H20skeefreek
08-17-2004, 07:03 AM
About the LH RH rotation..

Friends 90 supra has the Transmission that angles to the prop shaft, rather than having the engine slanted, as MC does.. My understanding is the Supra trans has an additional drive gear in it, to accommodate the angled prop shaft, and that is what changes its prop rotation....

so the supra is RH? first i've heard of that.

DanC
08-17-2004, 12:55 PM
I am not familiar with the Supra situation but in 1990, Ski Nautiques went to 1.23:1 transmission that provided an angle between the motor and driveshaft so that the motor sat flat, parallel to the boat floor. It did not change the prop rotation.

lakes Rick
08-17-2004, 01:45 PM
DanC,

Same Transmission as my friends supra... I will have to check, but it sure seems like his was opposite of mine.. I will ask tonite..

We talked about swapping props a few years ago (when I had myTriStar) and I thought we were unable to because of wrong direction.... I could be wrong, but let me check......

jayderwin1
01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
so if you can back a RH to the right than you must beable to back a LH to the left. does any one know the trick for this, other that foward and reverse and moving the rudder over and over again?

rodltg2
01-29-2006, 10:21 PM
thats the only way ive been able to do it.

88 PS190
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Its all about the momentum, but whenever possible i come into the dock so that i can draw to the drivers side. much easier. No matter what you are gonna be jockying to get it to swing left.