PDA

View Full Version : Law Suit Cites Boat Design is Dangerous

trickskier
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Suit Cites Design In Deadly Boating Accident

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Two weeks after five people were killed and nine were hurt when a pleasure boat struck a construction barge on the Intracoastal Waterway, a lawsuit claims the manufacturer should have known its Bowrider was unreasonably dangerous.

State and federal investigators continue to gather evidence and conduct interviews into what caused the collision Easter Sunday just north of the Palm Valley Bridge. They said the results of its investigation are weeks or months away.

An attorney for three of those injured is not waiting for that report, filing court papers placing at least part of the blame on the boat's design.

In this lawsuit filed in federal court, attorney Rod Sullivan claims that the manufacturer -- Crownline -- knew its Bowrider design places passenger in front of the driver -- obstructing the view of objects in front of the boat -- and exposes persons on the bow to the risk of ejection.

Investigators still will not say who was driving or whether that person's view was blocked because 14 people were on board the boat -- two more than its recommended capacity.

While the suit acknowledges numerous factors caused or contributed to the accident, it claims "one of those factors was the presence of passengers on the bow ... who obstructed the view of the boat's driver."

Coast Guard officials were careful to stay away from the specifics of the lawsuit, but say they differentiate between a Bowrider-style boat that has front seating and bow-riding, when passengers hang their legs or lean off the front end of the boat.

TMCNo1
04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
I just knew there was something special about a closed bow 190, that's why we've kept ours so long!:rolleyes::D
We had it right the whole time!

Hrkdrivr
04-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah....

This is just like all the reports that blame accidents on SUVs, like evil SUVs cause accidents all on their own, rather than stupid drivers.

Looks like they're just looking for another corporate deep-pocket to sue on behalf of their clients.

SkiDog
04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I just knew there was something special about a closed bow 190, that's why we've kept ours so long!:rolleyes::D
We had it right the whole time!

Don't rock the boat!:D

trickskier
04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah....

This is just like all the reports that blame accidents on SUVs, like evil SUVs cause accidents all on their own, rather than stupid drivers.

Looks like they're just looking for another corporate deep-pocket to sue on behalf of their clients.

Isn't that the American way??? :(

Hrkdrivr
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Isn't that the American way??? :(

Yep...ain't it sad???

CantRepeat
04-27-2009, 07:53 PM
How many open bow boats on the market? What a pinhead to file a lawsuit on the design of the "open bow" boat. Good grief Charlie Brown.

TX.X-30 fan
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
The Unilateral Disarmament Democrats: Putting Trial Lawyers Ahead of Your Family's Safety
by Newt Gingrich

02/20/2008

It's hard to think of an action that has put as many lives at risk as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D.-Calif.) declaration of unilateral disarmament in the War on Terror last week.

By refusing to renew our ability to monitor terrorist communications overseas, Speaker Pelosi has put Americans at risk. She has blinded our counterterrorism capability and shut down America's most sophisticated defenses against the irreconcilable wing of Islam. As of midnight last Saturday, the law governing America's defense is totally inadequate to stop terrorists.

Why? Because the Democratic left believes lining the pockets of trial lawyers is more important than stopping terrorists.

Suing Telecom Companies for Helping Keep America Safe

At issue is the extension of the Protect America Act that was passed last August to allow U.S. intelligence agencies to monitor foreigner-to-foreigner communications without a warrant. Congress has known for six months that this ability under the Protect America Act was set to expire on Sunday. So last week, by an overwhelmingly bipartisan majority, the Senate passed legislation to prevent the authority from lapsing.

But the House Democratic leadership, led by Speaker Pelosi, refused to let the House vote on the bill. This led to a House GOP walk out led by Minority Leader John Boehner (Ohio), who said, "We will not stand idly by and watch the floor of the United States House of Representatives be abused for pure, political grandstanding at the expense of our national security."

Why? Not because the bill lacked bipartisan support, but because it lacked trial lawyer support. The Senate-passed bill contains a provision granting immunity from lawsuits to telecommunications companies that have been cooperating with the government in the War on Terror.

Instead of putting her fellow Democrats in a position where they have to make a public vote in favor of trial lawyers over the safety of Americans, Speaker Pelosi opted to leave Washington for vacation.

Its all about the money. :mad::mad:

shepherd
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Now TX, why did you want to take Tricky's informative public service thread (re: bowriders are dangerous!!!) and jack it with that political trash??? :cool::cool::rolleyes:

bbymgr
04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
The Unilateral Disarmament Democrats: Putting Trial Lawyers Ahead of Your Family's Safety
by Newt Gingrich

02/20/2008

It's hard to think of an action that has put as many lives at risk as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D.-Calif.) declaration of unilateral disarmament in the War on Terror last week.

By refusing to renew our ability to monitor terrorist communications overseas, Speaker Pelosi has put Americans at risk. She has blinded our counterterrorism capability and shut down America's most sophisticated defenses against the irreconcilable wing of Islam. As of midnight last Saturday, the law governing America's defense is totally inadequate to stop terrorists.

Why? Because the Democratic left believes lining the pockets of trial lawyers is more important than stopping terrorists.

Suing Telecom Companies for Helping Keep America Safe

At issue is the extension of the Protect America Act that was passed last August to allow U.S. intelligence agencies to monitor foreigner-to-foreigner communications without a warrant. Congress has known for six months that this ability under the Protect America Act was set to expire on Sunday. So last week, by an overwhelmingly bipartisan majority, the Senate passed legislation to prevent the authority from lapsing.

But the House Democratic leadership, led by Speaker Pelosi, refused to let the House vote on the bill. This led to a House GOP walk out led by Minority Leader John Boehner (Ohio), who said, "We will not stand idly by and watch the floor of the United States House of Representatives be abused for pure, political grandstanding at the expense of our national security."

Why? Not because the bill lacked bipartisan support, but because it lacked trial lawyer support. The Senate-passed bill contains a provision granting immunity from lawsuits to telecommunications companies that have been cooperating with the government in the War on Terror.

Instead of putting her fellow Democrats in a position where they have to make a public vote in favor of trial lawyers over the safety of Americans, Speaker Pelosi opted to leave Washington for vacation.

Its all about the money. :mad::mad:

What does this have to do with the boat accident and or law suit involving the boat accident?:(:(

trickskier
Now TX, why did you want to take Tricky's informative public service thread (re: bowriders are dangerous!!!) and jack it with that political trash??? :cool::cool::rolleyes:

Because he doesn't have anything better to do..................8p

shepherd
In this lawsuit filed in federal court, attorney Rod Sullivan claims that the manufacturer -- Crownline -- knew its Bowrider design places passenger in front of the driver -- obstructing the view of objects in front of the boat -- and exposes persons on the bow to the risk of ejection.

Well, there goes my insurance rates! :mad:

God I hate our legal system...

trickskier
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM

I'm thinking about installing seatbelts in the bow..............That should cover the ejection part.........:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
What does this have to do with the boat accident and or law suit involving the boat accident?:(:(

Are you following me?? :mad:

I should not have to explain this, buuuuuut I believe the dip-sh!t that filed this crap is a trial attorney that heavily funds democrats in judgeship and all other elections. This is not a secret, why do they have asbestos law suits in south Texas, because the judge is friendly ;)

What party is the friend of plaintiffs lawyers?? Very topical in my opinion.

TX.X-30 fan
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking about installing seatbelts in the bow..............That should cover the erection part.........:rolleyes:

Talk about off topic, how the hell will seatbelts stop erections in the bow???

SkiDog
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM

Don't believe it could in my boat!:D:D:D

jdl xstar
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
if that lawyer has a problem with open bow ejections, I wonder what he thinks of motorcycles. :rolleyes:

flipper
04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
The typical "It couldn't possible be my fault" law suit. Drives me friggin nuts. I'm sorry that people lost their lives, I am, but you can't blame anybody but the driver. If this doesn't work out for them, what next? Go after the gas station for selling them fuel? Maybe the prop company for making their boat go so fast? I know, they should go after the rain gods for filling the river up with water in the first place. If there wasn't any water, it would have never happened.

shepherd
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
I think the rain gods, like poor people, are "judgment-proof." Corporations with assets and insurance policies aren't.

Monte
04-27-2009, 10:31 PM

God I hate our legal system...

Naaah.. To the little men in sterile rooms who calculate the formularies it won't be a blip on the radar..:rolleyes:

Now to the boat manufacturers, it could mean really funny looking boats:(

JohnE
04-27-2009, 10:38 PM
The typical "It couldn't possible be my fault" law suit. Drives me friggin nuts. I'm sorry that people lost their lives, I am, but you can't blame anybody but the driver. If this doesn't work out for them, what next? Go after the gas station for selling them fuel? Maybe the prop company for making their boat go so fast? I know, they should go after the rain gods for filling the river up with water in the first place. If there wasn't any water, it would have never happened.

Just go after the tug manufacturer for building too sturdy a boat.

Monte
04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Just go after the tug manufacturer for building too sturdy a boat.

Shhhh dayumit.. The case is building:mad::rolleyes::D

scott023
04-27-2009, 10:47 PM
What a joke... god knows it couldn't possibly be the operators fault. Sheesh, like other have said, there aren't enough people in the world that accept responsibility for their poor decisions. :mad:

shepherd
04-28-2009, 12:58 AM
What a joke... god knopws it couldn't possibly be the operators fault. Sheesh, like other have said, there aren't enough people in the world that accept responsibility for their poor decisions. :mad:

You know, it seems like everyone says that, but get them in a jury box and roll out the poor little victim-plaintiff in her wheelchair with tears running down her face, and look at the suits sitting at the defendant's table................... give the poor girl $5 million!!! :rolleyes:
Don't blame the lawyers, blame the idiots in the jury box and the judge sitting on the bench.

CantRepeat
04-28-2009, 05:57 AM
if that lawyer has a problem with open bow ejections, I wonder what he thinks of motorcycles. :rolleyes:

Damn good point!!

trickskier
04-28-2009, 06:38 AM

I knew you would take the bait........................:D

trickskier
04-28-2009, 06:50 AM
You know, it seems like everyone says that, but get them in a jury box and roll out the poor little victim-plaintiff in her wheelchair with tears running down her face, and look at the suits sitting at the defendant's table................... give the poor girl $5 million!!! :rolleyes:
Don't blame the lawyers, blame the idiots in the jury box and the judge sitting on the bench.

Very true Shep................A jury acquitted O.J. the first time with a nursery rhyme...........If it doesn't fit you must acquit..........8p:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
I knew you would take the bait........................:D

I am weak. :D

captain planet
04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Now TX, why did you want to take Tricky's informative public service thread (re: bowriders are dangerous!!!) and jack it with that political trash???

What does this have to do with the boat accident and or law suit involving the boat accident?:(

No kidding TX. Give it a rest already. :( If you want to biotch about something, do it about the lawyer that is filing this absurd lawsuit. This HARDLY has anything to do with politics.

scott023
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I know I'll get it from the americans for this... but the system down there is messed up. I will cite the ridiculous amount of judge shows where people are suing for $130 for a botched hair cut etc. Everyone sues for everything. How about the guys family who sued because the Porsche he bought went too fast and he killed himself driving it?

Sh!t goes on forever... again, not being responsible in the first place is one thing, not accepting responsibility for the result is another. We all make mistakes, learn from them instead of blaming someone else for them.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2009, 10:02 AM

This goes right back to my stance that your average person is a complete idiot.

woftam
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Yep. Plenty of examples of stupid awards.
I find the one about McDonalds not sufficently warning their customers that coffee is often served hot and can burn if spilled into one's lap to be among the most sadly amusing.

stuartmcnair
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Is the maximum occupancy sticker a law or a suggestion?

I thought if you were in violation of a law you got a ticket. If you get ticketed in an accident then it is your fault. If it is your fault how can you sue?

Also, aren't barges pretty darn big?

trickskier
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Is the maximum occupancy sticker a law or a suggestion?

I thought if you were in violation of a law you got a ticket. If you get ticketed in an accident then it is your fault. If it is your fault how can you sue?

Also, aren't barges pretty darn big?

The sticker says Maximum People or Combined Weight..............Not sure if they were under the Combined Weight Limit..............

It was a small barge used for installing docks.

russlars
04-28-2009, 11:16 AM
If someone wants to sue, it seems to me that the one being sued should be the operator for poor driving/exceeding boat capacity/failing to yield right of way/failing to clear their view from obstructions, etc., etc., etc.:twocents:

TMCNo1
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
If someone wants to sue, it seems to me that the one being sued should be the operator for poor driving/exceeding boat capacity/failing to yield right of way/failing to clear their view from obstructions, etc., etc., etc.:twocents:

I figure the lawyers know the boat manufacturer has more money than the dead operators estate, so.........................:mad: