PDA

View Full Version : 95 Maristar Muffler Removal

kla
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I am trying to get the mufflers off my 95 Maristar 201. I believe that they both are leaking water and from what I have read, I could put a fiberglass patch on them and reinstall. The issue is I removed the clamps that hold the exhaust hose on, but the muffler is frozen. I can't get the mufflers to turn an inch. How do I get them out? Ideas?
Thx

CantRepeat
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
take a flat end screw driver and run it under the hose slowly, and do it all the way around. Once the flexable hose comes loss the mufflers should come right out.

samtechwaterski
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I did this a few weeks ago. I tried the method listed above and for me it didnt work. The hose had fused to the muffler. I had to cut it out.

Sam

rholmes
04-28-2009, 01:32 AM
I took some soapy water and sprayed it into the gap and combined it with the screwdriver trick (pry and spray). Just be sure to run the screw driver between the hose and muffler slowly. I think I even added some wd40 at times. It took a while, but a little wiggling, working the screwdriver in a circle and lots o lube got it done.

kla
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
The job has begun. Thanks to everyone for the tips. Liberal use of WD 40, using the screwdriver to break it lose and old fashion elbow grease got the job done.

The passenger side came out fairly easily, but the driver side was much more difficult. Ended up removing the alternator to get it out. The mufflers appear to have some rot on the inside and have few pin hole leaks that were not apparent until we filled the muffler with water. I suspect that under pressure they leaked at a fairly rapid pace. It looks almost like I could just put a spot of JB Weld on the holes and they would be fixed. The original plan was to fiberglass over the holes and reinstall, after taking a look at the inside I think I will replace.

My mufflers are 17" x 3 3/8". Can I find an exact replacement or will I need to buy one of the 13" and cut new exhaust hose? Anyone have any thoughts on this? The 2 sites I have looked on are ...
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1025 http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/mufflers.cfm

Thoughts?

jasonba1
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
You can get the origianl mufflers through Jim Jackson at viper customs his number is 865-388-4096. He is very reasonable in prices

kla
05-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Just spoke to Jim. Seems like a nice guy. He is in Maryville, TN. He is shipping me 2 mufflers for delivery next week and he had pretty good prices to boot.

Thanks for the name and number.

jmcentire
07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
My 95 Maristar's mufflers are leaking as well...how much were the replacements(if you don't mind)?

atlfootr
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Now THIS is what we're all about :D
GREAT ADVICE, GREAT FOLLOW THOUGH in helping out new members.

kla
07-23-2009, 11:04 AM
If I remember correctly about $120 per muffler. I was planning on putting on some fiberglass patches. After I got them off I filled them with water to see where the leaks were. There were dozens and dozes of little pinhole leaks. Seemed to be a better idea to replace at that point. The 1st set of mufflers that I got from Jim were the wrong model. He took them back with no problem and shipped me the correct ones. After I received the 1st incorrect shipment, I took some photos and sent them to Jim. I think that was helpful. Jim was very helpful and I would definitely do business with him again. Be aware that replacing the mufflers is a dirty job in tight quarters (on my boat) also take a look at the stuffing around the shaft at the thru hull. It may need to be replaced as well.

Good Luck
KLA