View Full Version : 94 PS Throttle Handle Safety Release

04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
The little detent / spring thing on my throttle does not engage as it should when the lever is positioned back to the "up" or "nuetral" position. Therefore, the boat can too easily be put in gear, now that we have kids on board... I can still manually push down on the little bowl shaped thing under the ball and lock it in - and can see what is supposed to happen, so it sorta works.

Is there a spring or something I can get to by taking this apart & cleaning? I took off the 3 screws that attach the whole thing to the boat, but then I had this big assy. I'm hoping someone has feedback before I continue to disassemble the unit? Don't want to mess anything up...


04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Bump - Anyone? Bueller?

05-11-2009, 05:50 PM
FYI - if anyone else is having this issue, there is a small set screw at the bottom of the shift lever that allows it to be removed. Then, in my case, the gunk can be cleaned out of the spring via WD-40 and recoated w/silicone spray.

The other option is to do what I did - remove the lever assy from boat, then continue to take almost completely apart, and finally realize the little friggin set screw on the bottom...

The only good thing is I now know how the throttle arm mechanism works, including the little silver thing to pull out to take the boat out of gear....

05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Skidim? If you can buy parts they would either be able to get them, or tell you how.

05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I had the same problem on my ps 190 (1990) The Morse MV2 control was original and the spring was well worn, had to replace with whole unit though you could probably get away with just a new lever. just my opinion

05-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Ben - I have a '94 PS also. It has a similar problem, so your input was helpful. I'll be fixing mine in the next few weeks. Thanks

05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Ben - I have a '94 PS also. It has a similar problem, so your input was helpful. I'll be fixing mine in the next few weeks. Thanks

I used A LOT of WD-40, and also blew it out with air. It was very gunked up, not sure from what. Anyway, seems to work OK now - din't have to replace the spring. That looked like a bit of a harder task, would need to press out a small pin to get to it. You'll see.

WI - hopefully you're starting to get in the water now. I'm finishing up a ballast install, otherwise may have been out tonight...

06-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I was just about to post this same question. Looks like I'll be jumping on this next week.