PDA

View Full Version : Binding and Rear Toe Plate Location

RoscoB190
05-19-2005, 11:45 AM
I just recently purchase a new ski and I've never had to deal with positioning the binding and RTP before. I used to ski on a Connelly Revolution of which the adjustable binding and RTP was fixed in one position. Should I set the skis side by side and try to place the binding and RTP based the there location on my old ski or is it just trial and error? Thanks for your help. :)

etduc
05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Trial and error. Minor repositioning can make huge difference in performance. (At any ability level)

Plus, who's to say the old ski had the bindings in the correct position.

MarkP
05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Does your new ski have Inserts for the bolts?? What ski is it? The manufacture more than likely has specs for binding placement..

RoscoB190
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Does your new ski have Inserts for the bolts?? What ski is it? The manufacture more than likely has specs for binding placement..

It's a 2003 Connelly F1 and it does have inserts for the bolts. How would I go about finding these specs?

Thanks for your help guys!

MarkP
05-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Look for F 1 binding placement at this link http://eclipse.nicholls.edu/cgi-bin/BBS/webbbs_config.pl?frames

MarkP
05-19-2005, 12:21 PM
I think if you just scroll down in the top box you will find it..

ski_king
05-19-2005, 12:21 PM
This link (http://www.connellyskis.com/skiscms/media/F1_Fin_Details.pdf) may help you with the setup as well.

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah, give the Nicholls folks a call. Schnitz probably has some binding placement info on his board, too. You may have to sift through some fin tweaking stuff to get there though.

RoscoB190
05-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys! That info will help a lot! :toast:

John B
05-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I red once that all the way forward for beginners,in the middle for intermediates,And all the way back for the Big Boys.
After reading I put mine as for forward as I could.
But that was three year ago,I think I might start moving them back. :D
With I bindings forward the ski should a little more easy to handle, and more forgiving.(I think)

betsy&david Harrison
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I red once that all the way forward for beginners,in the middle for intermediates,And all the way back for the Big Boys.
After reading I put mine as for forward as I could.
But that was three year ago,I think I might start moving them back. :D
With I bindings forward the ski should a little more easy to handle, and more forgiving.(I think)
The guy we ski with that skies at 38 off tells us that you put it up as far forward as possible just like you have it. It helps to keep the ski on edge and more pressure on the front of the ski. Makes the wakes turn to butter my friend! Hey, When do you want to come up? You must be skiing in pretty cold water. Not me! :D PM me...we are going up this weekend. B

stevo137
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
The guy we ski with that skies at 38 off tells us that you put it up as far forward as possible just like you have it. It helps to keep the ski on edge and more pressure on the front of the ski. Makes the wakes turn to butter my friend! Hey, When do you want to come up? You must be skiing in pretty cold water. Not me! :D PM me...we are going up this weekend. B

What they said.

east tx skier
05-20-2005, 10:32 AM
I hadn't heard that before. Interesting. My CDX has worked best with the front boot 1 back and the rear boot 2 back. Of course, HOs sometimes work a little better riding the tail (at least the old ones).

USC8791
05-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Place them at stock settings to begin with. Do not move them until you can consistently find a balanced position on the ski; then you can move them to fine tune your skiing. If you move them to compensate for bad skiing form you will never reach your full potential. Kind of like turning the golf club face over the ball to start with to correct a slice instead of fixing your swing.

A while back I wanted to move my bindings forward because I kept getting on the back of the ski and stalling it out. According to my coach, there weren't any holes on the tip of the ski. The problem wasn't binding placement, it was body position.

I could be wrong of course; FWIW.

east tx skier
05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I think you're probably right. Looking back, I wasn't particularly uncomfortable with the original settings. My form probably wasn't better with one setting over the other. I do feel me new setup is better this way though. Of course, what's "stock" is different from ski to ski.

Jorski
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I think the idea that there is one guideline (as stated above) that will work for all body sizes, ski sizes, and ski types is unlikely.

It seems more often than not, the experts are finding a sweet spot from which to start on each ski, and it is different on the same ski in different sizes.

I would email one of top riders or top ski schools who use your ski..they will give you the best starting point. For my HO Phantom Truth, Matt Rini gave me an email suggesting 'front boot forward one whole and RTP back one whole from stock" as well as DFT, depth, and wing angle.

You will need a caliper to get this right. Then I would go to a good ski school and have them observe your skiing and make any necessary tweaks.

The other sight where you can get some help is John Horton's sites: SlalomTweakers.com and PersonalProSkier.com

betsy&david Harrison
05-20-2005, 01:13 PM
I think the idea that there is one guideline (as stated above) that will work for all body sizes, ski sizes, and ski types is unlikely.

It seems more often than not, the experts are finding a sweet spot from which to start on each ski, and it is different on the same ski in different sizes.

I would email one of top riders or top ski schools who use your ski..they will give you the best starting point. For my HO Phantom Truth, Matt Rini gave me an email suggesting 'front boot forward one whole and RTP back one whole from stock" as well as DFT, depth, and wing angle.

You will need a caliper to get this right. Then I would go to a good ski school and have them observe your skiing and make any necessary tweaks.

The other sight where you can get some help is John Horton's sites: SlalomTweakers.com and PersonalProSkier.com

Funny you should mention John Horton...my friend that I mentioned in my last post, skied with him for years and taught at Horton Lakes for Dr. Jack.Dave Hogle is our personal coach. John skies on the lake behind mine and we visit often. He reminds us all of Syndrome on the Incredibles..sounds just like him too. B

Jorski
05-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Funny you should mention John Horton...my friend that I mentioned in my last post, skied with him for years and taught at Horton Lakes for Dr. Jack.Dave Hogle is our personal coach. John skies on the lake behind mine and we visit often. He reminds us all of Syndrome on the Incredibles..sounds just like him too. B
Did you see the piece on one of morning shows recently (NBC) on Dr. Horton and his waterskiing ? I think that there is still a link up on skifly where you can view it..it was pretty good. He still rips it almost every day !

betsy&david Harrison
05-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Jorski..

I didn't see it but I'm sure I will see Dr. Jack this weekend up in our area. There is a big ski tournament at Paradise Lakes which is 4 lakes in front of us. His grandson, not Syndrome's, is a very good skier now. David and I used to go out and ski at Horton's before we had our place. Long drive from the coast. Dr. Jack once helped me out with a hip problem I was having a while back. He and Syndrome don't see eye-to-eye. They are both creative and innovative and are very much alike and that is probably why they don't get along.

RoscoB190
05-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Well, I took the ski out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. I started with the ski in stock position. After one run it was pretty obvious I need to move the binding and rear toe plate up a notch. Once I made this adjustment the ski was really smooth. That think flippin' rips compared to my old ski. Every run got progressively better. Thanks again to everyone for your words of wisdom. I really appreciate it! :)

MarkP
05-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, I took the ski out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. I started with the ski in stock position. After one run it was pretty obvious I need to move the binding and rear toe plate up a notch. Once I made this adjustment the ski was really smooth. That think flippin' rips compared to my old ski. Every run got progressively better. Thanks again to everyone for your words of wisdom. I really appreciate it! :)Sweet, glag to hear it. I would love to try one of the newer F 1s

ski_king
05-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Mark, where are you going to place your boot on the new ski?

MarkP
05-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Denny

Right in the middle cause I only got one. But I guess when I get the other one (the front one got stuck in Grove City Ohio) its going to go on at 29 ľ and Iíll see how that feels.

BriEOD
05-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Denny

Right in the middle cause I only got one. But I guess when I get the other one (the front one got stuck in Grove City Ohio) its going to go on at 29 ľ and Iíll see how that feels.

Mark,

Never made it out today. The only thing that towed me around was the self propulsion on the lawnmower. :rolleyes: