PDA

View Full Version : No Spark!

Brucemco
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Problem: no spark from wires to plugs (from cap):

History: New starter and 2 new Solenoids last year (Nov 08) (the 1st was not a marine so I changed it), boat died on lake and had to get towed in (by a jetski, how embarrassing).

The only other challenge with the boat is I disconnected the kill switch (it was faulty an I needed quick-fix (this was 4 years ago!).

Boat: Prostar 190 power slot, 1988, 351, no mods (and no problems, till now):

Any help would be appreciated:
Thx.

TMCNo1
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I would be tempted to go ahead and replace/reconnect the kill switch and eliminate that part of the equation, cause you may have problems with the bypass connection after 4 years.

Gamble
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd do exactly what was mentioned by #1 and if that doesn't work, check your coil.

JimN
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Problem: no spark from wires to plugs (from cap):

History: New starter and 2 new Solenoids last year (Nov 08) (the 1st was not a marine so I changed it), boat died on lake and had to get towed in (by a jetski, how embarrassing).

The only other challenge with the boat is I disconnected the kill switch (it was faulty an I needed quick-fix (this was 4 years ago!).

Boat: Prostar 190 power slot, 1988, 351, no mods (and no problems, till now):

Any help would be appreciated:
Thx.

How long since you checked the timing, cap, rotor and points (if it has them)? A bad condenser will cause this, too.

If these have been checked and you have the electronic ignition module, get another coil wire but check the other stuff first.

What's the rest of the service history in the last 3 years?

Brucemco
04-26-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks to all,

I will work through these starting with a new kill switch.

As for service history; she has only needed a spring check-up and off to the h2o. Spring 07 was a little bigger though, all new from the plugs to the cap & guts... plus a carb. rebuild.

The typical spring svc. is: impeller, check plugs, check points, cap, roter & go.

What are your views on switching over to the electronic ignition?

TMCNo1
04-27-2009, 12:07 AM
What are your views on switching over to the electronic ignition?

Once you get it running, it's one of the best upgrades you can do. Here is a great tutorial on the DIY project, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition
and comments on the project.

Gamble
04-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I'll second that! Electronic Ignition will be the best money you'll ever spend. boat wil run better, start easier, and you won't have to mess w/points!