PDA

View Full Version : Long storage time effects

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 08:56 AM
I've been throwing around an idea, and I'd like to see what some of you guys think. My family has a cottage up in Maine overlooking the Penobscot Bay, I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading boats in a few years, not necessarily much newer, but definitely in better shape. Anyway, I've tossed around the idea of taking my PS190 and leaving it at our cottage up there. It would be used primarily in salt water, which isn't great, but with proper maintenance and meticulouos cleaning the ill effects can be minimized. What worries me more than the salt water usage though is the fact that it would probably only get 1 maybe 2 weeks of usage a season. Now those would be full days of usage, but will the 11 months of sitting in storage be more hassle than it's worth? It's just too much to trailer a boat from Florida to Maine for one week at a time. It just seems like a waste to have a place like that and not have a boat readily available.

T Scott
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Salt Usage...it is really hard on an inboard ski boat. Even with the best flushing, etc., saltwater will corrode your manifolds over time. You might consider an outboard Mastercraft as they will hold up in salt 10 times better than an inboard. (I happen to know where you can get one in excellent shape :) )

Storage....I would be most concerned about fuel going stale. Even with Sta-bil or similar products, 11 months is a long time to sit without being used.

Depriciation... I personally wouldn't invest a ton of money on a boat that will be sitting ina garage depriciating. I'd pick up a 87-90 MC for $7-9k. That way, all the depriciation is over and you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Just my 2 cents......

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I'd have to go with sell the place in Maine and buy a place on the water in FL (not that Maine isn't a nice place and all). I could be wrong, but I think there would be some likelihood of your spending the first day each year messing with the carb unless you drained it for layup (but that might have other issues I don't know). All boats like to be run a little more than that, but especially older carbureted boats. Layups like that tend to wear on these boats from what I've seen when I was looking.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Just a thought, I'll probably just sell this one when i do upgrade. As far as the house in Maine goes, we've had it for about 60 years, it holds a lot of sentimental value and will probably be in the family for eternity. I like Florida, but Maine is probably one of the most beautiful states in the Union, and I wouldn't trade that place for anything. The lakes up there are gorgeous, too, but they have very unforgiving bottoms, as does any water in Maine.

sfitzgerald351
05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
DON'T SELL THE PLACE IN MAINE! Penobscot Bay is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. and this is coming from someone who has been to almost every national park we have.

However, although the bay is generally calm, I'd buy a small outboard whaler or something like that. With kids and such great places to visit around there, why limit yourself to just ski runs? I'd want to be able to head out to the outer islands for picnics, to other towns for drinks, etc... and have a boat that's a bit me sea-worthy than an MC. I taught waterskiing in San Diego and on our busy days when the 5 nautiques couldn't support all the students we'd pull out the whalers and ski behind them as well. They don't track that well, but the wake is actually pretty darn good. It's the best wake I've seen for a non-inboard ski boat. If you put a ski pylon in it in front of the outboard you can improve the tracking quite a bit (though it will still get pulled side to side a little). Maintenance is almost nil and a decent outboard will survive the salt no problem.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
DON'T SELL THE PLACE IN MAINE! Penobscot Bay is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. and this is coming from someone who has been to almost every national park we have.

However, although the bay is generally calm, I'd buy a small outboard whaler or something like that. With kids and such great places to visit around there, why limit yourself to just ski runs? I'd want to be able to head out to the outer islands for picnics, to other towns for drinks, etc... and have a boat that's a bit me sea-worthy than an MC. I taught waterskiing in San Diego and on our busy days when the 5 nautiques couldn't support all the students we'd pull out the whalers and ski behind them as well. They don't track that well, but the wake is actually pretty darn good. It's the best wake I've seen for a non-inboard ski boat. If you put a ski pylon in it in front of the outboard you can improve the tracking quite a bit (though it will still get pulled side to side a little). Maintenance is almost nil and a decent outboard will survive the salt no problem.

Like I said, I wouldn't trade that place for anything. I'd like to get my Dad to start bringing his bayliner up, it handles rougher water better than my MC does and it's big enough to head out to most of the islands and local towns. He's got a much shorter trek than me, too (Sothern Jersey). I have considered getting a barefoot 200 even for here to use in salt water since I'm only 5 miles from the intracoastal waterway, and 42 miles form the closest good ski lake. I don't want to put my PS in the salt. Although I probably can't fit a BF200 in my garage. I would consider towing to Maine with it if I had more than a week up there since it takes two full days of driving on each end of the trip.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 10:35 AM
You might consider an outboard Mastercraft as they will hold up in salt 10 times better than an inboard. (I happen to know where you can get one in excellent shape :) )

TScott, it you weren't going to be selling that boat for another 2 years, I'd be all over it. Like I said, salt water usage even in Florida is much more convenient for me than fresh, and an outboard is much easier to maintain in a salt water environment.

east tx skier
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
For the record, I wasn't seriously suggesting that you sell your place in Maine.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 12:39 PM
For the record, I wasn't seriously suggesting that you sell your place in Maine.

I figured that, but I would love to have a boat up there.

mika
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Well I can not talk much about salt water. I have only boated in fresh.

But to fuel quality check this out

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/

I have used their products in snowmobiles and been very impressed with the results. I did not really see a performance gain but I did get slightly better gas mileage with it. And the fuel always smelled very fresh even after a year. But I have no scientific information to back it up. Someone here might know more about this them me.

jsonova99
05-19-2005, 02:22 PM
If I ever left a boat up there I would probably just drain it at the end of the season and run the carb dry. That's what we always did with the outboard we had up there and those things lasted forever, hell, we had one for about 35 years before something broke in it that was no longer manufactured.